The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Recurrance

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Recurrance

Participant

Hi I was first dxed with Melanoma stage 2 clark IV last march and had the WLE surgery in May 2012.  My lymph node that was discected was near the neck area.  In Feb 2013 the Melanoma returned.  I just had the surgery.  The Pet scan was negative, although the Melanoma showed that it was draining to another lymph node near my armpit as well as the neck (same node as before).  I still have not got the pathology reports back from the lymph nodes from this recent surgery.  My question is 1.

Hi I was first dxed with Melanoma stage 2 clark IV last march and had the WLE surgery in May 2012.  My lymph node that was discected was near the neck area.  In Feb 2013 the Melanoma returned.  I just had the surgery.  The Pet scan was negative, although the Melanoma showed that it was draining to another lymph node near my armpit as well as the neck (same node as before).  I still have not got the pathology reports back from the lymph nodes from this recent surgery.  My question is 1. is it bad to have melanoma recurrance, and 2.  is draining to a second lymph node bad as well.  God bless all that are affected by this disease and I would appreciate any feedback.  The melanoma was on my arm.

Tony

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        belloui
        Participant

Hi Tony, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.  I'm only v. new to forums and melanoma ๐Ÿ™ I was diagnosed only 7 weeks ago with a level IV melanoma but my surgeon said there was no point doing a SNB because of the position of the lesion (back/shoulder), I'm v. curious to hear how others answer your questions because what is happening to you is my fear esp because they didn't do the SNB.   Can I ask if your secondary melanoma is in the same place as the first one?  I hope your pathology reports come back with some good news.  

belloui
          Participant

Hi Tony, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.  I'm only v. new to forums and melanoma ๐Ÿ™ I was diagnosed only 7 weeks ago with a level IV melanoma but my surgeon said there was no point doing a SNB because of the position of the lesion (back/shoulder), I'm v. curious to hear how others answer your questions because what is happening to you is my fear esp because they didn't do the SNB.   Can I ask if your secondary melanoma is in the same place as the first one?  I hope your pathology reports come back with some good news.  

natasha
              Participant

Hi Belloui !

I am sorry about your recent diagnosys.

Why they refused SNB ?? If melanoma is on the back/shoulder it should not be a problem??

belloui
                Participant

I have no idea why she didn't do it really, she just told me it wasn't accurate because of the location – saying it could go to either my neck or right armpit. I understood it that it might only trace to the neck but in fact it could have spread to the armpit or visa-versa…  she told me she would have done it if the primary tumor had been on my leg or arm.  I'm v. confused about it all now that I have a little more information.  Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to digest it all, let alone read more information about it in that first week – which is when they did everything from removing the tumour to the WLE with skin graft and PET & CT Scans.  

btw I am so sorry to read your pathology results, thinking of you and your family ๐Ÿ™

belloui
                  Participant

I have no idea why she didn't do it really, she just told me it wasn't accurate because of the location – saying it could go to either my neck or right armpit. I understood it that it might only trace to the neck but in fact it could have spread to the armpit or visa-versa…  she told me she would have done it if the primary tumor had been on my leg or arm.  I'm v. confused about it all now that I have a little more information.  Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to digest it all, let alone read more information about it in that first week – which is when they did everything from removing the tumour to the WLE with skin graft and PET & CT Scans.  

btw I am so sorry to read your pathology results, thinking of you and your family ๐Ÿ™

belloui
                    Participant

natasha
                      Participant

Hi Belloui !

Why they refused SNB ?? If melanoma is on the back/shoulder it should not be a problem??

natasha
                        Participant

Hi Belloui !

belloui
                        Participant

washoegal
                          Participant

Tony,

I went back and look at your previous posts because I was having trouble making sense of this one.  I think what you meant to say was that when they put the tracer in it showed that there were two locations that melanoma could migrate to (not that Mel actually was draining to 2 places).  That situation is not uncommon.  It doesn't mean it migrated there, but hyper-vigilance is necessary if the didn't check both areas.  It does seem odd that you had Mel on your arm and they took nodes from you neck rather than from under your arm. the first time. 

I think you know the answers to you questions.  Any recurrence is not a good thing.  If it can surgical be removed early that is the best result.  Since you were at Stage 2 the Mel did actually migrate to your neck so it there has not yet been a lymph node involvement.  All the tracer does is show the surgeon the likely location. 

Does this make sense?

Mary

Stage 3

tony9511
                              Participant

Thank you Mary.  I just got confirmation that the melanoma has spread to the neck nodes(they are now positive) and that I will be having a complete neck dessection on April 12.  I will also be placed on Interferon for a year as well.  I hope this melonoma does not get to any other nodes but…..wow is it a tough disease.  Was just in panic mode because I just had surgery last tuesday Wide Excision, and the tracer showed the armpit node for the first time.   On the first surgery it was only my neck that the tracer went to.  So at least now I know the plan.  God bless you for your time and I pray for you and the many others that have this junk. 

Tony

[email protected]

tony9511
                                Participant

Thank you Mary.  I just got confirmation that the melanoma has spread to the neck nodes(they are now positive) and that I will be having a complete neck dessection on April 12.  I will also be placed on Interferon for a year as well.  I hope this melonoma does not get to any other nodes but…..wow is it a tough disease.  Was just in panic mode because I just had surgery last tuesday Wide Excision, and the tracer showed the armpit node for the first time.   On the first surgery it was only my neck that the tracer went to.  So at least now I know the plan.  God bless you for your time and I pray for you and the many others that have this junk. 

Tony

[email protected]

tony9511
                                  Participant

Tony

[email protected]

belloui
                                    Participant

so sorry to hear your pathology results tony – that sux! 

belloui
                                      Participant

belloui
                                        Participant

washoegal
                                        Participant

Tony,

I went back and look at your previous posts because I was having trouble making sense of this one.  I think what you meant to say was that when they put the tracer in it showed that there were two locations that melanoma could migrate to (not that Mel actually was draining to 2 places).  That situation is not uncommon.  It doesn't mean it migrated there, but hyper-vigilance is necessary if the didn't check both areas.  It does seem odd that you had Mel on your arm and they took nodes from you neck rather than from under your arm. the first time. 

I think you know the answers to you questions.  Any recurrence is not a good thing.  If it can surgical be removed early that is the best result.  Since you were at Stage 2 the Mel did actually migrate to your neck so it there has not yet been a lymph node involvement.  All the tracer does is show the surgeon the likely location. 

Does this make sense?

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                          Participant

Tony,

Does this make sense?

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics