The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Prevention?

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Prevention?

Participant

Hi,

My daughter is 2.5 years old, with flaming red hair, bright blue eyes, and porcelain white skin.  Her dad, my husband, is a 10 year stage iiia melanoma survivor, diagnosed at age 26.  Both her dad and I have tons of moles, and I am freckled from head to toe.  Obviously, she has many risk factors for melanoma, and I am at a loss as to the right way to minimize her risk.  I've already started annual visits to the dermatologist, and she does already have a few moles.

Hi,

My daughter is 2.5 years old, with flaming red hair, bright blue eyes, and porcelain white skin.  Her dad, my husband, is a 10 year stage iiia melanoma survivor, diagnosed at age 26.  Both her dad and I have tons of moles, and I am freckled from head to toe.  Obviously, she has many risk factors for melanoma, and I am at a loss as to the right way to minimize her risk.  I've already started annual visits to the dermatologist, and she does already have a few moles.

Do I slather her with sunscreen every time we go outside?  Or will that create a vitamin D deficiency that will ultimately weaken her system?

Do I keep her out of the sun between 10 and 2 in the summer months (this is what I have been doing)?  Or do I follow the research article posted on here recently that said that those peak hours are the best time to be out?

The oncological nurse at my husband's oncology office says the research about needing un-blocked exposure to UV for vitamin D is dangerous hogwash.  I can't believe that, since there seems to be a direct correlation to rising melanoma rates and more "weekend warriors" who spend all their workweek hours indoors and then live it up unprotected on vacations.  

I feel at a loss as to what to believe in the literature and how to best minimize my daughter's risk.  Take this exact moment.  It's a beautiful sunny day at 9am in eastern Pennsylvania.  I plan to take her out to play with no sunscreen, since it's still winter, it's early in the day, and she'll be covered with a jacket and a winter hat.  Her face will be uncovered.  Is that wise?

Wendy

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Webbie73
        Participant
          SUNSCREEN at all times even in the winter months. I only wish they had sunscreen when I was young it might have help prevent my melanoma. There are other ways to get vitamin D such as diet and supplements.
          Webbie73
          Participant
            SUNSCREEN at all times even in the winter months. I only wish they had sunscreen when I was young it might have help prevent my melanoma. There are other ways to get vitamin D such as diet and supplements.
            Webbie73
            Participant
              samcanada
              Participant

Hi Wendy,

Totally understand how you feel about your daughter and the sun. My husband was diagnosed in September after having a mole removed in August and is stage 3A like your husband. We are just starting our journey with our second scans coming up soon,and I am terrifed already for the results.

We have 2 boys and I have already sent our oldest to the dr (he is19) to have a large mole looked at on his back, and I am constantly scanning our youngest (11) for changes on his many moles.

I make sure they have sunscreen all the time now and are wearing hats. Fortunately my youngest has never had a sunburn and I am determined to keep it that way. My oldest has had burns to the top of his ears when he was younger so that has me worried. 

For your peace of mind I think you should put sunscreen on your daughter because the worry that an accidental sunburn would bring is an added burden no one needs.

Congratulations on 10 years NED! 

samcanada
                Participant

Hi Wendy,

Totally understand how you feel about your daughter and the sun. My husband was diagnosed in September after having a mole removed in August and is stage 3A like your husband. We are just starting our journey with our second scans coming up soon,and I am terrifed already for the results.

We have 2 boys and I have already sent our oldest to the dr (he is19) to have a large mole looked at on his back, and I am constantly scanning our youngest (11) for changes on his many moles.

I make sure they have sunscreen all the time now and are wearing hats. Fortunately my youngest has never had a sunburn and I am determined to keep it that way. My oldest has had burns to the top of his ears when he was younger so that has me worried. 

For your peace of mind I think you should put sunscreen on your daughter because the worry that an accidental sunburn would bring is an added burden no one needs.

samcanada
                  Participant

Hi Wendy,

NancyGM
                    Participant

Though I don't have answers to a lot of the very good questions you raise, I , too was a porcelain skinned redheaded child. My mother tried to keep me out of the sun, and now, I wish I hadn't rebelled!

I think the best way to get a child to incorporate sun safety practices into their lives is to make sun safety fun somehow. If she is a "girly-girl" who loves shoes, get her a variety of hats and sunglasses to chose from. Use the stick sunscreens for her face since they are a quicker, easier way to get sunscreen on a child's face. Also, check out the summer time sun protective clothes and as she gets older, she can help pick them out online and look forward to getting a package in the mail. Hopefully, by the time she is a teen, tans will be uncool. Best of luck to your family.

NancyGM
                      Participant

Though I don't have answers to a lot of the very good questions you raise, I , too was a porcelain skinned redheaded child. My mother tried to keep me out of the sun, and now, I wish I hadn't rebelled!

I think the best way to get a child to incorporate sun safety practices into their lives is to make sun safety fun somehow. If she is a "girly-girl" who loves shoes, get her a variety of hats and sunglasses to chose from. Use the stick sunscreens for her face since they are a quicker, easier way to get sunscreen on a child's face. Also, check out the summer time sun protective clothes and as she gets older, she can help pick them out online and look forward to getting a package in the mail. Hopefully, by the time she is a teen, tans will be uncool. Best of luck to your family.

NancyGM
                        Participant

ElaineLinn
                          Participant

Hi Wendy

I am at stage IV with the cancer moving to my lungs. I have always been a sun worshiper and so were my 3 daughter. We all layed in the tanning bed and all that BAD stuff . Now I am scared to death because of what I have done to myself and my girls. We no longer tan, and use a broad spectrim sun screen. But is the damage already done? I am sure praying not, My cancer dr. tells me to use broad spectrim sun screen and no sun between 10 and 2, and this is what we will be doing for all of us and the grandkids.

ElaineLinn
                            Participant

Hi Wendy

I am at stage IV with the cancer moving to my lungs. I have always been a sun worshiper and so were my 3 daughter. We all layed in the tanning bed and all that BAD stuff . Now I am scared to death because of what I have done to myself and my girls. We no longer tan, and use a broad spectrim sun screen. But is the damage already done? I am sure praying not, My cancer dr. tells me to use broad spectrim sun screen and no sun between 10 and 2, and this is what we will be doing for all of us and the grandkids.

ElaineLinn
                              Participant

Hi Wendy

Gene_S
                                Participant

Hi Wendy,

You might want to read the post on the board that just appeared "spring approaches"  posted by boot2boot.

It will tell you a little about sunscreens in an article she just came across.  Hmmmm  we have said this before.

I do want to say my husband had his first melanoma under a thick head of hair.  He worked most of his life on midnight and afternoon turn and was deficient on Vitamin D.  Which we believe was a major cause for his melanoma.  He was almost never out in the good sun of 10 – 2 of which you only need about 10 – 15 minutes worth each day to keep your Vitamin D in check.  Now in that short of time you will not get a burn.

Sunscreens contain chemicals and thus in our opinion could be the cause of cancers especially skin cancers as your skin is the largest organ on your body.  His motto is never put anything on your skin you wouldn't put into your mouth.  Which I know we will receive a lot of flack about on here as more on this site lather on harsh chemicals known as sunscreen.  We get to many chemicals in everyday life such as city water – chlorine and floride, toothpaste – floride, food we eat – insecticides and the list goes on.

As for today and at 9 AM I don't think it would hurt to have your daughter out and playing since like you said it is winter and the suns rays are not all that strong in PA.  I would be smart about the time out in the sun but since most of the body is covered already I think it would be good for her and the exercise outside and the fresh air is great also.

Just my point of view.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hi Wendy,

You might want to read the post on the board that just appeared "spring approaches"  posted by boot2boot.

It will tell you a little about sunscreens in an article she just came across.  Hmmmm  we have said this before.

I do want to say my husband had his first melanoma under a thick head of hair.  He worked most of his life on midnight and afternoon turn and was deficient on Vitamin D.  Which we believe was a major cause for his melanoma.  He was almost never out in the good sun of 10 – 2 of which you only need about 10 – 15 minutes worth each day to keep your Vitamin D in check.  Now in that short of time you will not get a burn.

Sunscreens contain chemicals and thus in our opinion could be the cause of cancers especially skin cancers as your skin is the largest organ on your body.  His motto is never put anything on your skin you wouldn't put into your mouth.  Which I know we will receive a lot of flack about on here as more on this site lather on harsh chemicals known as sunscreen.  We get to many chemicals in everyday life such as city water – chlorine and floride, toothpaste – floride, food we eat – insecticides and the list goes on.

As for today and at 9 AM I don't think it would hurt to have your daughter out and playing since like you said it is winter and the suns rays are not all that strong in PA.  I would be smart about the time out in the sun but since most of the body is covered already I think it would be good for her and the exercise outside and the fresh air is great also.

Just my point of view.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hi Wendy,

Just my point of view.

o2bcheri
                                      Participant

just remember that the sun gives us vitamin D… we need that.. it is very important.. sunscreen blocks the vitamin d.

so… be sure to dose her with the D vitamin…

xx

o2bcheri
                                        Participant

just remember that the sun gives us vitamin D… we need that.. it is very important.. sunscreen blocks the vitamin d.

xx

o2bcheri
                                          Participant

xx

Minnesota
                                            Participant

I'm really worried about my kids too. Right now I'm checking into UPF rated clothing and a detergent called SunGuard, which lasts 20 washings on regular clothing.

I check the ingredients on every product that we use on skin/hair at ewg.org/skindeep, which was recommended to me by the university I was going to for autoimmune skin problems (prior to my melanoma diagnosis). Many popular sunscreens have some dangerous unnecessary chemicals in them.

Minnesota
                                              Participant

I'm really worried about my kids too. Right now I'm checking into UPF rated clothing and a detergent called SunGuard, which lasts 20 washings on regular clothing.

I check the ingredients on every product that we use on skin/hair at ewg.org/skindeep, which was recommended to me by the university I was going to for autoimmune skin problems (prior to my melanoma diagnosis). Many popular sunscreens have some dangerous unnecessary chemicals in them.

Jydnew
                                                  Participant

We wash all our summer clothes in RIT.  My husband has some Solumbra shirts – I should buy some for our daughter.  I'm checking out that EWG site now too.  Every year, I forget about it again… I was just reading boots post about retinol-A – had no idea about that connection!  It seems like there are a million things to look out for… I did mostly mineral stuff last year, but then read about the potential dangers of nanotechnology…

Jydnew
                                                    Participant

We wash all our summer clothes in RIT.  My husband has some Solumbra shirts – I should buy some for our daughter.  I'm checking out that EWG site now too.  Every year, I forget about it again… I was just reading boots post about retinol-A – had no idea about that connection!  It seems like there are a million things to look out for… I did mostly mineral stuff last year, but then read about the potential dangers of nanotechnology…

Jydnew
                                                      Participant

Minnesota
                                                      Participant

AngelaM
                                                        Participant
                                                          My doctors told me to stay out of the sun completely and to keep my toddler out of the sun too and teach him sunwise behaviour from the start. They also told me that it is generally accepted that short bursts of intermittent sun exposure and sun burns can cause melanoma in certain individuals. It is apparently considered that people that have some sun exposure throughout the year build up melanin i.e a tan, and this is the best protection against UVA, which is deep penetrating and is thought to cause melanoma.

I believe (and this is only my opinion) that babies have delicate skins that burn easily and should be protected from the sun during the peak radiation hours and never allowed to burn. I allow my son into the sun for very short periods only during the safer times and try not to burden him with the harsh chemicals in sunblock unless a burn is unavoidable otherwise. He must still live his life, just being sunwise.

For myself, I don’t particularly care about a vit D deficiency. I’ll take my chances with supplements rather than secure an untimely fate with melanoma. There are ways around a vit D deficiency but melanoma is different kettle of fish.

AngelaM
                                                          Participant
                                                            My doctors told me to stay out of the sun completely and to keep my toddler out of the sun too and teach him sunwise behaviour from the start. They also told me that it is generally accepted that short bursts of intermittent sun exposure and sun burns can cause melanoma in certain individuals. It is apparently considered that people that have some sun exposure throughout the year build up melanin i.e a tan, and this is the best protection against UVA, which is deep penetrating and is thought to cause melanoma.

I believe (and this is only my opinion) that babies have delicate skins that burn easily and should be protected from the sun during the peak radiation hours and never allowed to burn. I allow my son into the sun for very short periods only during the safer times and try not to burden him with the harsh chemicals in sunblock unless a burn is unavoidable otherwise. He must still live his life, just being sunwise.

For myself, I don’t particularly care about a vit D deficiency. I’ll take my chances with supplements rather than secure an untimely fate with melanoma. There are ways around a vit D deficiency but melanoma is different kettle of fish.

Jydnew
                                                              Participant

My concern about the vitamin D deficiency is all that I've read recently about it being a cause of melanoma.  I don't know how supplements measure up to sun exposure for getting vitamin D.

We pretty much have been doing what you are doing – keeping our daughter (and ourselves) out of the peak sun completely, using barriers like long-sleeves, umbrellas, hats during other times of day, and not concerning ourselves with the quick bursts of exposure, like walking to the car.  We use sunscreen, but like you said, only when necessary.

Thanks for your input!

Jydnew
                                                                Participant

My concern about the vitamin D deficiency is all that I've read recently about it being a cause of melanoma.  I don't know how supplements measure up to sun exposure for getting vitamin D.

We pretty much have been doing what you are doing – keeping our daughter (and ourselves) out of the peak sun completely, using barriers like long-sleeves, umbrellas, hats during other times of day, and not concerning ourselves with the quick bursts of exposure, like walking to the car.  We use sunscreen, but like you said, only when necessary.

Thanks for your input!

Jydnew
                                                                  Participant

Thanks for your input!

AngelaM
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics