The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mets from one side to the other?

Forums General Melanoma Community Mets from one side to the other?

Participant

Hey all,

Hey all,

Hoping someone is home on a Friday night…last night as I was falling asleep I noticed what feels like a small but swollen, sore lymph node in the left groin.  I fell asleep and forgot about it until just now when I felt it again.  Could mel have jumped from the right side to the left and so quickly?  I just had scans on 9/6 which only showed the mel in the right groin and the LND was done just a few days later on 9/9.  I know there are multiple reasons for lymph nodes to get irritated, but I have rarely ever had groin ones swell throughout my life.

I see an oncologist for consult on Monday and my surgeon on Tuesday, but I think I am going to need some reassurance to get through the weekend.

Many thanks,

Jacki

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Jacki, I have checked your profile and feel that it is wise to be suspicious of anything unusual in your lymph nodes. This is because melanoma cells will tend to form tumours in the lymph system, as you have experienced in the past.

Unfortunately, melanoma cells can form tumours in areas that are some distance away from the primary lesion. They may be kept from doing this by the immune system.

As you know there reasons other than melanoma to explain why a node could be inflamed. However, as you where diagnosed in May 2010 I feel that you should consult your oncologist about this soon.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

jax2007gxp
            Participant

Thanks, Frank.  I will talk to both doctors in a few days.  Just worried like crazy now.  I just had the impression that the mel cells tend to follow the path of the lymph system and that jumping from one side of the body to the other so quickly, and with no other mets, would be unlikely.  I thought I read that somewhere, but can't find it now.

I'll keep saying my prayers!

Jacki

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Jacki, please try not to be too concerned about this. There is nothing to indicate the possibility of any further spread, so that is a good sign.

The problem is that we just don't know if it is really a new met, or if it is something benign. Yes, the cells do follow the lymph channels but we don't know how far they might have traveled nor do we know if they have decided to form a tumour at the spot that you have found.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Jacki, please try not to be too concerned about this. There is nothing to indicate the possibility of any further spread, so that is a good sign.

The problem is that we just don't know if it is really a new met, or if it is something benign. Yes, the cells do follow the lymph channels but we don't know how far they might have traveled nor do we know if they have decided to form a tumour at the spot that you have found.

Frank from Australia

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Jacki,

Here's how I handle stuff like this….(and I do check my skin and lymph nodes daily, like in the shower and dressing, etc). IF I find something that looks or feels like a change I take a deep breath and then say to myself: " Ok I dont know if this is melanoma or not, but if it is, I am glad I have found it EARLY". Then I make a plan to call my oncologist or dermatologist when their office is next open and have it checked. This has really helped my anxiety. I turn it around from "OH NO more melanoma maybe to I am finding concerns EARLY." Congratulate yourself for being vigilant and then taking action. All the worry in the world wont make melanoma disappear, but realizing whats positive can help with your anxiety. Try it, it works!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED now due to yervoy

jax2007gxp
                    Participant

Thanks, Donna.  I'm trying hard to stay positive.  It seems so illogical to me that it can be mel, but mel is a bastard so I am worried.  I do alright as long as I stay busy, but because it is sore I am noticing it from time to time throughout the day which sucks me right back into thinking/worrying about it.  I'll try the mantra tho…."caught it early…caught it early". Thanks!!!

Jacki

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Jacki,

How did your meetings go with the surgeon & Onc?

Stay strong

Mary

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Jacki,

Stay strong

Mary

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Jacki,

Stay strong

Mary

jax2007gxp
                            Participant

Thanks, Donna.  I'm trying hard to stay positive.  It seems so illogical to me that it can be mel, but mel is a bastard so I am worried.  I do alright as long as I stay busy, but because it is sore I am noticing it from time to time throughout the day which sucks me right back into thinking/worrying about it.  I'll try the mantra tho…."caught it early…caught it early". Thanks!!!

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                              Participant

Jacki

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Jacki,

Here's how I handle stuff like this….(and I do check my skin and lymph nodes daily, like in the shower and dressing, etc). IF I find something that looks or feels like a change I take a deep breath and then say to myself: " Ok I dont know if this is melanoma or not, but if it is, I am glad I have found it EARLY". Then I make a plan to call my oncologist or dermatologist when their office is next open and have it checked. This has really helped my anxiety. I turn it around from "OH NO more melanoma maybe to I am finding concerns EARLY." Congratulate yourself for being vigilant and then taking action. All the worry in the world wont make melanoma disappear, but realizing whats positive can help with your anxiety. Try it, it works!

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Jacki,

FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

Frank from Australia

jax2007gxp
                                      Participant

Thanks, Frank.  I will talk to both doctors in a few days.  Just worried like crazy now.  I just had the impression that the mel cells tend to follow the path of the lymph system and that jumping from one side of the body to the other so quickly, and with no other mets, would be unlikely.  I thought I read that somewhere, but can't find it now.

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                                        Participant

Jacki

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Jacki, I have checked your profile and feel that it is wise to be suspicious of anything unusual in your lymph nodes. This is because melanoma cells will tend to form tumours in the lymph system, as you have experienced in the past.

Unfortunately, melanoma cells can form tumours in areas that are some distance away from the primary lesion. They may be kept from doing this by the immune system.

As you know there reasons other than melanoma to explain why a node could be inflamed. However, as you where diagnosed in May 2010 I feel that you should consult your oncologist about this soon.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics