The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MM Dr.s in Oregon?

Forums General Melanoma Community MM Dr.s in Oregon?

Participant

We are planning to move soon and are considering Oregon.  Anyone from there that has a Melonoma oncologist?  Where do you get treatment if you live in Oregon? Husband (Dirk) is currently Stage IV in BRAF clinical trial at UCLA.

We are planning to move soon and are considering Oregon.  Anyone from there that has a Melonoma oncologist?  Where do you get treatment if you live in Oregon? Husband (Dirk) is currently Stage IV in BRAF clinical trial at UCLA.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JenC
        Participant

We are on the Oregon coast and have been to the Providence Portland melanoma clinic.   Our local doctor consulted with with Dr. Curti while my husband was stage IIIc and now that he’s stage IV we’re seeing if he can get on the BRAF trial (Roche trial).  Other than that I can’t give you a stronger opinion on the place and/ or treatments offered.  My husband just moved to stage IV in early July and we’ve been wating this long for processing of the tissues/ paperwork for genetic testing (feeling very frustrated and impatient).  If he is not eligible for the BRAF here, they suggested IL2 or the Ippi trial. Dr. Walter Urba is the cancer center’s director and they do a lot of work in immunotherapy. Another cancer center here is OHSU.  If my husband were willing to travel a bit, I’d take him to Seattle Cancer Care – another excellent center 6 hours north and I’ve heard a lot of great things about (also known as fred hutchenson).  They have BRAF there and Ippi and are doing work on adotive T cell therapy.

How is the BRAF working for your husband?

Hope all is well, JenC

Jan in OC
            Participant

Thanks for the info.  Dirk has been on the LaRoche trial since mid Feb.  He has a CT every other month to watch progress.  The doctor is happy because we see no new tumors…but I am a little frustrated, because the ones he has are not reducing in size.  No change in either direction!!  I hold my breath after every scan, worried he will get worse (silly me!).  Wish you luck, we had two months of waiting before he got in.

Frillie
              Participant
                I go to OHSU. Highly recommend Dr. John Vetto, Surgical Oncologist and Dr. Daniel Herzig, Colorectal Surgeon.
              lilred75
              Participant

I will second the other post regarding Portland Providence and OHSU. I was initially diagnosed stage III in 2004, progressed to stage IV in 2006, and had various surgeries at OHSU with J. Vetto. LOVE him! I was initially under the oncology care of J. Smith at Portland Providence for all other treatments, but switched over to B. Curdi about 3 years ago. Smith was fine, but we had a difference of opinion in treatment at one point, so I looked at other options and ended up with Curdi. Also LOVE him! I have been NED for over 2.5 years, and believe it was his willingness to listen to my opinion that has kept me cancer free. I have gone through various treatments at Portland Providence including, Interferon, radiation, and IL-2. I have been impressed with the facilities, staff, and level of information on current treatments and research. I have also been to Fred Hutchinson for a consult and second opinion. I didn't feel they could offer much more than my Portland facilities, unless there was a specific trial that was being conducted up there, that was not available down in Portland. FYI, it can be frustrating to get appts. with Curdi. He does tend to book a few months out, but does try to fit people in when it is urgent (this may include new patients, I am not sure). Vetto can also be the same way (notorious for running VERY late for clinic appts., but that is usually because he gets caught in surgery, or is squeezing someone else in for an urgent issue). While scheduling can be challenging, I look at it as they must be good if they are always booked! Best of luck with wherever you decide to move, and best of luck to your husband.

Andyb
                Participant

I would also recommend Providence in Portland.  Dr. John Smith has treated me for the past 5 1/2 years.  A friend of mine who live in my home city of Salem, OR was also referred to Providence for specialized treatment.  He had IL2 treatments under supervision of Dr. Curti.  He is currently in a trial with the new "ipi" treatment.

Seattle and San Francisco also have treatment centers, but they require more travel time for treatments.

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics