The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

mets vs mass

Forums General Melanoma Community mets vs mass

Participant

I was wondering if you could help me. I have been reading number of "mets" and wonderful news about the immonotherapy.   My mother is a patient at Sloan.  She had a new cat scan and MRI done at Sloan prior to starting her opdivo/yervoy treatment.  

The scan came back with good news in the brain- nothing

but the liver had two large masses.

Numerous bilobar hepatic metastases are

identified. Although differences in technique likely account in part for

the apparent change many more lesions are seen on the present scan than on
      the previous. A 4.0 x 4.3 cm mass in the posterior right hepatic lobe
      previously measured 3.5 x 2.8 cm. A 5.4 x 4.1 cm mass previously measured
      5.4 x 3.5 cm. Tumor likely invades through the hepatic capsule. Additional
      numerous lesions are now evident that were barely if at all perceptible on
      the previous examination. No intrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation.

My question is this-  it seems as if this is all over her liver.  Providing this combo works, can it truly shrink these masses after only 4 treaments?

She is doing very well with very little side effects. just fatigue so far.  

I am just confused because I read all these promising stories but they all seem to refer to "mets" and have heard very little about "masses"

is it the same thing?  how do you all know the number of mets?  

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant

Some people have only been able to receive 1 combo treatment and still had good results. It is not unusual for mets to increase in size after starting the combo due to immune cells collecting in the cancer. If she is reacting to the treatment surely after 4 doeses you should see results. I had significant results at 8 weeks on 7 mets in my lungs and at 6 months my scan was "near complete resolution". My next scan is on the 16th and I hope the word near is removed.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics