The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mole Excision and Antibotic ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Mole Excision and Antibotic ?

Participant

Just had an excision with stitches for a atypical mole on my stomach.  Plastic surgeon showed me a pretty large piece of skin was taken out.  She used steri-strips and perscribed a strong antibotic 3x day for five days.  It's been 24 hours and I have a lot of bruising at the excision site.  She also said no antibotic ointment on the steri-stripes basically no additional care just watch for infection and to come back, 14 days to remove a couple outside stitches as the majority of stitches were dissolvable.  This is very different from prior care instructions for my last mole excision on my back a couple years ago.  Does this all sound normal?  Thx 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Dear Anon,

Yes, this sounds fairly normal to me.  I've had a few WLEs with steri-strips and internal stitches.  The steri-stirips are holding the edges of the WLE together in lieu of stitches, so you don't want to put any creams or ointments on it (as it will cause it to come off prematurely)  They'll fall off in a week to 10 days. No worries. Sometimes I've been given a script for antibiotics, sometimes not.

Something to watch for in addition ot infection is spitting stiches.  I've had internal stitches "spit" and come out rather than disolving by themselves   When they come out they look a bit like blackheads.  No worries, when they're ready to come out, they will come easily.  This is normal and not something to freak out over.

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Dear Anon,

Yes, this sounds fairly normal to me.  I've had a few WLEs with steri-strips and internal stitches.  The steri-stirips are holding the edges of the WLE together in lieu of stitches, so you don't want to put any creams or ointments on it (as it will cause it to come off prematurely)  They'll fall off in a week to 10 days. No worries. Sometimes I've been given a script for antibiotics, sometimes not.

Something to watch for in addition ot infection is spitting stiches.  I've had internal stitches "spit" and come out rather than disolving by themselves   When they come out they look a bit like blackheads.  No worries, when they're ready to come out, they will come easily.  This is normal and not something to freak out over.

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Dear Anon,

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics