The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MK-1454 Clinical Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community MK-1454 Clinical Trial

Participant
      Mom has been presented with another clinical trial option for her 7cm liver tumor. Its a phase 1 trial with a combination of drug MK-1454 with Keytruda. MK-1454 is injected directly into the liver tumor for 6 weeks once a week , Keytruda once every 3 weeks.

I am concerned as this a phase 1 trial and its basically her getting a liver biopsy every week. Any thoughts Bubbles and Ed ?

https://clinicaltrials.ucsf.edu/trial/NCT03010176

Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Here are a couple of articles about Mk-1454, which is another injectable and in this case it is trying to target the ‘Sting” pathway. At the 12:33 min mark of the following video that features Dr. Omid Hamid he gets into injectables and he talks a little about the sting pathway. T-vec + ipi has been studied over the last few years as well as t-vec plus pembro and I thing nivo, TLR-9 agoinst are being investigated and there are a few more trials of different agent mainly for melanoma resistant patients to immunotherapy. To the best of my knowledge other than T-vec none have been approved yet but many of them show promise!!! I will give you a couple of article on MK-1454 that I came across and from what I have found it seems only a small # of patients have tried this drug and I am not sure if any melanoma patients have tried. T-vec on the other hand is a little future down the road when it comes to actual melanoma patients and actual results in melanoma patients. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://investors.merck.com/news/press-release-details/2018/First-Presentation-of-Early-Data-for-Mercks-Investigational-STING-Agonist-MK-1454-in-Patients-with-Advanced-Solid-Tumors-or-Lymphomas-at-ESMO-2018-Congress/default.aspx https://dailynews.ascopubs.org/do/10.1200/ADN.19.190427/full/
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Ed has given you good information – as ever. Here are some additional articles on intralesional therapy: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=intralesional&max-results=20&by-date=true

As far as picking the trial I would participate in if I were in your mom’s shoes????

I would have the doc give me a specific list of the trials for which she is considered eligible and have him give me a play by play of the pros and cons of each. Additional important information to my mind is speed of entry. Melanoma makes the most of time it has untreated and some trials required certain lengths of “wash out” periods or just ‘x’ amount of time to get enrolled.

Yours, celeste

MelMel
            Participant
              I agree with Celeste about requesting specific pros and cons from your oncologist regarding each trial your mom is eligible for, as well as how quickly she can start. I would not be concerned about having weekly liver biopsies since it is not a very invasive procedure. I had 4 liver tumors, the largest also being 7 cm and my melanoma was diagnosed following a liver biopsy. I had minimal pain afterward and was home the same day after 4-5 hrs in the hospital only as an inpatient. Compared to the immunotherapy and targeted treatment side-effects, the actual liver biopsy is absolutely nothing to be worried about. Hopefully, the liver tumor shrinks enough so that it becomes surgically resectable. Also, once the tumor burden is reduced, maybe another type of therapy is more effective.
              Best of luck,
              sks2019
              Participant
                Thanks ED, Bubbles and MelMel. Cant thank enough for the help you provide.
                Ed, I am not that good at reading medical articles but get the idea of what you were mentioning.
                I discussed the option of TVec + ipi with the doc and he said thats only for cutaneous lesions and not liver. I today researched on the fb group for mucosal melanoma and see there are folks who recieved tvec into liver lesions and have benefitted. Not sure why Dr.Daud was not in favor of that.

for MK-1454 the last published results shows 0% CR ( complete response ) and 25% partial response. SO i am really confused.
                Being at UC i feel i am always steered towards phase 1 trials instead of treatments that are FDA approved.
                Also based on my research TIL is also close to being FDA approved ( I know its never 100% unless its approved ) , would be my last approach considering the side effects.
                Until we hear back from the drug company , Mom will be going for radiation mapping to see if she can get the targeted liver radioEmbolization which I feel is an easier process

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics