The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Met to gallbladder – any experiences?

Forums General Melanoma Community Met to gallbladder – any experiences?

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I've been going pretty well on the GSK BRAF inhibitor since I started on it 1 May 2012, all existing enlarged lymph nodes shrunk dramatically and stayed that way, lungs cleared up, no new things cropping up until now. My CT in Nov 12 showed a 7mm focal lesion in the fundus of the gallbladder. By my next CT on 9 Jan 13, it had increased to 15mm. I had an ultrasound today, and while I don't have the report, it is quite obvious to me from looking at the film that the lesion is now quite large, and looks a bit like a tree with several branches coming off it.

I have no symptoms at all, feel otherwise very well, and my melanoma oncologist has remained happy with my response to the BRAF inhibitor.

I have an appointment to see my local oncologist in the morning, but I am expecting bad news. I have read some articles that indicate metastisis to the gallbladder is fairly common, and if contained there, can respond reasonably well to surgical resection. I am happy to get rid of my gallbladder if necessary!

So I was just wondering whether anyone else had experience with a met to the gallbladder.

Hoping all of you are keeping well,

Allison

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          I just wanted to say I have been wondering how you are doing and I’m glad to hear that despite a little setback, you are feeling well Allison.

I am all for cutting it out if you can – maybe they can just make a little hole and pull it right out of there. Fini!

Amy

awillett1991
          Participant
            I just wanted to say I have been wondering how you are doing and I’m glad to hear that despite a little setback, you are feeling well Allison.

I am all for cutting it out if you can – maybe they can just make a little hole and pull it right out of there. Fini!

Amy

awillett1991
            Participant

Amy

AllyNTAus
                Participant

Amy, thanks for your thoughts.

I saw my local oncologist this morning, and she spoke to my melanoma oncologist, and their conclusion was that I should have the gallbladder removed now, while the (apparent) met is still relatively small, which makes it an easier operation, so I'm now scheduled to see my surgeon next week regarding keyhole surgery.

I have everything crossed that this is just a single random problem that can be taken care of because the Dabrafenib otherwise seems to have been working well. My local oncologist says I just have to be prepared for some of these things to happen now that I have been on the drug for 9 months.

Tina D
                  Participant

Allison,

I had my gallbladder removed laprascopically last Sept. The suregry and recovery were really not bad at all. I only stayed overnight because my bp runs low. Recovery was only a couple weeks, with lifting restrictions for a month. Mine was not melanoma related. Sounds like your mel is very well contained & that is a great thing!

Tina

Tina D
                    Participant

Allison,

I had my gallbladder removed laprascopically last Sept. The suregry and recovery were really not bad at all. I only stayed overnight because my bp runs low. Recovery was only a couple weeks, with lifting restrictions for a month. Mine was not melanoma related. Sounds like your mel is very well contained & that is a great thing!

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

Allison,

Tina

AllyNTAus
                        Participant

I saw my local oncologist this morning, and she spoke to my melanoma oncologist, and their conclusion was that I should have the gallbladder removed now, while the (apparent) met is still relatively small, which makes it an easier operation, so I'm now scheduled to see my surgeon next week regarding keyhole surgery.

I have everything crossed that this is just a single random problem that can be taken care of because the Dabrafenib otherwise seems to have been working well. My local oncologist says I just have to be prepared for some of these things to happen now that I have been on the drug for 9 months.

AllyNTAus
                          Participant

AllyNTAus
                          Participant
                            Hi everyone,
                            I am home from hospital, was able to get away with just the 4 little laparoscope incisions, but I am still a bit sore and bloated. Doc was pleased with being able to get the gallbladder out, and he took the chance to have a bit of a sticky beak around my abdominal cavity with the scope, he said there were a few spots in the pelvic area, but I do know that there are still some enlarged lymph nodes there, and also on one ovary, but I’ve been throwing up cysts on the ovaries from scan to scan which have been ultrasounded and shown to be of no concern. Major things like liver, bowel etc appeared clear.

So it sounds like things are not too bad, the next CT in mid March will be interesting.

AllyNTAus
                            Participant
                              Hi everyone,
                              I am home from hospital, was able to get away with just the 4 little laparoscope incisions, but I am still a bit sore and bloated. Doc was pleased with being able to get the gallbladder out, and he took the chance to have a bit of a sticky beak around my abdominal cavity with the scope, he said there were a few spots in the pelvic area, but I do know that there are still some enlarged lymph nodes there, and also on one ovary, but I’ve been throwing up cysts on the ovaries from scan to scan which have been ultrasounded and shown to be of no concern. Major things like liver, bowel etc appeared clear.

So it sounds like things are not too bad, the next CT in mid March will be interesting.

AllyNTAus
                              Participant
                                Hi everyone,

AllyNTAus
                                Participant
                                  Hi everyone,

POW
                                    Participant

Hi, Ally. I"m so glad you got that removed. One less tumor to worry about! When I had my gallbladder removed (not melanoma related) the first day I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach by Mike Tyson. But after that I bounced back quickly and resumed normal life (excep lifting things) within 4 or 5 days. I hope your recovery is as smooth. 

Keep fighting!

POW
                                      Participant

Hi, Ally. I"m so glad you got that removed. One less tumor to worry about! When I had my gallbladder removed (not melanoma related) the first day I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach by Mike Tyson. But after that I bounced back quickly and resumed normal life (excep lifting things) within 4 or 5 days. I hope your recovery is as smooth. 

Keep fighting!

POW
                                        Participant

Keep fighting!

AllyNTAus
                                        Participant
                                          Hi everyone,

AllyNTAus
                                          Participant
                                            Hi everyone,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics