The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MELANOMA SPREAD TO BREAST???

Forums General Melanoma Community MELANOMA SPREAD TO BREAST???

Participant

Hi i am a long time survivour stave 111, 18 years …..i just had a mammogram that came back funny, i am going again….but of course as u all know u jump to is is melanoma…….i am just wondering, if it is, has anyone had it spread there, ….what did you do……etc. etc. thanks so much…..

dianne

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Most anomalies in the breast end up being nothing.  Sometimes it is the scan, sometimes it's just fibrous tissue or cysts.  And at this far out for you, BC might be a higher risk than melanoma.  I say take it one day at a time.  I'm stage I with three primaries and had my own breast anomalies – both scans and benign breast tissue all of which needed to be checked, but turned out to be nothing.

Janner
          Participant

Most anomalies in the breast end up being nothing.  Sometimes it is the scan, sometimes it's just fibrous tissue or cysts.  And at this far out for you, BC might be a higher risk than melanoma.  I say take it one day at a time.  I'm stage I with three primaries and had my own breast anomalies – both scans and benign breast tissue all of which needed to be checked, but turned out to be nothing.

Janner
            Participant

Swanee
              Participant

Hi Dianne,

It's good to hear that you are a long time survivor, 18 years, that's awesome!  However, I know it probably hasn't been an easy 18 years, even if there is no reoccurence, once diagnosed with melanoma, it's never far away from our minds.

I was diagnosed stage IV from the get go and had many subcutaneous tumors along my trunk and in my right breast.  I had the breast tumors removed after an unsuccessful treatment as the tumors had grown to large to live with.  However, the year previous to being diagnosed with melanoma, there was concern from mammograms that indicated a problem they described as a abnormal calcification and was watched up until the time it was discovered I had melanoma, at which time the tumors took off and became quite obvious. 

It's been 4 years since my initial diagnosis and I have had 16 tumors removed, have tried 3 treatments and just recently had a complete lymph node dissection of the right axilla, I am now NED and hope I will remain that way for a very long time : ))

I don't think melanoma has any boundaries and that's the difficult part of treating it, it just pops up wherever it wants to!  So far, I've been lucky enought to have all my tumors surgically removed and I read about so many other long time survivors who have done the same!  I'm convinced, if possible, cut it out!  

Best wishes in your journey,

Swanee

liberty04281
                  Participant

You are lucky that you are 18 years survivor.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with stage IB, a year and half later I became stage III.

I also had abnormality in my breast, and my oncologist suspected it was melanoma. I had a surgical biopsy, and it showed it was benign.

There are cases where melanoma goes to breast.

If I were you I would not worry.

Good Luck!

mbaelaporte
                    Participant

doubleexposure

you have me thinking I'm single exposure

yes I began 4 yrs ago  diseased in lymph nodes axila to neck, radiation, Zelboraf, two different sessions w / Ipi , anti Pd 1 – eliminated all smaller residual tumors / lesions but couldn't tame what was happening in my left breast ( size of big half greatfruit )

departed anti pd 1 trial for radical mastectomy Dr. Neligan UWPhysicians

felt great two days later, continue to feel good & scouting here for ideas on next venture

as others have said it can grow anywhere & I'm thinking it was fortunate it was an external appendage rather than internal & lended itself to a lopping

all the best,  john

mbaelaporte
                      Participant

doubleexposure

yes I began 4 yrs ago  diseased in lymph nodes axila to neck, radiation, Zelboraf, two different sessions w / Ipi , anti Pd 1 – eliminated all smaller residual tumors / lesions but couldn't tame what was happening in my left breast ( size of big half greatfruit )

felt great two days later, continue to feel good & scouting here for ideas on next venture

as others have said it can grow anywhere & I'm thinking it was fortunate it was an external appendage rather than internal & lended itself to a lopping

all the best,  john

mbaelaporte
                        Participant

doubleexposure

all the best,  john

nightengale
                          Participant

In April 2013 I was diagnosed with Melanoma of the scalp, stage 2B,  and in November we found that there are mets to my breast, lung, abdominal cavity and bones.  My oncologist talked to me about taking YERVOY, an immunotherapy drug and I agreed to try it.  On February 11 I'll be getting my last dose and I'm anxious to see how well I've responded to the drug.

nightengale
                            Participant

In April 2013 I was diagnosed with Melanoma of the scalp, stage 2B,  and in November we found that there are mets to my breast, lung, abdominal cavity and bones.  My oncologist talked to me about taking YERVOY, an immunotherapy drug and I agreed to try it.  On February 11 I'll be getting my last dose and I'm anxious to see how well I've responded to the drug.

nightengale
                              Participant

liberty04281
                                Participant

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with stage IB, a year and half later I became stage III.

I also had abnormality in my breast, and my oncologist suspected it was melanoma. I had a surgical biopsy, and it showed it was benign.

Good Luck!

liberty04281
                                  Participant

Good Luck!

Swanee
                                  Participant

Hi Dianne,

It's good to hear that you are a long time survivor, 18 years, that's awesome!  However, I know it probably hasn't been an easy 18 years, even if there is no reoccurence, once diagnosed with melanoma, it's never far away from our minds.

I was diagnosed stage IV from the get go and had many subcutaneous tumors along my trunk and in my right breast.  I had the breast tumors removed after an unsuccessful treatment as the tumors had grown to large to live with.  However, the year previous to being diagnosed with melanoma, there was concern from mammograms that indicated a problem they described as a abnormal calcification and was watched up until the time it was discovered I had melanoma, at which time the tumors took off and became quite obvious. 

It's been 4 years since my initial diagnosis and I have had 16 tumors removed, have tried 3 treatments and just recently had a complete lymph node dissection of the right axilla, I am now NED and hope I will remain that way for a very long time : ))

I don't think melanoma has any boundaries and that's the difficult part of treating it, it just pops up wherever it wants to!  So far, I've been lucky enought to have all my tumors surgically removed and I read about so many other long time survivors who have done the same!  I'm convinced, if possible, cut it out!  

Swanee

Swanee
                                    Participant

Hi Dianne,

Swanee

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics