The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melonoma getting worse. Need information about treatment Please respond

Forums General Melanoma Community melonoma getting worse. Need information about treatment Please respond

Participant

I asked if anyone thinks I am doing the best thing by going on Yervoy as the cancer is getting worse. I am scared about the side effects. BUT HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEW DRUG ZELBORAF.

I need info quickly. thanks Jim

I asked if anyone thinks I am doing the best thing by going on Yervoy as the cancer is getting worse. I am scared about the side effects. BUT HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEW DRUG ZELBORAF.

I need info quickly. thanks Jim

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

Jim, the side effects were manageable for me.  As soon as I got the diahrrea my doc put me on endocort C, which is a steroid that only works in the gut, so you don't have to stop the ipi by staying on it as you sometimes do with a regular steroid, and the ipi rash was manageable for me bacause my doc used doxipin (generic name for old anti-depressant) which was the only thing that worked.

I had only a partial response to Ipi, although there is a slight chance I might still respond, I am scheduled to begin IL-2 on Tuesday.  compared to IL-2's reported side-effects, ipi side-effects were milder.  I believe the worst side effects for ipi were reported during the trial phase when they were using 10 mg. per infusion, now they use 3mg.  

Don't get me wrong, you do have to be monitored quite closely on Ipi, and report ANY and ALL side effects to the doc.  Mine said to me, "you can't call me too much–it's your job to report in and it's my job to do the worrying if necessary."  I've never gotten such good care and immediate call-backs as I did when on  Ipi.

Good luck to you,

karen

NYKaren
          Participant

Jim, the side effects were manageable for me.  As soon as I got the diahrrea my doc put me on endocort C, which is a steroid that only works in the gut, so you don't have to stop the ipi by staying on it as you sometimes do with a regular steroid, and the ipi rash was manageable for me bacause my doc used doxipin (generic name for old anti-depressant) which was the only thing that worked.

I had only a partial response to Ipi, although there is a slight chance I might still respond, I am scheduled to begin IL-2 on Tuesday.  compared to IL-2's reported side-effects, ipi side-effects were milder.  I believe the worst side effects for ipi were reported during the trial phase when they were using 10 mg. per infusion, now they use 3mg.  

Don't get me wrong, you do have to be monitored quite closely on Ipi, and report ANY and ALL side effects to the doc.  Mine said to me, "you can't call me too much–it's your job to report in and it's my job to do the worrying if necessary."  I've never gotten such good care and immediate call-backs as I did when on  Ipi.

Good luck to you,

karen

washoegal
            Participant

This drug was known as vemurafenib or PLX4032 during the study phase.  You can do a search on either of these names also on this board for info.  Are you BRAF positive ?  That is the only thing it works for. 

washoegal
              Participant

This drug was known as vemurafenib or PLX4032 during the study phase.  You can do a search on either of these names also on this board for info.  Are you BRAF positive ?  That is the only thing it works for. 

Jim M.
                Participant

Hi Jim,

I had 4 infusions of Ipi/Yervoy in 08. It hadn't been approved at that time. All the patients and I were given a high dose at 10kg/mg. At that dose there were probably more severe side effects. I am a responder to Ipi as it boosted my immune system significantly, a response that my doctor sees in 10-20% of patients. I started the trial with resected melanoma.

My response came at a cost as Ipi attacked the pituitary gland. Since Nov. of 08 I've been on a steroid as a hormone replacement as the pituitary didn't regain it's function. Since then I've had 2 cases of cellulitis, a bacterial infection under the skin. Apparently people on steroids may be at greater risk for this and other infections as steroids weaken the immune system. Kind of crazy, thinking that my positive response would put me on steroids( 50% of patients are able to taper off the steroids).

That being said most of my other side effects were minor and manageable. I don't want to scare you but just want to share my experience. I believe the standard dose given for Yervoy is 3kg/mg. It's true, if you are a responder (around 30% are), Yervoy has the capacity to rev up your immune system to take down tumors. I don't know anything about Zelboraf.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 3 years 10 months

Jim M.
                  Participant

Hi Jim,

I had 4 infusions of Ipi/Yervoy in 08. It hadn't been approved at that time. All the patients and I were given a high dose at 10kg/mg. At that dose there were probably more severe side effects. I am a responder to Ipi as it boosted my immune system significantly, a response that my doctor sees in 10-20% of patients. I started the trial with resected melanoma.

My response came at a cost as Ipi attacked the pituitary gland. Since Nov. of 08 I've been on a steroid as a hormone replacement as the pituitary didn't regain it's function. Since then I've had 2 cases of cellulitis, a bacterial infection under the skin. Apparently people on steroids may be at greater risk for this and other infections as steroids weaken the immune system. Kind of crazy, thinking that my positive response would put me on steroids( 50% of patients are able to taper off the steroids).

That being said most of my other side effects were minor and manageable. I don't want to scare you but just want to share my experience. I believe the standard dose given for Yervoy is 3kg/mg. It's true, if you are a responder (around 30% are), Yervoy has the capacity to rev up your immune system to take down tumors. I don't know anything about Zelboraf.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 3 years 10 months

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

ZELBORAF was approved only for those that have the BRAF V600E mutation.  If you have this mutation it may provide a rapid reduction in your tumor load.  How long the benefits will last is still under investigation.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

ZELBORAF was approved only for those that have the BRAF V600E mutation.  If you have this mutation it may provide a rapid reduction in your tumor load.  How long the benefits will last is still under investigation.

Richard_K
                        Participant

It looks as if you are seeking comments concerning Zelboraf on this post; I hope the following helps.

In March 2010 I started on Zelboraf as part of the phase 2 or BRIM2 trial and today I am still part of that trial.

When I started on the trial, my lung mets measured 8.9 x 6.8 cm and 5.2 x 2.5 cm.  I had a very bad cough, had breathing difficulty, and it was difficult to speak without having to stop to catch my breath.  Within three weeks of taking Zelboraf, these conditions were greatly improved.  At six weeks in, I had my first set of monitoring scans and the mets were now 6.6 x 5.3 cm and 4.5 x 2.3 cm for a combined shrinkage of 38%.

Every six weeks I would have monitoring scans and continued to experience significant shrinkage.  By mid-December 2010, mets were 2.7 x .5 cm and 2.3 x 1.1 cm.  More importantly, the PET scan showed no “abnormal hypermetabolic activity to suggest malignancy”, condition and approximate size I have today.

I am also very fortunate to not have severe side effects.  Over the course of treatment, I experienced: mild joint pain, mild fatigue, body rash (none on face), photosensitivity, body hair loss (not head), mild neuropathy/ swelling in feet, and warts (one of which turned out to be a squamous cell carcinoma).

As of today I still have: mild body rash (none on face), photosensitivity, body hair loss (it's growing back), and mild neuropathy/ swelling in feet.

While I recognize my Zelboraf results are extraordinary there are other individuals experiencing phenomenal results.  Should you ultimately decide to proceed with Zelboraf, I can only hope that you too have similar results.

Dick

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Love those results!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Love those results!

lhaley
                                Participant

Dick,

Thank you for posting your great results! 

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Dick,

Thank you for posting your great results! 

Linda

Richard_K
                                  Participant

It looks as if you are seeking comments concerning Zelboraf on this post; I hope the following helps.

In March 2010 I started on Zelboraf as part of the phase 2 or BRIM2 trial and today I am still part of that trial.

When I started on the trial, my lung mets measured 8.9 x 6.8 cm and 5.2 x 2.5 cm.  I had a very bad cough, had breathing difficulty, and it was difficult to speak without having to stop to catch my breath.  Within three weeks of taking Zelboraf, these conditions were greatly improved.  At six weeks in, I had my first set of monitoring scans and the mets were now 6.6 x 5.3 cm and 4.5 x 2.3 cm for a combined shrinkage of 38%.

Every six weeks I would have monitoring scans and continued to experience significant shrinkage.  By mid-December 2010, mets were 2.7 x .5 cm and 2.3 x 1.1 cm.  More importantly, the PET scan showed no “abnormal hypermetabolic activity to suggest malignancy”, condition and approximate size I have today.

I am also very fortunate to not have severe side effects.  Over the course of treatment, I experienced: mild joint pain, mild fatigue, body rash (none on face), photosensitivity, body hair loss (not head), mild neuropathy/ swelling in feet, and warts (one of which turned out to be a squamous cell carcinoma).

As of today I still have: mild body rash (none on face), photosensitivity, body hair loss (it's growing back), and mild neuropathy/ swelling in feet.

While I recognize my Zelboraf results are extraordinary there are other individuals experiencing phenomenal results.  Should you ultimately decide to proceed with Zelboraf, I can only hope that you too have similar results.

Dick

TracyLee
                                    Participant

Jim,

I'm the poster child for Yervoy/ipi followed immediately by BRAF.

Read my profile for full details, but the two in combination was literally a lifesaver.

Very little side effects with ipi=fatigue, some dizziness and nausea. BRAF side effects=rash which worked down from my neck/torso to my legs. Ugly but manageable. A little fatigue, also.

Best of luck!

TracyLee

TracyLee
                                      Participant

Jim,

I'm the poster child for Yervoy/ipi followed immediately by BRAF.

Read my profile for full details, but the two in combination was literally a lifesaver.

Very little side effects with ipi=fatigue, some dizziness and nausea. BRAF side effects=rash which worked down from my neck/torso to my legs. Ugly but manageable. A little fatigue, also.

Best of luck!

TracyLee

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics