The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

metastatic melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community metastatic melanoma

Participant

I have recently been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma,  May of 2010, and was wondering if anybody has any information on the use of LDN ( low dose naltrexone)? I've been doing some research on this interesting drug, which was FDA approved in the 80's for use in treating drug and alcohol addiction, at the 50mg dosage. There are a few dr's that are working with the dosage of 1mg-4.5mg, and are having pretty good results. I went to my oncologist with some info on LDN, but he acted like I never even brought the subject up.

I have recently been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma,  May of 2010, and was wondering if anybody has any information on the use of LDN ( low dose naltrexone)? I've been doing some research on this interesting drug, which was FDA approved in the 80's for use in treating drug and alcohol addiction, at the 50mg dosage. There are a few dr's that are working with the dosage of 1mg-4.5mg, and are having pretty good results. I went to my oncologist with some info on LDN, but he acted like I never even brought the subject up. I can understand his reluctance as LDN is considered to be an off brand treatment.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I know nothing about LDN, but do a search in the archives.  (Spell out the words for the search).  I have seen posts about this before over the years.  Not a lot, but it has been discussed before.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I know nothing about LDN, but do a search in the archives.  (Spell out the words for the search).  I have seen posts about this before over the years.  Not a lot, but it has been discussed before.

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
            Participant

Myself as well as others have commented on this in the recent past. If you wist to read some of the posts go to:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/archived-mrf-bulletin-board

and type in Naltrexone.

I would also like to make you aware that there are currently no clinical trials (at clinicatrials.gov) involving this drug in relation to melanoma.

I also mentioned Naltrexone in a post on the 26th of Jan 2010.

Per the post: (and as you stated) It was approved by the FDA in 1984 for the purpose of helping heroin or opium addicts by blocking the effect of such drugs through the receptors of the brain.

There are also many trials currently for the Naltrexone drug, mostly for alcohol and drug dependency, and a few others such as smoking, bipolar disorder, and even breast cancer, but none for melanoma. (the drug itself is cheap and generic so there is no industry interest in funding formal trials for melanoma)

For what it's worth, be aware that Quackwatch currently lists it as a dubious treatment for cancer, and it sounds like this is merely a (educated?) guess for melanoma, but it is supposed to boost the immune system, the side-effects are minimal, and it is readily available and at such a reasonably low cost, so I guess the choice is up to you to give it a try? Just make sure it does not disqualify you from the trial you are talking about.

Michael

dian in spokane
                Participant

Michael, bless you! I want to thank you for continuing to be such a valuable resource here.

I have been completely unable to master the skills necessary for searching the archives since the board changed over. Every time I try to look for something I KNOW is there, I get frustrated.

Thanks for all you contribute around here.

Dian

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Michael, bless you! I want to thank you for continuing to be such a valuable resource here.

I have been completely unable to master the skills necessary for searching the archives since the board changed over. Every time I try to look for something I KNOW is there, I get frustrated.

Thanks for all you contribute around here.

Dian

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Myself as well as others have commented on this in the recent past. If you wist to read some of the posts go to:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/archived-mrf-bulletin-board

and type in Naltrexone.

I would also like to make you aware that there are currently no clinical trials (at clinicatrials.gov) involving this drug in relation to melanoma.

I also mentioned Naltrexone in a post on the 26th of Jan 2010.

Per the post: (and as you stated) It was approved by the FDA in 1984 for the purpose of helping heroin or opium addicts by blocking the effect of such drugs through the receptors of the brain.

There are also many trials currently for the Naltrexone drug, mostly for alcohol and drug dependency, and a few others such as smoking, bipolar disorder, and even breast cancer, but none for melanoma. (the drug itself is cheap and generic so there is no industry interest in funding formal trials for melanoma)

For what it's worth, be aware that Quackwatch currently lists it as a dubious treatment for cancer, and it sounds like this is merely a (educated?) guess for melanoma, but it is supposed to boost the immune system, the side-effects are minimal, and it is readily available and at such a reasonably low cost, so I guess the choice is up to you to give it a try? Just make sure it does not disqualify you from the trial you are talking about.

Michael

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics