The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Yikes!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Yikes!!!

Participant

I was just diagnosed with melanoma Dec.6,2013. Here is what my pathology report says: Malignant Melanoma Breslow thickness .30mm, no ulceration,mitotic index per mm square 0, peripheral margins negative, deep margins negative, lymphovascular NIL, AJCC/TNM classification: pT1a NX MX. My doctor said he got all of the melanoma out during my intial biopsy. So with that said will I have to have a SNB and WLE? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

A SNB is not typically done for a stage IA lesion – especially one as thin as yours.  1mm is usually the cutoff and you are way below that.  Typically, the WLE is all that is needed.  Stage IA has an extremely high survival rate.  You're in great shape for someone who has to be diagnosed with cancer.  Get the surgery taken care of, practice sun safety, watch for CHANGE on any of your other moles (<10% have another primary melanoma) and LIVE LIFE!

Best wishes,

Janner

WendyD.
            Participant

Thanks Janner I appreciate the quick reply. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm a little nervous because I go Monday to have some more areas to be removed and biopsied. I think things like well thank God the first one wasn't as bad as it could have been and then I think wow what if these are melanoma too and worst than the first one. How many more moles have you had to have removed(if any) and did they come back ok?

Janner
              Participant

I never went on a "mole rampage" as I call it.  I am one of the small minority with multiple primaries.  (I have a genetic defect that give me a high likelihood for that (2-4%)).  I only biopsy things that CHANGE.  I have photographs taken of my atypical looking moles.  I watch for change – anything that seems to bother me, comes to my attention or obviously changes is biopsied.  Nothing else.  I don't see the point.  My doc and facility utilize photographs and mole mapping (sophisticated photos and software) to determine what changes and those moles are removed.  I don't remove any moles that aren't changing.  It's unlikely that any of your other moles are melanoma – as I said before, less than 10% ever have another melanoma primary.  Your outlook is really good.  Are any of the moles you are having removed tomorrow changing (or itching)?  To me, that is #1.  If it isn't changing, I'm not biopsying.  That's me.  YOU get to do what works for you!

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

WendyD.
                Participant

One of the moles isn't bothering me at all. I have had it all of my life, but the doctor said it concerned him. The other mole does itch and it bothers me, but it might be becuae it's in an area where my seat belt and clothes rubb up against it. It doesn't itch all the time or anything, just enough to make me want it off.

Janner
                  Participant

I had a mole on my ankle that had been there forever – it actually looked more like melanoma than my 3 primaries.  So looks were "ugly".  We only removed it because it appeared to change.  We weren't sure, the pictures were a little tough to interpret.  One of those situations where just a change in lighting might make things look different.  So it was removed "just in case".  It was mildly atypical.  Not remotely close to being melanoma or changing to become melanoma.  So, the fact that you don't thing the mole has changed is a good thing.  As for the other one that gets rubbed, I'd remove that.  Any mole that gets irritated a lot – just makes sense to have it gone.

Janner
                    Participant

I had a mole on my ankle that had been there forever – it actually looked more like melanoma than my 3 primaries.  So looks were "ugly".  We only removed it because it appeared to change.  We weren't sure, the pictures were a little tough to interpret.  One of those situations where just a change in lighting might make things look different.  So it was removed "just in case".  It was mildly atypical.  Not remotely close to being melanoma or changing to become melanoma.  So, the fact that you don't thing the mole has changed is a good thing.  As for the other one that gets rubbed, I'd remove that.  Any mole that gets irritated a lot – just makes sense to have it gone.

Janner
                      Participant

WendyD.
                        Participant

One of the moles isn't bothering me at all. I have had it all of my life, but the doctor said it concerned him. The other mole does itch and it bothers me, but it might be becuae it's in an area where my seat belt and clothes rubb up against it. It doesn't itch all the time or anything, just enough to make me want it off.

WendyD.
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

I never went on a "mole rampage" as I call it.  I am one of the small minority with multiple primaries.  (I have a genetic defect that give me a high likelihood for that (2-4%)).  I only biopsy things that CHANGE.  I have photographs taken of my atypical looking moles.  I watch for change – anything that seems to bother me, comes to my attention or obviously changes is biopsied.  Nothing else.  I don't see the point.  My doc and facility utilize photographs and mole mapping (sophisticated photos and software) to determine what changes and those moles are removed.  I don't remove any moles that aren't changing.  It's unlikely that any of your other moles are melanoma – as I said before, less than 10% ever have another melanoma primary.  Your outlook is really good.  Are any of the moles you are having removed tomorrow changing (or itching)?  To me, that is #1.  If it isn't changing, I'm not biopsying.  That's me.  YOU get to do what works for you!

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Janner

WendyD.
                                Participant

Thanks Janner I appreciate the quick reply. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm a little nervous because I go Monday to have some more areas to be removed and biopsied. I think things like well thank God the first one wasn't as bad as it could have been and then I think wow what if these are melanoma too and worst than the first one. How many more moles have you had to have removed(if any) and did they come back ok?

WendyD.
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

A SNB is not typically done for a stage IA lesion – especially one as thin as yours.  1mm is usually the cutoff and you are way below that.  Typically, the WLE is all that is needed.  Stage IA has an extremely high survival rate.  You're in great shape for someone who has to be diagnosed with cancer.  Get the surgery taken care of, practice sun safety, watch for CHANGE on any of your other moles (<10% have another primary melanoma) and LIVE LIFE!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics