The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Questions

Participant

So I was referred yesterday by my doctor since I noticed a mole on the left side of my foot, don't remember if I had it for awhile or not since it's not a area i look at all the time plus my memory isn't that great. My sister thought it's been there but Im not sure. The doctor said the color was too black which made her want me to get seen and the borders weren't sharp plus it was asymmetric. I put up the picture since I really don't know. It was measured at 2mm. I'm seeing the dermatologist on wednesday, but i'm still scared now and freaked out. I'm 26 and of asian indian descent. 

What factor does color play into a melanoma diagnosis? Is darker usually an indicator? If it is melanoma is the fact that it's super small in diameter good for potential staging if it unfortunately a cancer? I don't sunbathe either or tan, no one in my family has had melanoma from what i know. My dad does have lupus with a possibly cyst on his kidney and my mom had a stage 1 pineal gland tumor that was removed for a family background. 

Is the fact that it is relatively small 2mm mean anything or are there there situations where it is small, but penetrates deep?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ep5nuhn52…%20PM.png?dl=0

If this is inappropriate to post I do apologize I was just hoping to get some information from people who have experienced this similar situation since my PCP was not very helpful at all at answering any of these questions

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

You should not get yourself all worked up over your mole.  You ethnic background has a low possibility of Melanomas because your skin is pigmented darker.  You need to wait to get you biopsy results back. 

If you would like to look at some different pictures of skin cancers you can go to Cancer.org and look here.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer/galleries/skin-cancer-images#1

I hope the best for you.

Tom

geriakt
          Participant

You should not get yourself all worked up over your mole.  You ethnic background has a low possibility of Melanomas because your skin is pigmented darker.  You need to wait to get you biopsy results back. 

If you would like to look at some different pictures of skin cancers you can go to Cancer.org and look here.

I hope the best for you.

Tom

Christine.P
              Participant

As Tom says, try not to get too worked up while you wait for your biopsy. I did want to mention, though, that the size of the mole does not matter. I had two primary melanoma sites – one very large one on the back of my calf and a smaller brown mole with a black dot the size of a pin head on my left elbow. The large one was "in situ" meaning that even though the surgery to remove it was extensive, they got all the cancer. The small one, however, had spread to the lymph nodes (and beyond, now making me stage IV.) 

The main thing to remember is that every single person is different and just because my small mole was cancer that has spread in no way means that your necessarily will. 

Waiting is stressful and riddled with anxiety, I know, but remember to breathe, talk to those who love you, and be good to yourself.

Christine

kdhill
                Participant

Thanks for the info, I don't get why the dermatologist I met with then said the fact that it is small 2mm in diameter (it's not protruding or has any other symptoms) and that my lymph nodes in my groin weren't hard is an indication if it is a melanoma it would only be stage 1. He mainly mentioned it being so small was a very good thing

kdhill
                  Participant

Thanks for the info, I don't get why the dermatologist I met with then said the fact that it is small 2mm in diameter (it's not protruding or has any other symptoms) and that my lymph nodes in my groin weren't hard is an indication if it is a melanoma it would only be stage 1. He mainly mentioned it being so small was a very good thing

kdhill
                    Participant

Christine.P
                      Participant

I am not a doctor, of course, but my thought is that the comment about the lymph nodes had more to do with his comment about staging than the size, but I don't know. Again, they biopsy will tell you for sure and there is no way to know otherwise. Take a deep breath and try not to think about it until you have some concrete  information. I know that is much easier said than done and I wish you much peace…

Christine.P
                        Participant

I am not a doctor, of course, but my thought is that the comment about the lymph nodes had more to do with his comment about staging than the size, but I don't know. Again, they biopsy will tell you for sure and there is no way to know otherwise. Take a deep breath and try not to think about it until you have some concrete  information. I know that is much easier said than done and I wish you much peace…

Christine.P
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Because in general, most melanomas are 6mm+ in diameter.  If you look at the ABCDs for melanoma, that is what is listed.  Larger lesions have a higher probability.  It doesn't mean smaller lesions aren't melanoma, but in general, that would be a positive sign.  NO ONE can tell just by looking the exact makeup of a lesion but in general, a 2mm lesion would fall outside the "typical" melanoma indicators (whatever that means).  And no swollen lymph nodes in the groin would also be a good sign – however no guarantee of anything.

Janner
                              Participant

Because in general, most melanomas are 6mm+ in diameter.  If you look at the ABCDs for melanoma, that is what is listed.  Larger lesions have a higher probability.  It doesn't mean smaller lesions aren't melanoma, but in general, that would be a positive sign.  NO ONE can tell just by looking the exact makeup of a lesion but in general, a 2mm lesion would fall outside the "typical" melanoma indicators (whatever that means).  And no swollen lymph nodes in the groin would also be a good sign – however no guarantee of anything.

Janner
                                Participant

Christine.P
                                  Participant

As Tom says, try not to get too worked up while you wait for your biopsy. I did want to mention, though, that the size of the mole does not matter. I had two primary melanoma sites – one very large one on the back of my calf and a smaller brown mole with a black dot the size of a pin head on my left elbow. The large one was "in situ" meaning that even though the surgery to remove it was extensive, they got all the cancer. The small one, however, had spread to the lymph nodes (and beyond, now making me stage IV.) 

The main thing to remember is that every single person is different and just because my small mole was cancer that has spread in no way means that your necessarily will. 

Waiting is stressful and riddled with anxiety, I know, but remember to breathe, talk to those who love you, and be good to yourself.

Christine

Christine.P
                                    Participant

Christine

geriakt
                                    Participant

I hope the best for you.

Tom

stars
                                      Participant

Hi

You have every right to ask and be concerned, but don't go over the top because basically right now you are the 'worried well'.

It might sound a bit harsh… but as a person who has had melanoma, my 100% advice to you is DON'T WORRY until you are sure you have melanoma. No-one – no doctor, anywhere, or anyone else in the world, can tell from a photo. Only a biopsy will give you certainty.

There's been a few threads – gosh, this sounds really nasty, but I'm just going to say it – where someone has been frantically posting about their fears only to post a few days later 'oh it was nothing, bye!'. IMO, for people with melanoma, that kind of visitor adds nothing whatsoever to the support network.  They don't take anything, either, mind you, but I don't think that's what these forums are for. That sounds very mean-spirited of me, it's just my interpretation so please don't be offended.

For now, you are doing exactly the right thing getting it checked out, no-one can tell you with 100% certainty until you get a biopsy, and until then please consider yourself not to have melanoma until proven otherwise. Hopefully your biopsy proves this to be the case, too.

Stars

stars
                                        Participant

Hi

You have every right to ask and be concerned, but don't go over the top because basically right now you are the 'worried well'.

It might sound a bit harsh… but as a person who has had melanoma, my 100% advice to you is DON'T WORRY until you are sure you have melanoma. No-one – no doctor, anywhere, or anyone else in the world, can tell from a photo. Only a biopsy will give you certainty.

There's been a few threads – gosh, this sounds really nasty, but I'm just going to say it – where someone has been frantically posting about their fears only to post a few days later 'oh it was nothing, bye!'. IMO, for people with melanoma, that kind of visitor adds nothing whatsoever to the support network.  They don't take anything, either, mind you, but I don't think that's what these forums are for. That sounds very mean-spirited of me, it's just my interpretation so please don't be offended.

For now, you are doing exactly the right thing getting it checked out, no-one can tell you with 100% certainty until you get a biopsy, and until then please consider yourself not to have melanoma until proven otherwise. Hopefully your biopsy proves this to be the case, too.

Stars

kdhill
                                            Participant

Well I'm sorry if you think I'm one of those people, I was just hoping to get some questions answered that I posted so I could be educated on the matter, not a diagnosis since my PCP didn't answer any of my questions she just brushed me off and basically said you'll find out when you find out I have other patients. Just hard not to worry when someone tells you it looks cancerous to them aka the PCP.

I will not post again unless i do get diagnosed positively since I don't want to devalue this support network

Janner
                                              Participant

Just a FYI, PCPs don't have the best reputation for diagnosing melanoma.  In one study, 73% of PCPs did not identify melanoma correctly.  No one can tell by looking, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain.

Janner
                                                Participant

Just a FYI, PCPs don't have the best reputation for diagnosing melanoma.  In one study, 73% of PCPs did not identify melanoma correctly.  No one can tell by looking, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain.

Janner
                                                  Participant

chaseo
                                                    Participant

i thank you TREMENDOUSLY for this post. <3

chaseo
                                                      Participant

chaseo
                                                        Participant

kdhill
                                                          Participant

Well just to update i went in today to Keck Medical at USC in the dermatology dept. the Doctor did a full body check of all my moles with the dermascope. She said all the moles under her dermascope were all small, regular borders, symmetrical and a Globular pattern, all of these moles had the same pattern, which she indicated are signs of a birth mole. So she was confident they were congenital moles so she just had me take pictures of my 8 total moles and told me to check them every 2-3 weeks and if anything changes to make an immediate appt if anything changes. She also scheduled a 2 month check up just in case. All moles were also less than 2 mm. So nothing according to her looked suspicious but scheduled a follow up just in case for me. 

kdhill
                                                            Participant

Well just to update i went in today to Keck Medical at USC in the dermatology dept. the Doctor did a full body check of all my moles with the dermascope. She said all the moles under her dermascope were all small, regular borders, symmetrical and a Globular pattern, all of these moles had the same pattern, which she indicated are signs of a birth mole. So she was confident they were congenital moles so she just had me take pictures of my 8 total moles and told me to check them every 2-3 weeks and if anything changes to make an immediate appt if anything changes. She also scheduled a 2 month check up just in case. All moles were also less than 2 mm. So nothing according to her looked suspicious but scheduled a follow up just in case for me. 

kdhill
                                                              Participant

kdhill
                                                                Participant

Just to clarify she only made it 2 month check up at my request otherwise i think it would be just be one check up per year 

kdhill
                                                                  Participant

Just to clarify she only made it 2 month check up at my request otherwise i think it would be just be one check up per year 

kdhill
                                                                    Participant

stars
                                                                      Participant

No, please don't be offended, I guess my point is please don't worry yourself unnecessarily and 'self diagnose'. IMO the PCP is an idiot for saying something looks cancerous – I have heard from my dr time and time again that melanoma is really, REALLY hard to spot and taking a spot off on suspicion does not mean that is melanoma. She did the wrong thing making you worry unnecessarily. Don't worry about posting, my main message is to not worry yourself too much about something that may never happen.

kdhill
                                                                        Participant

No worries and the main reason I was worried is because my best friends grandfather did die from melanoma so I've seen how devastating it can be and how much he suffered at the end.

Stars or anyone else, do you know how accurate/helpful the dermascope is? She mentioned every mole i had looked normal and had globular patterns which indicated congenital nevus, so would that reassure most of you of her diagnosis to just keep an eye on it for change in the future as my derm indicated? She did spend time on the mole carefully more than the others, maybe to just confirm.

Janner
                                                                          Participant

The dermatoscope is just a lighted magnifying glass, nothing more.  It's a tool that lets the doc see something in good detail with good light but it doesn't diagnose.  It's actually good that your moles look similar to each other because you are really looking for CHANGE and the ugly duckling.  If they all look alike, they are fine.  Use your pictures to monitor for change — that's what the rest of us do.  Yearly visits is realistic when you haven't had a melanoma diagnosis.  Just do the monthly skin checks looking for change and you're doing the same routine that most of us are doing.

Janner
                                                                            Participant

The dermatoscope is just a lighted magnifying glass, nothing more.  It's a tool that lets the doc see something in good detail with good light but it doesn't diagnose.  It's actually good that your moles look similar to each other because you are really looking for CHANGE and the ugly duckling.  If they all look alike, they are fine.  Use your pictures to monitor for change — that's what the rest of us do.  Yearly visits is realistic when you haven't had a melanoma diagnosis.  Just do the monthly skin checks looking for change and you're doing the same routine that most of us are doing.

Janner
                                                                              Participant

kdhill
                                                                                Participant

No worries and the main reason I was worried is because my best friends grandfather did die from melanoma so I've seen how devastating it can be and how much he suffered at the end.

Stars or anyone else, do you know how accurate/helpful the dermascope is? She mentioned every mole i had looked normal and had globular patterns which indicated congenital nevus, so would that reassure most of you of her diagnosis to just keep an eye on it for change in the future as my derm indicated? She did spend time on the mole carefully more than the others, maybe to just confirm.

kdhill
                                                                                  Participant

stars
                                                                                    Participant

No, please don't be offended, I guess my point is please don't worry yourself unnecessarily and 'self diagnose'. IMO the PCP is an idiot for saying something looks cancerous – I have heard from my dr time and time again that melanoma is really, REALLY hard to spot and taking a spot off on suspicion does not mean that is melanoma. She did the wrong thing making you worry unnecessarily. Don't worry about posting, my main message is to not worry yourself too much about something that may never happen.

stars
                                                                                      Participant

kdhill
                                                                                        Participant

Well I'm sorry if you think I'm one of those people, I was just hoping to get some questions answered that I posted so I could be educated on the matter, not a diagnosis since my PCP didn't answer any of my questions she just brushed me off and basically said you'll find out when you find out I have other patients. Just hard not to worry when someone tells you it looks cancerous to them aka the PCP.

I will not post again unless i do get diagnosed positively since I don't want to devalue this support network

kdhill
                                                                                          Participant

stars
                                                                                          Participant

Hi

Stars

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics