The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Miotic Rate – Pathology report ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Miotic Rate – Pathology report ?

Participant

Is a miotic rate of 2/10hpf considered high or low?  Just curious because I don't understand this part of pathology report.

Is a miotic rate of 2/10hpf considered high or low?  Just curious because I don't understand this part of pathology report.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

The mitotic rate is a measurement of how fast tumor cells are dividing.

Concerning your Mitotic rate or MR, 2/10 HPF is considered to be towards the low end of the spectrum. This means the rate at which the malignant cells are dividing below the epidermis. This is sometimes expressed as a number and the lower the number the better, as that means it is less likely the tumor has spread. Since there are currently no set guidelines in the U.S. and world as to how this should be reported, it also may not be a number as I have seen reports that may say absent, low, intermediate, medium, or high, and I have even seen "non conspicuous", and  the word "rare" also being used. The MR is measured by simply examining the excised tumor with a microscope and manually counting the number of cells exhibiting mitosis, an easily identifiable characteristic of dividing cells

This can also be expressed in what is called mitosis per mm2.

To convert:

1 HPF = .785 mm2

and 2 mitosis per/10 HPF= .2 per 1 HPF

and 10 HPF= 7.85 mm2

so .2 (20% of HPF) X 7.85 mm2 = 1.57 mitosis /mm2

Or as an equation the best I can type here:

2 mitosis/10hpf=x/7.85mm2 which equals =15.7/10x or 1.57 mitosis per mm2.

Michael

MichaelFL
          Participant

The mitotic rate is a measurement of how fast tumor cells are dividing.

Concerning your Mitotic rate or MR, 2/10 HPF is considered to be towards the low end of the spectrum. This means the rate at which the malignant cells are dividing below the epidermis. This is sometimes expressed as a number and the lower the number the better, as that means it is less likely the tumor has spread. Since there are currently no set guidelines in the U.S. and world as to how this should be reported, it also may not be a number as I have seen reports that may say absent, low, intermediate, medium, or high, and I have even seen "non conspicuous", and  the word "rare" also being used. The MR is measured by simply examining the excised tumor with a microscope and manually counting the number of cells exhibiting mitosis, an easily identifiable characteristic of dividing cells

This can also be expressed in what is called mitosis per mm2.

To convert:

1 HPF = .785 mm2

and 2 mitosis per/10 HPF= .2 per 1 HPF

and 10 HPF= 7.85 mm2

so .2 (20% of HPF) X 7.85 mm2 = 1.57 mitosis /mm2

Or as an equation the best I can type here:

2 mitosis/10hpf=x/7.85mm2 which equals =15.7/10x or 1.57 mitosis per mm2.

Michael

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics