The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

More Good News – Hopefully the New Trend

Forums General Melanoma Community More Good News – Hopefully the New Trend

Participant

A little less than a year ago I was trying to understand the meaning of being diagnosed with advanced Stage 4 melanoma. It was difficult to comprehend the possibility of time running out, of not having to plan for the future, of the world moving on without me. With meditative focus, I ultimately prepared, intellectually and emotionally, to leave – a difficult and almost surreal task. The investigational drug trial was something to do in the meantime.

But I, like others in this forum, have been given a gift of more time. Yesterday, the results of my fourth CT scan over the past six months were consistent with the rest — no evidence of recurrent disease.

The radiologists are still arguing whether or not the small sclerotic bone lesions are mets or just "bone scarring,", but they are few, small and haven't changed in 6 months, so I'm optimistic.

It's been a little rough climbing back up after being in a deep valley for a while, but I feel like I'm nearing the top. My strength is coming back, my weight is back, surgical scars have all healed, radiation burns are but a memory and there are days that I truly feel energetic. Bicycling, swimming, hiking, tennis – they're all a part of my life again. I'm taking advantage of the extra time I've been given.

Hopefully, this trend of good news from melanoma survivors will continue to grow. I'm a retired physician, and when I was in medical school, my diagnosis would have been a death warrant, but not now. The trend is a welcome change, and a very hopeful one.

DVD

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Thanks for sharing your experiences DVD!!!!  It is great to hear such great news ( good scans). I had my follow up MRI of my brain yesterday and I hope the radiologist have the same problem as yours did. Two months ago the radiologist didn't agree with the person who wrote the scan report. They had changed to a newer MRI machines on the scan in July which has a higher resolution. I find out on Tuesday if everything is still clear. One year ago I had 3 little mets in the brain which they zapped with the Cyberknife ( love that name). So anyway I am glad to hear that you are having such great success against the beast. Ed

ed williams
          Participant

Thanks for sharing your experiences DVD!!!!  It is great to hear such great news ( good scans). I had my follow up MRI of my brain yesterday and I hope the radiologist have the same problem as yours did. Two months ago the radiologist didn't agree with the person who wrote the scan report. They had changed to a newer MRI machines on the scan in July which has a higher resolution. I find out on Tuesday if everything is still clear. One year ago I had 3 little mets in the brain which they zapped with the Cyberknife ( love that name). So anyway I am glad to hear that you are having such great success against the beast. Ed

ed williams
            Participant

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Doc, they told me about the death sentence in 2007.  That was the statistics then.  We're not statistics yet, but we're sure changing the futures statiscs!  Love it.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Doc, they told me about the death sentence in 2007.  That was the statistics then.  We're not statistics yet, but we're sure changing the futures statiscs!  Love it.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Awesome news DVD.  I know how you feel about being in the valley and clawing your way back out.  My oldest had just turned 3 when my journey down this awful path began.  I couldn't help wonder how many more of her "life events" I would get to see.  Today she had her 6th birthday and I'll never take such special days forgranted for as long as I live.

ed williams
                        Participant

My daughter is turning 6 this Friday Brian and I remember last fall when my Oncologist said to me " Ed you should be around for x-mas." My out look has changed since then. I am looking forward to giving boy's a hard time when she starts to date, when she is like 16 or even better 18. Best Wishes Ed

ed williams
                          Participant

My daughter is turning 6 this Friday Brian and I remember last fall when my Oncologist said to me " Ed you should be around for x-mas." My out look has changed since then. I am looking forward to giving boy's a hard time when she starts to date, when she is like 16 or even better 18. Best Wishes Ed

ed williams
                            Participant

BrianP
                            Participant

Awesome news DVD.  I know how you feel about being in the valley and clawing your way back out.  My oldest had just turned 3 when my journey down this awful path began.  I couldn't help wonder how many more of her "life events" I would get to see.  Today she had her 6th birthday and I'll never take such special days forgranted for as long as I live.

BrianP
                              Participant

oldblue
                                Participant

So glad to hear this and other good news stories. Thank you DVD (and all) for sharing them.

Nigel.

oldblue
                                  Participant

So glad to hear this and other good news stories. Thank you DVD (and all) for sharing them.

Nigel.

oldblue
                                    Participant

Nigel.

sweetaugust
                                      Participant

With each great scan we hear about, each of us breathes a little bit easier.  So glad for you, and so glad for all of us that the map is changing for the better.

All the best, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                        Participant

With each great scan we hear about, each of us breathes a little bit easier.  So glad for you, and so glad for all of us that the map is changing for the better.

All the best, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                          Participant

All the best, Laurie

DZnDef
                                            Participant

What wonderful news!  I'm so very happy for you and for all of us to be living in an era when this disease can be beat!

DZnDef
                                              Participant

What wonderful news!  I'm so very happy for you and for all of us to be living in an era when this disease can be beat!

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics