The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

More questions on response

Forums General Melanoma Community More questions on response

Participant

Hi all! I posted a question regarding responses for people who had sub-q's. The responses I received were great. One of the key takeaways for me was people noticed tenderness/soreness in and around the sub-q. So a few questions….

How long did soreness/tenderness last?

How long until you noticed it shrinking? Days…weeks?

For those that had multiple sub-q's…did this happen one by one or was it something that happened simultaneously in all tumors?

Reason I ask is that I have roughly a 2-3CM tumor in my shoulder (deltoid). That thing started getting really sore and hard Thursday nightish. It stayed that way until today. It's still firm and tender but not as bad. Can't really say it shrunk yet which is why I ask. I'm cautiously optimistic and know responses vary…rapid to over time. If this is in fact inflammatory immune response, I don't know what to expect as I have no experience. I'm praying this sucker is being broken down as I write this. I appreciate anyone who can share. I found it encouraging that people said they experienced this and the it happened to me but I'm tempering expectations. Thanks…. Be well!

Josh

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant

Hey Josh, I don't have experience w/subQs but had one nasty soft tissue tumor in cheek(golf ball size) that popped through inside of mouth. I noticed shrinking right away after one week on Keytruda. Two to three times a week my tumor would swell get tender/painful and on those days would feel lousy w/aches, pains, nausea and slight fever. Just typical side effects from treatment. I also had this with Ippi/Nivo combo but much less… I ended up failing the combo though. Did low dose Chemo between combo and Pembro. My tumor became partially necrotic but grew by a third. Doc thinks the chemo pissed it off and Pembro finished the job!

Keep it up my friend you inspire us all…

Best, Paul

Casitas1
          Participant

Hey Josh, I don't have experience w/subQs but had one nasty soft tissue tumor in cheek(golf ball size) that popped through inside of mouth. I noticed shrinking right away after one week on Keytruda. Two to three times a week my tumor would swell get tender/painful and on those days would feel lousy w/aches, pains, nausea and slight fever. Just typical side effects from treatment. I also had this with Ippi/Nivo combo but much less… I ended up failing the combo though. Did low dose Chemo between combo and Pembro. My tumor became partially necrotic but grew by a third. Doc thinks the chemo pissed it off and Pembro finished the job!

Best, Paul

JoshF
              Participant

Thanks Paul…that sounds rough…painful. Great you're doing better! I'm hoping this is a response…like you said it's getting angry and my immune system will finish this off.

Josh

JoshF
                Participant

Thanks Paul…that sounds rough…painful. Great you're doing better! I'm hoping this is a response…like you said it's getting angry and my immune system will finish this off.

Josh

JoshF
                  Participant

Josh

Casitas1
                  Participant

Best, Paul

msitz
                    Participant

Hi Josh,

My dad had 2 subcutaneous tumours. One was removed for TIL but he had the other when he started on Keytruda. It was a couple of centimeters and was not at all painful prior to beginning treatment. It is hard to remember the exact timeline of events, but after he started Keytruda it swelled up and got very hard and painful. It then shrunk entirely (within several weeks?) and is now gone.

My dad has been on Keytruda since March 2015 and has had an almost complete response. His last few tumours continue to shrink. He has metastatic melanoma of unknown primary and had a very high tumour burden with lung, bowel and brain metastases at diagnosis (and tumours up to 7-8cm). Next week will be 19 months since his diagnosis when he was given a prognosis of 2 months. He is back at work full time and you would never know he has cancer. There is hope!!

– msitz

JoshF
                        Participant

Wow…that's great! Love to hear these stories…gives hope especially since I'm on the higher side of tumor burden, have had brain mets just this past August. 

JoshF
                          Participant

Wow…that's great! Love to hear these stories…gives hope especially since I'm on the higher side of tumor burden, have had brain mets just this past August. 

JoshF
                            Participant

zfishberg
                              Participant

So glad to hear about good results for your Dad.

My husband is in a similar boat. He had a skin lesion ( 2A) in 2012 that was removed and no further treatments were necessary. In October of 2016 he was diagnosed with multiple brain AMD lungs mets.

Had a surgery to remove the largest brain lesion (3.5 cm), then Gamma Knife procedure to treat remaining 10 lesions. He was taking the MEK/Taf combo for about two month, but had to stop because of bad reactions – very high fever ( 103-104) that would not go away even after stopping the drugs. WE just recently switched to Keytruda and will have a second Gamma Knife procedure in March to treat 3 new tiny lesions.

His CT scan after being 2 month on the BRAF combo showed that lungs lesions are shrinking and no new growth in other parts of body.

Question to you: Did your Dad was on Keytruda since arch 2015 without any breaks/interruptions, i.e. for more than 1 year.

zfishberg
                                Participant

So glad to hear about good results for your Dad.

My husband is in a similar boat. He had a skin lesion ( 2A) in 2012 that was removed and no further treatments were necessary. In October of 2016 he was diagnosed with multiple brain AMD lungs mets.

Had a surgery to remove the largest brain lesion (3.5 cm), then Gamma Knife procedure to treat remaining 10 lesions. He was taking the MEK/Taf combo for about two month, but had to stop because of bad reactions – very high fever ( 103-104) that would not go away even after stopping the drugs. WE just recently switched to Keytruda and will have a second Gamma Knife procedure in March to treat 3 new tiny lesions.

His CT scan after being 2 month on the BRAF combo showed that lungs lesions are shrinking and no new growth in other parts of body.

Question to you: Did your Dad was on Keytruda since arch 2015 without any breaks/interruptions, i.e. for more than 1 year.

msitz
                                Participant

Hi Josh,

My dad had 2 subcutaneous tumours. One was removed for TIL but he had the other when he started on Keytruda. It was a couple of centimeters and was not at all painful prior to beginning treatment. It is hard to remember the exact timeline of events, but after he started Keytruda it swelled up and got very hard and painful. It then shrunk entirely (within several weeks?) and is now gone.

My dad has been on Keytruda since March 2015 and has had an almost complete response. His last few tumours continue to shrink. He has metastatic melanoma of unknown primary and had a very high tumour burden with lung, bowel and brain metastases at diagnosis (and tumours up to 7-8cm). Next week will be 19 months since his diagnosis when he was given a prognosis of 2 months. He is back at work full time and you would never know he has cancer. There is hope!!

– msitz

msitz
                                  Participant

Hi Josh,

– msitz

Spl25
                                    Participant

I've had a subQ flare up, then shrink, then flare up, then shrink, severl times before finally disappearing. Out of curiosity, are you HLA-A*0201 type?

Spl25
                                      Participant

I've had a subQ flare up, then shrink, then flare up, then shrink, severl times before finally disappearing. Out of curiosity, are you HLA-A*0201 type?

Spl25
                                        Participant

JoshF
                                            Participant

Yes I am HLA-A201….

JoshF
                                              Participant

Yes I am HLA-A201….

JoshF
                                                Participant

Yes I am HLA-A201….

Spl25
                                                  Participant

Same here! Have you ever seen a good explanation of why A201 is unique re: the MART-1 ACT trials? 

Spl25
                                                    Participant

Same here! Have you ever seen a good explanation of why A201 is unique re: the MART-1 ACT trials? 

Spl25
                                                      Participant

JoshF
                                                        Participant

I did ACT about a month ago at MDA. They were specific to Mart 1 and the blood type. Antigen specific from what I understand. Though all tumors aren't the same….they can express different antigen. Ideally if you respond, they'd like to see from what I gathered a response that is over time. Increases chance of antigen spreading…where immune system recognizes any antigen a tumor expresses. I don't totally understand it all but I'm praying this works for me and they figure it out so we can save more people.

Josh

JoshF
                                                          Participant

I did ACT about a month ago at MDA. They were specific to Mart 1 and the blood type. Antigen specific from what I understand. Though all tumors aren't the same….they can express different antigen. Ideally if you respond, they'd like to see from what I gathered a response that is over time. Increases chance of antigen spreading…where immune system recognizes any antigen a tumor expresses. I don't totally understand it all but I'm praying this works for me and they figure it out so we can save more people.

Josh

Polymath
                                                            Participant

Josh,

While we all hope that participating in a trial can help the next generation of patients, right now, all we want is this to work for you.  That's where my energy is focused.  This shield, this cloaking device our tumors employ must have weaknesses.  We must exploit them.  Win this one for you and your family first, then pave the way for others to defeat this elusive enemy.

Gary

Polymath
                                                              Participant

Josh,

While we all hope that participating in a trial can help the next generation of patients, right now, all we want is this to work for you.  That's where my energy is focused.  This shield, this cloaking device our tumors employ must have weaknesses.  We must exploit them.  Win this one for you and your family first, then pave the way for others to defeat this elusive enemy.

Gary

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Amen. C

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

Amen. C

Bubbles
                                                                    Participant

Amen. C

Polymath
                                                                      Participant

Josh,

Gary

Spl25
                                                                        Participant

Well MART-1 is a great target for melanoma fighters for sure (it's expressed on most melanoma tumor cells). Good luck with your trial Josh!

Spl25
                                                                          Participant

Well MART-1 is a great target for melanoma fighters for sure (it's expressed on most melanoma tumor cells). Good luck with your trial Josh!

Spl25
                                                                            Participant

JoshF
                                                                              Participant

Josh

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics