The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Monitoring of Children

Forums General Melanoma Community Monitoring of Children

Participant

I recently had WLE for Melanoma in situ. Also had genetic testing done and no found links. My almost 13 year old blond, blue eyes has over 5 large 1 cm and more moles on his scalp. Also a nasty mole in his belly button. He is having surgery today to remove the mole in his belly button and 1 large dark mole on his scalp at Cook Children. Should we consider having all his large moles removed? If yes, would he have bold spots? He has lived in FL and CA. I am worried about him. Any advise? Both of my kids will go to annual skin check ups. My 15 old girl doesn't have any moles. Are moles genetic or my son got them because of sun exposure?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

In general, freckles are from sun, not moles.  No one can tell you what to do although removing all those lesions could be traumatic for your son and totally overkill.  Just because you had melanoma doesn't mean your son will.  His risk is higher, yes.  Higher than the general population without a relative with melanoma.  But that's hardly a certainty especially without a genetic defect.  If you were to remove them, it would be best to remove with a biopsy type that used stitches.  A shave would likely leave a bald spot but the other types would suture the skin together.  Scars usually heal well.  Personally, I would take pictures and monitor but that's me.  About 50% of melanomas grow from new lesions so removing existing moles rarely changes the risk.  It sounds like the docs have chosen the ones they thought to be the most sinister.  If those come back normal, I most likely would monitor.  If something about the removed moles caused concern to the docs, I'd re-evaluate. 

Sophietx
            Participant

Thank you. This is exactly our pediatric dermatologist opinion. He agreed to remove the one in his belly button because we can't monitor. And then choose the one on his scalp that was the darkest. He said the fact he has several similar large moles makes the moles less concerning than just having one. If – hope the pathology confirms regular moles than we will just monitor. It's good that my children now know more about sun safety and that they have to monitor their body monthly as well and to have annual skin check ups.

Both of his moles were removed by pediatric surgeon with stiches.

Sophietx
              Participant

Thank you. This is exactly our pediatric dermatologist opinion. He agreed to remove the one in his belly button because we can't monitor. And then choose the one on his scalp that was the darkest. He said the fact he has several similar large moles makes the moles less concerning than just having one. If – hope the pathology confirms regular moles than we will just monitor. It's good that my children now know more about sun safety and that they have to monitor their body monthly as well and to have annual skin check ups.

Sophietx
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

In general, freckles are from sun, not moles.  No one can tell you what to do although removing all those lesions could be traumatic for your son and totally overkill.  Just because you had melanoma doesn't mean your son will.  His risk is higher, yes.  Higher than the general population without a relative with melanoma.  But that's hardly a certainty especially without a genetic defect.  If you were to remove them, it would be best to remove with a biopsy type that used stitches.  A shave would likely leave a bald spot but the other types would suture the skin together.  Scars usually heal well.  Personally, I would take pictures and monitor but that's me.  About 50% of melanomas grow from new lesions so removing existing moles rarely changes the risk.  It sounds like the docs have chosen the ones they thought to be the most sinister.  If those come back normal, I most likely would monitor.  If something about the removed moles caused concern to the docs, I'd re-evaluate. 

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics