The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mole on sole of foot

Forums General Melanoma Community Mole on sole of foot

Participant

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I recently discovered a new mole on the bottom of my foot. Naturally this has me concerned since I know that is a place where melanoma likes to show up. I've had it for a couple of months now. It's very dark but doesn't seem to have irregular edges. I also have one between my toes on the same foot but I have had it for years with no change.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I recently discovered a new mole on the bottom of my foot. Naturally this has me concerned since I know that is a place where melanoma likes to show up. I've had it for a couple of months now. It's very dark but doesn't seem to have irregular edges. I also have one between my toes on the same foot but I have had it for years with no change.

I am a high risk candidate so I'm pretty worried. My mother has melanoma and I have blond hair, blue eyes, way too many sunburns in my teens and twenties, including a second degree blistering burn…and I have an Irish heritage.

What I would like to know…..is a mole on the bottom of your foot ALWAYS melanoma? I've never heard or seen of one without it being melanoma. I have an appointment to get it checked on the 20th of this month but that is a very long 10 days from now.

All the best to everyone. I am humbled by the strength of all the warriors and their friends and famlies.

Carolyn

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Acral melanoma is the type of melanoma typically found on the soles of the feet, palms of hand and under the nail beds.  Acral melanoma is most typically found in darker skinned individuals – not Irish – and is the only type not thought to be linked to sun exposure.  You're not the prime candidate.  However, it is remotely possible that melanoma could be found on the sole of your foot.  I have two moles on my feet – one between my toes and one on my instep.  I watch them just like I watch my other moles.  But as long as they don't stand out as changing or "different from all my other moles", I'm content to monitor them.  It's good that you have an appointment to get it checked.  But don't assume your mole is melanoma just because of location.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Acral melanoma is the type of melanoma typically found on the soles of the feet, palms of hand and under the nail beds.  Acral melanoma is most typically found in darker skinned individuals – not Irish – and is the only type not thought to be linked to sun exposure.  You're not the prime candidate.  However, it is remotely possible that melanoma could be found on the sole of your foot.  I have two moles on my feet – one between my toes and one on my instep.  I watch them just like I watch my other moles.  But as long as they don't stand out as changing or "different from all my other moles", I'm content to monitor them.  It's good that you have an appointment to get it checked.  But don't assume your mole is melanoma just because of location.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Valentine
              Participant

The melanoma that I had on the bottom of my foot was the same color as my skin. It is best to just get it looked at and to not worry about it in the meantime. I know that is easier said than done. I do hope that it turns out well  for you.

Valentine
                Participant

The melanoma that I had on the bottom of my foot was the same color as my skin. It is best to just get it looked at and to not worry about it in the meantime. I know that is easier said than done. I do hope that it turns out well  for you.

Valentine
                  Participant

Linny
                    Participant

A mole on the bottom of your foot is not always melanoma. My primary discovered one on the sole of my foot just this past June. It was brown and oval in shape with symmetrical borders and measures 1x4mm. She wanted to remove it right then and there but I also wanted to have the doctors at Johns Hopkins take a look at it too.

Fast forward to September: Dr. Scharfmann didn't seem too concerned but thought it was good to have one of their dermatologists look at it. The dermatologist thought it may be benign and told me to come back in 3 months. At that point they just went ahead and removed it even though it had not changed in that 6 month period since it was discovered. I'm glad I got it taken out. The procedure took a half hour. There are a lot of nerve endings on the bottoms of your feet so when the anesthetic wore off my foot hurt like the dickens!

The mole was benign!!!!!

You're doing the right thing by having that mole examined.

Linda

Linny
                      Participant

A mole on the bottom of your foot is not always melanoma. My primary discovered one on the sole of my foot just this past June. It was brown and oval in shape with symmetrical borders and measures 1x4mm. She wanted to remove it right then and there but I also wanted to have the doctors at Johns Hopkins take a look at it too.

Fast forward to September: Dr. Scharfmann didn't seem too concerned but thought it was good to have one of their dermatologists look at it. The dermatologist thought it may be benign and told me to come back in 3 months. At that point they just went ahead and removed it even though it had not changed in that 6 month period since it was discovered. I'm glad I got it taken out. The procedure took a half hour. There are a lot of nerve endings on the bottoms of your feet so when the anesthetic wore off my foot hurt like the dickens!

The mole was benign!!!!!

Linda

Linny
                        Participant

The mole was benign!!!!!

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics