The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mom’s first day of trial tomorrow: epacadostat and opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Mom’s first day of trial tomorrow: epacadostat and opdivo

Participant

Tomorrow is my moms first day of trail for Epacadostat and Opdivo (nivolumab).. We are nervous.. yet can I even use the word.. excited.. It has been 5-6 months since we found out about the stage 4.. and other then Gamma Knife a few weeks ago this will be the first treatment that addresses those invisible but seen on scans mets… Going from the information and diagnosing and planning stage to actual treatment….

Any suggestions for infusions.. what helped deal with nerves or helped with the after affects.. 

Also curious if anyone else on here has experience with epacadostat?

Best to all!! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

It is a very relieving feeling to get started on a treatment. Your mom is going to UCSF, correct? The infusion clinic nurses at the Ida Friend infusion center (the infusion clinic in same building as melanoma center) are amazing. And the snack bar area is probably my favorite place. She will be in good hands during the infusion. 

I don't know anything about epacadostat so I am not sure how that will make her feel. The immunotherapy drugs usually don't make you feel like much on infusion day other than tired… but that tiredness could just be from the whole ordeal of the day anyway. 

I hope it goes smoothly for her!

jennunicorn
          Participant

It is a very relieving feeling to get started on a treatment. Your mom is going to UCSF, correct? The infusion clinic nurses at the Ida Friend infusion center (the infusion clinic in same building as melanoma center) are amazing. And the snack bar area is probably my favorite place. She will be in good hands during the infusion. 

I don't know anything about epacadostat so I am not sure how that will make her feel. The immunotherapy drugs usually don't make you feel like much on infusion day other than tired… but that tiredness could just be from the whole ordeal of the day anyway. 

jade1111
              Participant

Thanks so much Jenn! Good to know. Yes she is at UCSF. Will check out the snack bar! 

I hope your infusions are going well! 

All the best!!!!

jennunicorn
                Participant

Thank you! Things going as well as they can right now, nothing major, that's always good.

The oatmeal with honey is a pretty nice snack for the morning. The Miso soup in the afternoon is always good too…. it's the little things 🙂

(I was at Kaiser for my first infusion before switching insurance and being able to go to UCSF full time… the difference in the infusion clinics is incredible. Kaiser had no snacks, nothing but water. The nurses hardly smiled and acted as if they were very unhappy at work. Then, at UCSF, the nurses smile and I can tell they love their job. Plus, lots of yummy snacks and drinks like ginger ale, tea, and juice besides just water. Like going from Motel 6 to the Ritz, haha!)

Take care,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Thank you! Things going as well as they can right now, nothing major, that's always good.

The oatmeal with honey is a pretty nice snack for the morning. The Miso soup in the afternoon is always good too…. it's the little things 🙂

(I was at Kaiser for my first infusion before switching insurance and being able to go to UCSF full time… the difference in the infusion clinics is incredible. Kaiser had no snacks, nothing but water. The nurses hardly smiled and acted as if they were very unhappy at work. Then, at UCSF, the nurses smile and I can tell they love their job. Plus, lots of yummy snacks and drinks like ginger ale, tea, and juice besides just water. Like going from Motel 6 to the Ritz, haha!)

Take care,

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Take care,

jade1111
                      Participant

Thanks so much Jenn! Good to know. Yes she is at UCSF. Will check out the snack bar! 

All the best!!!!

jade1111
                        Participant

All the best!!!!

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Maria C
                          Participant

Hi there – I never heard of epacadostat either, but I can share that when I got my first ipi/nivo infusion my husband said he saw my cancer cells escape through the curls of my hair and out of my body, and that helped :-)!! Some positive imagery of the powerful anticipated effect of the immunotherapy can't hurt!

BTW, I also had gamma knife before I could start the immuntherapy. Made it through my first year and I do believe the immunoterapy has kept things manageable. And yes, I was kinda excited to get started with the systematic treatment as well. 

Best of luck to your mom!!!

jade1111
                              Participant

Thanks MAria!! I like that image a lot and will read to my mom tomorrow. When we talked today I was encouraging her to imagine feeling great on it. Like a healthly juice!!!

epacodostat is a new med.. pase 1 of trial had good results.. think they are hoping that it can be a combo therapy without so many side effects. its a pill taken 2 day combined with biweekly infusions of opdivo

Appreciate the input! Thanks for mentioning you did Gamma Knife as well. So glad you responded to the combo therapy!!! Wishing you all the best!

Maria C
                                Participant

Is epacodostat an immunotherapy med? I will google to learn more.

Here's another little story for you about my first day of infusions. The day before I received a "mysterious" package in the mail, an old, used copy of a book entitled "Love, Medicine & Miracles" – mysterious because I couldn't tell who sent me this battered book. I grabbed it for reading material since the infusion was going to take many hours. That day, as I was hooked up to the IV, I started reading about how "exceptional patients" don't play victim, they are the "difficult" patients who ask questions, want to be educated about their illness, and want to partner with the doctors in their own care. Well that's me! According to the author, a surgeon who noticed patterns of behavior among his patients, the exceptional patient tends to live longer and/or get healed "miraculously." So while my husband's telling me he sees the cancer escaping through my curls, I'm reading how my "difficult" self is really "exceptional" all while getting the combo infusion. I felt very empowered that day! 

Of course I hope the same for your mom today!

Here's a link to the book; I highly recommend it for infusion-day readings:

http://berniesiegelmd.com/products-page/holistic-healing/love-medicine-miracles-lessons-learned-about-self-healing-from-a-surgeons-experience-with-exceptional-patients/

Maria C
                                  Participant

Here's another little story for you about my first day of infusions. The day before I received a "mysterious" package in the mail, an old, used copy of a book entitled "Love, Medicine & Miracles" – mysterious because I couldn't tell who sent me this battered book. I grabbed it for reading material since the infusion was going to take many hours. That day, as I was hooked up to the IV, I started reading about how "exceptional patients" don't play victim, they are the "difficult" patients who ask questions, want to be educated about their illness, and want to partner with the doctors in their own care. Well that's me! According to the author, a surgeon who noticed patterns of behavior among his patients, the exceptional patient tends to live longer and/or get healed "miraculously." So while my husband's telling me he sees the cancer escaping through my curls, I'm reading how my "difficult" self is really "exceptional" all while getting the combo infusion. I felt very empowered that day! 

http://berniesiegelmd.com/products-page/holistic-healing/love-medicine-miracles-lessons-learned-about-self-healing-from-a-surgeons-experience-with-exceptional-patients/

ed williams
                                    Participant

Maria, Epacadostat is an IDO inhibitor, my understanding is it has an effect in the tumor micro environment. It is very early days on data with the combination of IDO and Immunotherapy drugs. Best wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                                      Participant

Maria, Epacadostat is an IDO inhibitor, my understanding is it has an effect in the tumor micro environment. It is very early days on data with the combination of IDO and Immunotherapy drugs. Best wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                                        Participant

jade1111
                                          Participant

Thanks for the reminder on Love, Medicine and Miracales Maria. I read it years ago and was fascinated by it. I will look for a copy for my mom. 

Thanks again!!

jade1111
                                            Participant

Thanks for the reminder on Love, Medicine and Miracales Maria. I read it years ago and was fascinated by it. I will look for a copy for my mom. 

Thanks again!!

jade1111
                                              Participant

Thanks again!!

Maria C
                                                Participant

jade1111
                                                  Participant

Thanks MAria!! I like that image a lot and will read to my mom tomorrow. When we talked today I was encouraging her to imagine feeling great on it. Like a healthly juice!!!

epacodostat is a new med.. pase 1 of trial had good results.. think they are hoping that it can be a combo therapy without so many side effects. its a pill taken 2 day combined with biweekly infusions of opdivo

Appreciate the input! Thanks for mentioning you did Gamma Knife as well. So glad you responded to the combo therapy!!! Wishing you all the best!

jade1111
                                                    Participant

Maria C
                                                    Participant

Hi there – I never heard of epacadostat either, but I can share that when I got my first ipi/nivo infusion my husband said he saw my cancer cells escape through the curls of my hair and out of my body, and that helped :-)!! Some positive imagery of the powerful anticipated effect of the immunotherapy can't hurt!

BTW, I also had gamma knife before I could start the immuntherapy. Made it through my first year and I do believe the immunoterapy has kept things manageable. And yes, I was kinda excited to get started with the systematic treatment as well. 

Maria C
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics