The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Staging

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Staging

Participant

I met a woman the other day at the market and we got into an conversation about melanoma,

she said her brother was Stage 5.  Has there been a change in th staging system?

CKasper

I met a woman the other day at the market and we got into an conversation about melanoma,

she said her brother was Stage 5.  Has there been a change in th staging system?

CKasper

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

No, the most recent changes in the staging system were in 2010.  However, the changes were subtle and mostly affected stage I people.  There is no stage V (unless she means passed away), but there is a Clark's Level V.  Clark's Level V is when the initial tumor extends into the subcutanous fat.  Typically, those lesions are quite deep.  Since people often confuse stage and Clark's Level, I would probably assume that mistake was made here as well.  I might be wrong, but I don't believe any cancers have staging beyond stage IV.

Janner

CKasper
            Participant

Thank you for the information. 

C

CKasper
              Participant

Thank you for the information. 

C

Janner
              Participant

No, the most recent changes in the staging system were in 2010.  However, the changes were subtle and mostly affected stage I people.  There is no stage V (unless she means passed away), but there is a Clark's Level V.  Clark's Level V is when the initial tumor extends into the subcutanous fat.  Typically, those lesions are quite deep.  Since people often confuse stage and Clark's Level, I would probably assume that mistake was made here as well.  I might be wrong, but I don't believe any cancers have staging beyond stage IV.

Janner

LynnLuc
                Participant

unless you count stage 0 ( insitu)

LynnLuc
                  Participant

LynnLuc
                    Participant

LynnLuc
                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics