The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MM Tonsil!

Forums General Melanoma Community MM Tonsil!

Participant

I was on this bb in the spring when my husband, Steve's scan showed a lit up right tonsil. Even though there are only about 30 cases of MM going to the tonsil, his was indeed metastatic. Just so everyone knows, it can happen so don't assume it's an infection (as we first did) just because it is so rare. And a tonsillectomy after 50 is NOT FUN. Good luck to all!

I was on this bb in the spring when my husband, Steve's scan showed a lit up right tonsil. Even though there are only about 30 cases of MM going to the tonsil, his was indeed metastatic. Just so everyone knows, it can happen so don't assume it's an infection (as we first did) just because it is so rare. And a tonsillectomy after 50 is NOT FUN. Good luck to all!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

You know it really itsn't surprising that it was found in the tonsil given that it is a lymph node.

Hope all isgoing well!! Had a tonsillectomy when I was in my mid 20's and it wasn't easy then either!!

LynnLuc
            Participant

PS here is an interesting article on tonsils and malignant Tumors   http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/848034-overview

cheryl brodersen
              Participant

Thank you both for your reply. Both of Steve's doctor's went batty when it was found to be metastatic–and these guys are heavy hitters. Dr. Hersh of the AZCC said in his 40 years as a melanoma doc, he has seen fewer than five cases of tonsilar MM. But, you're right, it is a lymph node!

Thanks again. Best of luck to you both.

Cheryl

Becky
                Participant

I have learned that there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to melanoma. My 21 yr old sons primary was on the tip of his tongue…none of the doctors expected it to come back as anything, much less melanoma!  Oh and tongue surgery no piece of cake either, although the surgeon did a great job and besides some speech problems (subtle but I'm a speech therapist so I hear it) you would never know.

Cheryl I was reading a bit of your blog…raising 5 kids, Phd classes and being there for your hubby…wow!

keep fighting

Becky

cheryl brodersen
                  Participant

Becky,

Wow, tip of the tongue? That takes the cake, I'm afraid. How is he doing now? I cannot even imagine one of my children being sick. Honestly.

And you are an SLP? I now have a minor in speech and hearing and almost went that route; it's fascinating work and study.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I started it as a way to record my life through all of this–and not just the cancer, because life has a way of going on despite cancer, but as a permanent record that someday maybe his kids would want to read parts of. It's so huge now, probably close to 200K words. Crazy, but it keeps me sane!

Thanks for the reply. Stay in touch!

Cheryl

Becky
                    Participant

Cheryl

Yes I'm an SLP, working in an elementary school.

Ben is doing well for now. He finished a year of interferon in August, graduated from college in December…I of course am in a constant state of worry about him.

I bookmarked your blog so I can read more!

Becky

Becky
                      Participant

Cheryl

Yes I'm an SLP, working in an elementary school.

Ben is doing well for now. He finished a year of interferon in August, graduated from college in December…I of course am in a constant state of worry about him.

I bookmarked your blog so I can read more!

Becky

cheryl brodersen
                        Participant

Becky,

Wow, tip of the tongue? That takes the cake, I'm afraid. How is he doing now? I cannot even imagine one of my children being sick. Honestly.

And you are an SLP? I now have a minor in speech and hearing and almost went that route; it's fascinating work and study.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I started it as a way to record my life through all of this–and not just the cancer, because life has a way of going on despite cancer, but as a permanent record that someday maybe his kids would want to read parts of. It's so huge now, probably close to 200K words. Crazy, but it keeps me sane!

Thanks for the reply. Stay in touch!

Cheryl

Becky
                          Participant

I have learned that there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to melanoma. My 21 yr old sons primary was on the tip of his tongue…none of the doctors expected it to come back as anything, much less melanoma!  Oh and tongue surgery no piece of cake either, although the surgeon did a great job and besides some speech problems (subtle but I'm a speech therapist so I hear it) you would never know.

Cheryl I was reading a bit of your blog…raising 5 kids, Phd classes and being there for your hubby…wow!

keep fighting

Becky

cheryl brodersen
                            Participant

Thank you both for your reply. Both of Steve's doctor's went batty when it was found to be metastatic–and these guys are heavy hitters. Dr. Hersh of the AZCC said in his 40 years as a melanoma doc, he has seen fewer than five cases of tonsilar MM. But, you're right, it is a lymph node!

Thanks again. Best of luck to you both.

Cheryl

LynnLuc
                              Participant

PS here is an interesting article on tonsils and malignant Tumors   http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/848034-overview

LynnLuc
                              Participant

You know it really itsn't surprising that it was found in the tonsil given that it is a lymph node.

Hope all isgoing well!! Had a tonsillectomy when I was in my mid 20's and it wasn't easy then either!!

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Get tumor tissue tested for c-kit.  Any local lab can run the initial c-kit oncoprotein stain test.  If it is positive for the overexpression of this protein then tumor tissue will need to be provided a specialized lab to determine which c-kit DNA mutation may be in the tumor.  There are several targeted drugs that may be successful if ones tumors fall into this catagory.  Univeersity in Oregon developed the procedure for this test.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Get tumor tissue tested for c-kit.  Any local lab can run the initial c-kit oncoprotein stain test.  If it is positive for the overexpression of this protein then tumor tissue will need to be provided a specialized lab to determine which c-kit DNA mutation may be in the tumor.  There are several targeted drugs that may be successful if ones tumors fall into this catagory.  Univeersity in Oregon developed the procedure for this test.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics