The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma statistics while NED

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma statistics while NED

Participant

I have seen survival statistics based upon stage at initial diagnosis or based upon moving to a new stage, but have not seen survival statistics based upon going NED for a period of time.  In other words, if a stage 3c individual goes 1 year NED are her survival statistics improved vs what the statistics indicate at initial diagnosis?   I would assume the longer a person stays NED the better the chances of long term survival, but I have not seen those statistics.  I know everyone is different and one should not obsess over statistics, but I would like to see what they are if they exist.  I would appreciate it of someone could direct me to the right place.  Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        liberty04281
        Participant

I wish I know the same thing. I was diagnosed with stage IB in April 2010. A year and half later I become stage 3b. I had neck dissection, and two lymph nodes positive with melanoma.

At the beginning of April 2013 I had removal of axilla lymph nodes, one positive for melanoma.

On January 3, 2014,  two small lymph nodes were removed from my wall chest, it put me now at stage 3C.

Now I have never been more scared  for my life..I am at Memorial Sloan in New York, and have good doctors. In a few week I will see my oncologist, I do not know if he is going to put me in some clinical trial.

Still I am optimistic.

liberty04281
          Participant

I wish I know the same thing. I was diagnosed with stage IB in April 2010. A year and half later I become stage 3b. I had neck dissection, and two lymph nodes positive with melanoma.

At the beginning of April 2013 I had removal of axilla lymph nodes, one positive for melanoma.

On January 3, 2014,  two small lymph nodes were removed from my wall chest, it put me now at stage 3C.

Now I have never been more scared  for my life..I am at Memorial Sloan in New York, and have good doctors. In a few week I will see my oncologist, I do not know if he is going to put me in some clinical trial.

Still I am optimistic.

liberty04281
            Participant

Still I am optimistic.

Janner
              Participant

I did a search and you can do it too – "melanoma stage III survival curves" and got quite a few hits.  There are links from ASCO that have a lot of graphs.  Over time, the survival curve does improve but the timeline is definitely stage-dependent.

Janner
                Participant

I did a search and you can do it too – "melanoma stage III survival curves" and got quite a few hits.  There are links from ASCO that have a lot of graphs.  Over time, the survival curve does improve but the timeline is definitely stage-dependent.

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics