The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

More confusion over path reports/suggested treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community More confusion over path reports/suggested treatment

Participant

OK, from the beginning.  My SIL had a shave biopsy of a lesion on her lower left leg.  Lesion had been slowly growing and developed some tiny black spots, but had not bled or seeped anything except for once when she caught it with her razor.  The pathology came back as:

"Comment:  It is not known if this is a biopsy of a larger lesion or an excisional biopsy.  Due to small size, fragmentation and orientation, the margins cannot be adequately evaluated.

OK, from the beginning.  My SIL had a shave biopsy of a lesion on her lower left leg.  Lesion had been slowly growing and developed some tiny black spots, but had not bled or seeped anything except for once when she caught it with her razor.  The pathology came back as:

"Comment:  It is not known if this is a biopsy of a larger lesion or an excisional biopsy.  Due to small size, fragmentation and orientation, the margins cannot be adequately evaluated.

Skin, Left Leg Lesion:  Received and labeled “lesion L leg,” is a .2 cm portion of dark brown-gray tissue that is submitted as received along with a smaller minute fragment.

Clinical info or preop diag:  None given

Microscopic Description:  The sections consist of levels of two tiny fragments of skin with a melanocytic lesion.  There is a lentigenous melanocytic proliferation;  focally the melanocytic cells are seen in the superficial portions of the epidermis.  Cytologic atypia is mild to moderate.  No mitoses are seen.  A few lymphocytes are seen in the underlying dermis.  Fragmentation and orientation preclude evaluation of the margins."

This report came back roughly 8 days after the biopsy.  Two days later, my SIL went to GP to get copy of the path report and ask for a referral to an oncologist with experience with melanoma.  By this time, she had developed an infection in the wound left from the shave biopsy.

Two days later, she is in the oncologist's office and he tells her that because of the path results and her age (47ish), they will plan to do a WLE and SNL biopsy.  He sends her upstairs to a surgeon who performs a complete excision of the lesion with "good" margins–that is how the doctor described it at the time of the bx.

Today, five days after the complete excision, she received this pathology report:

"Pathologic Diagnosis:

Skin lesion, left posterior cuff, excision:

1.  No diagnostic features of malignancy is identified (please see microscopic description).

2.  Ulceration, granulation tissue formation, intense chronic, acute inflammation, focal giant cell foreign body reactions, and reactive/reparative epidermal tissue changes.

3.  Surgical resection margins are evaluated, showing benign tissues.  LL/mv

Tissues:

1. LEFT LEG – MELANOMA LEFT POSTERIOR CALF

Clinical History:

Melanoma L posterior calf S/P shave bx.

Gross Description:

Received in formalin, labeled with the patient's corresponding requisition number, with accompanying requisition labeled "melanoma L posterior calf", is a pale tan, hairbearing, rubbery, wrinkled skin ellipse with overall dimensions of 2.5 x .7 x .5 cm.  On the skin's surface is a tan-brown to dark grey irregular area with overall dimensions of 7 x 7 mm.  Black ink is applied to the margin and the specimen is multiply cross-sectioned.  (1A – C – toto on edge for LX2) KLL/rkm

Microscopic Description:

Microscopic examination performed.  Sections show no diagnostic features of malignancy.  No in situ or invasive melanoma is identified.  Focal deep ulceration, granulation tissue formation, intense chronic and acute dermal inflammation are noted, at the presumptive previous biopsy site.  Giant cell foreign body reactions are present. Subjacent tissue showed reactive/reparative squamous epithelial changes.  Surgical resection margins are evaluated, showing benign tissues.  Further well-controlled immunohistochemical stain (1C) showed that the reactive epidermal tissue and skin adnexal epithelial tissues are positive for pancytokeratin, with S-100 protein and MART-1 negative for in situ or invasive melanoma.

The immunoperoxides stain was developed and its performance characteristics determined by the Pathology Department at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, Kansas.  It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

When the doc gave her these results today, he insisted that she still needs to do the WLE and SNL bx.  Am I missing something?  Do you suppose they are worried that the shave biopsy might have sent melanome cells into the lymphatic system?  It seems to me that the SNL bx is a very aggressive decision.  Any advice and help with deciphering the report are greatly appreciated!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

I doubt they are worried about that the shave biopsy caused a spread, however, the shave biopsy compromised the staging. They are being agressive because they have no idea of the true depth due to the shave biopsy. It sounds like doing a SNB might be unnessisary, and might not even be successful, since the lymph channels might have been disturbed

HOWEVER…..speaking as a patient..even with these signs that it is likely a low level melanoma, if it were me, I'd be going the most agressive way possible.

Just because.. it's melanoma, and it's already shown itself to be a bit slippery for this patient. I always let the oncological surgeon's opinion weigh the most heavily when making such a decision.

Good luck to your sister in law

dian in spokane
          Participant

I doubt they are worried about that the shave biopsy caused a spread, however, the shave biopsy compromised the staging. They are being agressive because they have no idea of the true depth due to the shave biopsy. It sounds like doing a SNB might be unnessisary, and might not even be successful, since the lymph channels might have been disturbed

HOWEVER…..speaking as a patient..even with these signs that it is likely a low level melanoma, if it were me, I'd be going the most agressive way possible.

Just because.. it's melanoma, and it's already shown itself to be a bit slippery for this patient. I always let the oncological surgeon's opinion weigh the most heavily when making such a decision.

Good luck to your sister in law

Janner
            Participant

Did your SIL have another pathologist review the first biopsy slides?  It's something I might consider given the results of the second pathology.  Certainly, the infection and healing process can obscure matters.  But given such a small original biopsy and absolutely no evidence of malignancy on the complete biopsy, I can't really see why a SNB is necessary.  To me, the first biopsy report still seems questionable.  I can definitely see doing the WLE "just in case", but the SNB seems a little overkill given the circumstances.  It is not thought that the biopsy itself is enough to spread melanoma – there are many who have partial biopsies and no recurrences.  I think in this instance, you SIL should do what makes HER comfortable, and I think she should ask more questions.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Did your SIL have another pathologist review the first biopsy slides?  It's something I might consider given the results of the second pathology.  Certainly, the infection and healing process can obscure matters.  But given such a small original biopsy and absolutely no evidence of malignancy on the complete biopsy, I can't really see why a SNB is necessary.  To me, the first biopsy report still seems questionable.  I can definitely see doing the WLE "just in case", but the SNB seems a little overkill given the circumstances.  It is not thought that the biopsy itself is enough to spread melanoma – there are many who have partial biopsies and no recurrences.  I think in this instance, you SIL should do what makes HER comfortable, and I think she should ask more questions.

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                Participant

Your SIL may wish to get another opinion with a dermatopathologist before continuing. I am not a doctor, but from what I have read thus far, this is not melanoma. The comment "giant cell foreign body" suggests there was something there that her body was reacting to. This could be any number of foreign objects that have entered her body at the site. Squamous is also mentioned, but it seems like the WLE/SNB is being mentioned to cover ones-self doctor wise.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Your SIL may wish to get another opinion with a dermatopathologist before continuing. I am not a doctor, but from what I have read thus far, this is not melanoma. The comment "giant cell foreign body" suggests there was something there that her body was reacting to. This could be any number of foreign objects that have entered her body at the site. Squamous is also mentioned, but it seems like the WLE/SNB is being mentioned to cover ones-self doctor wise.

Michael

Eugenia
                    Participant

Thank you all for your help on this!  SIL decided to go through with the WLE/SNB and is making herself absolutely sick with worry that the mel has spread to her lymph nodes.  I do not know what the doctor said to her.  I passed on the suggestion to have the original slides forwarded to new doc and helped her brainstorm a list of questions like "can mel spread to my lymphatic system if it was only on the very surface of the skin."  I don't know what all was said as I did not accompany her to her appt, but she came out convinced that she is in grave danger and must do the SNB, so here we go.  She did say that the doctor kept stressing that he just didn't know the depth of the original mel so that is why they are going this route.  I pointed out that he should know from the path report that it wasn't 5 mm or thicker because that is how thick the excision was that came out completely clear.  Oh, well.  Trying to be positive and supportive of her decisions–which I know is playing it safe at best and unnecessary at worst–so she will have it all over and done with next Friday and can put this behind her.  So thankful for all of you!   You are the island of logic and objectivity in that raging sea of a melanoma dx!

Eugenia
                      Participant

Thank you all for your help on this!  SIL decided to go through with the WLE/SNB and is making herself absolutely sick with worry that the mel has spread to her lymph nodes.  I do not know what the doctor said to her.  I passed on the suggestion to have the original slides forwarded to new doc and helped her brainstorm a list of questions like "can mel spread to my lymphatic system if it was only on the very surface of the skin."  I don't know what all was said as I did not accompany her to her appt, but she came out convinced that she is in grave danger and must do the SNB, so here we go.  She did say that the doctor kept stressing that he just didn't know the depth of the original mel so that is why they are going this route.  I pointed out that he should know from the path report that it wasn't 5 mm or thicker because that is how thick the excision was that came out completely clear.  Oh, well.  Trying to be positive and supportive of her decisions–which I know is playing it safe at best and unnecessary at worst–so she will have it all over and done with next Friday and can put this behind her.  So thankful for all of you!   You are the island of logic and objectivity in that raging sea of a melanoma dx!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics