The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma spreading to lymph nodes

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma spreading to lymph nodes

Participant

How big is chance for 2mm Breslow unulcerated Clark 2 melanoma to spread to Lymph nodes?…How it was in your situations? I am going to do  SNB and scared to death..:( Thanks again and again for all you support and information yougiven me.

I am keeping you in my prays.

How big is chance for 2mm Breslow unulcerated Clark 2 melanoma to spread to Lymph nodes?…How it was in your situations? I am going to do  SNB and scared to death..:( Thanks again and again for all you support and information yougiven me.

I am keeping you in my prays.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

It's natural to be afraid.  But the surgery, at least for me, was quite easy.  Weather or not the Mel has spread may depend on a lot of factors, one of which is the mitotic rate.   My tumor was >3mm with a 16 mitotic rate (that's an extremely high rate of spread).  I feel I was lucky that it had only spread microscopicly to 2 Sentinal Nodes. Still here and NED almost 2 years later. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

It's natural to be afraid.  But the surgery, at least for me, was quite easy.  Weather or not the Mel has spread may depend on a lot of factors, one of which is the mitotic rate.   My tumor was >3mm with a 16 mitotic rate (that's an extremely high rate of spread).  I feel I was lucky that it had only spread microscopicly to 2 Sentinal Nodes. Still here and NED almost 2 years later. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

natasha
              Participant

Thank you ,Mary ! It gives me hope. Did you do interferon or something ? Unfortenately ,I do not now my mitotic rate…Waiting for results from second lab for second opinion..

washoegal
                Participant

Glad you are getting a second opinin.  Generally if there is no mitiotic rate stated than it is zero but as Janner stated your first pathology is a little inconsistant.  I did not do interferon.  I had the rest of my lymph nodes removed, which thankfully were clear, and now just do scans regularly and see the derm ALOT.  Looking forward to the day when I can cut back on both so I feel less like I cancer patient!

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                  Participant

Glad you are getting a second opinin.  Generally if there is no mitiotic rate stated than it is zero but as Janner stated your first pathology is a little inconsistant.  I did not do interferon.  I had the rest of my lymph nodes removed, which thankfully were clear, and now just do scans regularly and see the derm ALOT.  Looking forward to the day when I can cut back on both so I feel less like I cancer patient!

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                    Participant

Mary

Stage3

natasha
                      Participant

Thank you ,Mary ! It gives me hope. Did you do interferon or something ? Unfortenately ,I do not now my mitotic rate…Waiting for results from second lab for second opinion..

natasha
                        Participant

washoegal
                        Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                          Participant

I really think you need to get the second opinion before you start worrying.  As you know, Clark's Level  II and 2mm are a bit incongruous.  So it's possible that either are wrong.  I think you need to get that opinion from someone who diagnoses melanoma a lot (dermatopathologist).  THEN worry about the restn when you have more reliable data to work with.  Until then, you might be worrying about the wrong things!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

I really think you need to get the second opinion before you start worrying.  As you know, Clark's Level  II and 2mm are a bit incongruous.  So it's possible that either are wrong.  I think you need to get that opinion from someone who diagnoses melanoma a lot (dermatopathologist).  THEN worry about the restn when you have more reliable data to work with.  Until then, you might be worrying about the wrong things!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

LynnLuc
                                Participant

In 2000 mine was removed from my necklark's Level 3. Tumor Thickness 1.45mm.

Within the dermis is a tumor composed of sheets of mildly atypical melanocytes some of which are pigmented. The pattern is consistent with malignant melanoma and involves a widened papillary dermis. Unequivocal invasion into the reticular dermis is identified. There are a few atypical melanocytes within the epidermis although pagetoid spread is not a prominent component. Tumor thickness is measured 1.45 mm. The margins of excision appear uninvolved. A reexcision  is a consideration. Correlate clinically.

So they went back in a few weeks later and took out 5 SLN.

It wasn't until 2009 it came back and was in a lymph node by my heart. The it was stage 4.

I am in a trial and also will be having my 2 year NEDversary on March 26.

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

Within the dermis is a tumor composed of sheets of mildly atypical melanocytes some of which are pigmented. The pattern is consistent with malignant melanoma and involves a widened papillary dermis. Unequivocal invasion into the reticular dermis is identified. There are a few atypical melanocytes within the epidermis although pagetoid spread is not a prominent component. Tumor thickness is measured 1.45 mm. The margins of excision appear uninvolved. A reexcision  is a consideration. Correlate clinically.

It wasn't until 2009 it came back and was in a lymph node by my heart. The it was stage 4.

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

PS  when they took out the 5 SLN  they said they were all clear….go figure…

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

natasha
                                              Participant

Congradulations on beeing NED !!!!!!

Yes ,looks like melanoma is absolutily unpredictable disease …

My current pathology report is very similiar to yours in describtion . Just thicker tumor.

So it looks like even negative SNB results cannot guarantee melanoma will not come back in future?

natasha
                                                Participant

My current pathology report is very similiar to yours in describtion . Just thicker tumor.

So it looks like even negative SNB results cannot guarantee melanoma will not come back in future?

natasha
                                                  Participant

barb3246
                                                    Participant

I'm new here, so I'm not sure I understand all the terminology yet. I was reading your pathology, and I am a bit confused – how can the tumor be composed of "mildly atypical melanocytes " if its melanoma? Wouldn't the melanocytes be severely atypical? A lot of my moles were called mildly or moderately atypical, but were said to be benign.  Is it just the pattern of the cells that make it malignant, not the degree of atypia??  This disease is so confusing.

barb3246
                                                      Participant

I'm new here, so I'm not sure I understand all the terminology yet. I was reading your pathology, and I am a bit confused – how can the tumor be composed of "mildly atypical melanocytes " if its melanoma? Wouldn't the melanocytes be severely atypical? A lot of my moles were called mildly or moderately atypical, but were said to be benign.  Is it just the pattern of the cells that make it malignant, not the degree of atypia??  This disease is so confusing.

barb3246
                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                          Participant

There are two types of atypia when lesions are evaluated:  cellular and architectural.  In general, I think you are right.  A lesion showing mildly atypical cells is unlikely to be melanoma even if the architecture indicates it.  Most likely, you will have degrees of atypia in both areas.  But each area is evaluated and then an overall opinion is made looking at all the factors.  Pathology is an art as well as a science.  There are no exact guidelines for determining which lesion is melanoma or not – it is a concatenation of many factors.  That's why having an experienced dermatopathologist is a key.

Janner

Janner
                                                            Participant

There are two types of atypia when lesions are evaluated:  cellular and architectural.  In general, I think you are right.  A lesion showing mildly atypical cells is unlikely to be melanoma even if the architecture indicates it.  Most likely, you will have degrees of atypia in both areas.  But each area is evaluated and then an overall opinion is made looking at all the factors.  Pathology is an art as well as a science.  There are no exact guidelines for determining which lesion is melanoma or not – it is a concatenation of many factors.  That's why having an experienced dermatopathologist is a key.

Janner

Janner
                                                              Participant

Janner

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

My husband had a 10.5mm ulcerated and the SN came back clear when they did the Wide excision all clear as well. 9 months later another not ulcerated one close to the last and 2 years 8 months later it was in the liver, lungs and an inoperable pressing on the spine at C1 and C2.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

My husband had a 10.5mm ulcerated and the SN came back clear when they did the Wide excision all clear as well. 9 months later another not ulcerated one close to the last and 2 years 8 months later it was in the liver, lungs and an inoperable pressing on the spine at C1 and C2.

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Minnesota
                                                                    Participant

Do you know how long it will be before you get the second opinion on your biopsy?

Mine was 1.45mm and a mitotic rate of 5 and my SNB and WLE were negative. I had a Clark IV, but both the derm and surgeon said to ignore that. The surgery was much easier than I expected it to be, even though I'm still having problems with my SNB incision 4 weeks later (spitting stitches).

I'm usually pretty good at understanding medical things, but melanoma confuses me to no end. It seems to do whatever it wants to do.

If your second opinion comes back as a Clark II, and the mistake was that it is 0.02mm, and not 0.02cm, you won't have a SNB, and you can put any thoughts of melanoma behind you except for being careful. I really hope that is what happens – its all this waiting that drives a person crazy. All I can say is that no matter what happens, it gets better. I really lost it when there was a question about my WLE margins and my surgery pathology was sent for a second opinion – and then found out that there was also an issue with my SNB too – it had a capsular melonocytic nevus in it. Once I knew they were okay, my entire thought process changed and I was soon myself again.  

Its very upsetting to find out that others have had negative SNB and WLE, and it has still spread – or came back, but you have to tell yourself that someone who that didn't happen to isn't going to be writing about it on a forum because they are back to doing their normal things. 

One thing that helped me was putting my energy into things I could control. I bought a swimsuit from Australia that has sleeves and covers my scars and is 50+ UPF. I also bought a very lightweight long-sleeve shirt used by sporting people that is 30+ UPF. I researched sunscreen and incision care. I started reading about foods that give the most nutrients that can help with fighting cancer. I told myself that if my family saw that I was upset all the time, they would be upset all the time, and then that would affect their health, as well as mine. 

The first thought I have when I wake up each morning is, "I have cancer," I am trying to change that thought to, "I had cancer." I might get it back, I don't know, but right now, as far as anyone can tell, I don't have it and I'm going to try to keep it that way and I don't want to ruin all the "I don't have it now" time with thoughts of "what if it comes back or I still have it" because I am certainly not sick from it.  

Minnesota
                                                                      Participant

Do you know how long it will be before you get the second opinion on your biopsy?

Mine was 1.45mm and a mitotic rate of 5 and my SNB and WLE were negative. I had a Clark IV, but both the derm and surgeon said to ignore that. The surgery was much easier than I expected it to be, even though I'm still having problems with my SNB incision 4 weeks later (spitting stitches).

I'm usually pretty good at understanding medical things, but melanoma confuses me to no end. It seems to do whatever it wants to do.

If your second opinion comes back as a Clark II, and the mistake was that it is 0.02mm, and not 0.02cm, you won't have a SNB, and you can put any thoughts of melanoma behind you except for being careful. I really hope that is what happens – its all this waiting that drives a person crazy. All I can say is that no matter what happens, it gets better. I really lost it when there was a question about my WLE margins and my surgery pathology was sent for a second opinion – and then found out that there was also an issue with my SNB too – it had a capsular melonocytic nevus in it. Once I knew they were okay, my entire thought process changed and I was soon myself again.  

Its very upsetting to find out that others have had negative SNB and WLE, and it has still spread – or came back, but you have to tell yourself that someone who that didn't happen to isn't going to be writing about it on a forum because they are back to doing their normal things. 

One thing that helped me was putting my energy into things I could control. I bought a swimsuit from Australia that has sleeves and covers my scars and is 50+ UPF. I also bought a very lightweight long-sleeve shirt used by sporting people that is 30+ UPF. I researched sunscreen and incision care. I started reading about foods that give the most nutrients that can help with fighting cancer. I told myself that if my family saw that I was upset all the time, they would be upset all the time, and then that would affect their health, as well as mine. 

The first thought I have when I wake up each morning is, "I have cancer," I am trying to change that thought to, "I had cancer." I might get it back, I don't know, but right now, as far as anyone can tell, I don't have it and I'm going to try to keep it that way and I don't want to ruin all the "I don't have it now" time with thoughts of "what if it comes back or I still have it" because I am certainly not sick from it.  

Minnesota
                                                                        Participant

Mike N
                                                                            Participant

Hey Natasha,

My fingers are beginning to cramp holding them crossed for good luck as we wait to hear about the true depth of your mm. Having researched this for eleven years now I find that one cannot count on anything in terms of metastasis or re-occurrence.
                                                                              Minnesota in the previous post does make a point that many of us that have had negative SNLB's and no re-occurrence do not hang around here much mentioning that we are fine.

My mm was 0.85mm deep and categorized as Clarks level III. Location was on my left thigh.

It took me about three years to become really comfortable again in my skin. No, I did not loose sleep or change my life in any way, but it took some time to get over the daily fear. Like Minnesota said above – "The first thought I have when I wake up each morning is, "I have cancer,"-

I have been waking up for many years now without thinking of my melanoma. I do however have the realization that it could come back in the future.

Please let us know the outcome of your second opinion. I'm holding out for 0.2mm depth.

Best,

Mike N, (also in Minnesota)

11years NED

Mike N
                                                                              Participant

Hey Natasha,

My fingers are beginning to cramp holding them crossed for good luck as we wait to hear about the true depth of your mm. Having researched this for eleven years now I find that one cannot count on anything in terms of metastasis or re-occurrence.
                                                                                Minnesota in the previous post does make a point that many of us that have had negative SNLB's and no re-occurrence do not hang around here much mentioning that we are fine.

My mm was 0.85mm deep and categorized as Clarks level III. Location was on my left thigh.

It took me about three years to become really comfortable again in my skin. No, I did not loose sleep or change my life in any way, but it took some time to get over the daily fear. Like Minnesota said above – "The first thought I have when I wake up each morning is, "I have cancer,"-

I have been waking up for many years now without thinking of my melanoma. I do however have the realization that it could come back in the future.

Please let us know the outcome of your second opinion. I'm holding out for 0.2mm depth.

Best,

11years NED

Mike N
                                                                                Participant

Hey Natasha,

Best,

11years NED

natasha
                                                                                  Participant

Hi ,Mike and everyone !

Thanks for your reply ! Today I had a phone call from my first lab , they said they had conversation with my second opinion lab and first pathologist just realised he made typing mistake. My tumor is .2 mm isntead of 2mm.

I cannot describe how I feel myself now. I nearly collapsed then I heard that great news. I was living with my ''2mm'' stress for one month and half.

All doctor said, how sorry he is and it is first mistake in all his long practice. Everyone can make mistakes ,and I do my mistakes at work as well ,so I cannot be angry on him.

God helped me. God heard all my preys. God gave me serious warning. I NEED to change my life to more positive way.

I do think I have much more chances to be alive with my new diagnosys and even have a child ( probably to adopt).

I will have my appointment with my Doc tomorrow to disscuss my treatment in current situation, but I do not think I am in need of SNB.

If I will say – Iam happy , I would not say anything.I am more then happy.

NEVER EVER give up hope. In any situation ,on any stage — life is unpredictable thing.

GOD BLESS YOU.

Minnesota
                                                                                    Participant

That's wonderful news!

Minnesota
                                                                                      Participant

That's wonderful news!

Minnesota
                                                                                        Participant

That's wonderful news!

natasha
                                                                                          Participant

Hi ,Mike and everyone !

Thanks for your reply ! Today I had a phone call from my first lab , they said they had conversation with my second opinion lab and first pathologist just realised he made typing mistake. My tumor is .2 mm isntead of 2mm.

I cannot describe how I feel myself now. I nearly collapsed then I heard that great news. I was living with my ''2mm'' stress for one month and half.

All doctor said, how sorry he is and it is first mistake in all his long practice. Everyone can make mistakes ,and I do my mistakes at work as well ,so I cannot be angry on him.

God helped me. God heard all my preys. God gave me serious warning. I NEED to change my life to more positive way.

I do think I have much more chances to be alive with my new diagnosys and even have a child ( probably to adopt).

I will have my appointment with my Doc tomorrow to disscuss my treatment in current situation, but I do not think I am in need of SNB.

NEVER EVER give up hope. In any situation ,on any stage — life is unpredictable thing.

GOD BLESS YOU.

natasha
                                                                                            Participant

Hi ,Mike and everyone !

GOD BLESS YOU.

Kelli100299
                                                                                              Participant

Hello my J-3 sista and MRF fam~

I still make myself sick at times when reading the posts of negative WLE and SNB's that take a turn…I always have that haunting in the back of my mind. My hope is that doesn't happen to me or my friends here, and those it did happen to battle and kick a$$. I like your positive thoughts of taking control of things you can change. My dermatologist, Steven Q. Wang , from Sloan wrote a book (Beating Melanoma: A Five-Step Survival Guide (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book). He did research on a bunch of sunscreens and found 2 to be a couple of the best, I will check for you as they are on my paperwork at home.

Natasha – So happy that you received the news you were hoping for. I realize that people make mistakes but that was a BIG boo booh. I know what it feels like to receive the news of melanoma, you are already confused, and frantic, so I am really glad that they found the error and provided you with this good news. I am sure that was the longest month of your life…so sorry you went through that.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                Participant

I still make myself sick at times when reading the posts of negative WLE and SNB's that take a turn…I always have that haunting in the back of my mind. My hope is that doesn't happen to me or my friends here, and those it did happen to battle and kick a$$. I like your positive thoughts of taking control of things you can change. My dermatologist, Steven Q. Wang , from Sloan wrote a book (Beating Melanoma: A Five-Step Survival Guide (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book). He did research on a bunch of sunscreens and found 2 to be a couple of the best, I will check for you as they are on my paperwork at home.

Natasha – So happy that you received the news you were hoping for. I realize that people make mistakes but that was a BIG boo booh. I know what it feels like to receive the news of melanoma, you are already confused, and frantic, so I am really glad that they found the error and provided you with this good news. I am sure that was the longest month of your life…so sorry you went through that.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                  Participant

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                    Participant

Kelli

Minnesota
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi to {{my J3K!}}

Sounds like you had a great visit to Sloan for your second opinion? I want to know which sunscreens Dr. Wang recommends. I read an article he wrote that said that most people don't apply them correctly – I don't know how I'm going to keep my mouth shut when I see people baking like lobsters when I'm on vacation!

Minnesota
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi to {{my J3K!}}

Sounds like you had a great visit to Sloan for your second opinion? I want to know which sunscreens Dr. Wang recommends. I read an article he wrote that said that most people don't apply them correctly – I don't know how I'm going to keep my mouth shut when I see people baking like lobsters when I'm on vacation!

Kelli100299
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi – Yes, I am like inspector gadget now with moles, lol. I was watching that dumb show a couple weeks ago “The Lottery Changed my Life” and there was a guy on there with this dark dark mole right on his cheek. He was obviously an avid sports guy, in his 50’s. They showed him on the water jet-skiing around, red from the sun, but I couldn’t get passed that dark mole. When they panned back to earlier pictures of him and his wife dating etc. he didn’t have the mole. All I kept thinking was, not that he won millions of dollars, but, why doesn’t he get that mole looked at!!!!

I will get you those sunscreens…hugs~ Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi – Yes, I am like inspector gadget now with moles, lol. I was watching that dumb show a couple weeks ago “The Lottery Changed my Life” and there was a guy on there with this dark dark mole right on his cheek. He was obviously an avid sports guy, in his 50’s. They showed him on the water jet-skiing around, red from the sun, but I couldn’t get passed that dark mole. When they panned back to earlier pictures of him and his wife dating etc. he didn’t have the mole. All I kept thinking was, not that he won millions of dollars, but, why doesn’t he get that mole looked at!!!!

Kelli100299
                                                                                                              Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                                                Participant

Hi to {{my J3K!}}

Kelli100299
                                                                                                                  Participant

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                                    Participant

Kelli

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics