The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma on the Hip?

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma on the Hip?

Participant

I've had metastases to the lung and brain so far. All have been treated or removed.   Just had a PET scan done yesterday and won't see my oncologist for my results till next Wednesday, but an "inside source" who got a look at my scan report says that there is a suspicious marble-size tumor on my left hip accompaied by bursitis.  Anyone know anything about mets to the hip?  I don't even know if they are talking about the hip bone right now. I'm so bad with anatomy that I am not sure whether when someone tells you that somethin

I've had metastases to the lung and brain so far. All have been treated or removed.   Just had a PET scan done yesterday and won't see my oncologist for my results till next Wednesday, but an "inside source" who got a look at my scan report says that there is a suspicious marble-size tumor on my left hip accompaied by bursitis.  Anyone know anything about mets to the hip?  I don't even know if they are talking about the hip bone right now. I'm so bad with anatomy that I am not sure whether when someone tells you that something is on the hip that means the hip BONE or not? 

Not happy, of course, with the presumed news. I've been on ipi since October 30 with fourth infusion over three weeks ago.  No other body mets supposedly when I went on ipi and the brain mets were zapped 7 weeks in.   Am happy there was nothing suspicious besides this showing up in my first PET in 3 1/2 months.  I have had left leg pain for a few months, before the last PET scan in October, that I was receiving physical therapy for and baffled two therapists.  But why no sign of this tumor before the last PET scan? Anyway, I won't jump to conclusions but am interested since I know what I know in learning more.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

PET scans just show areas of increased metabolic activity. Rapidly growing cancer cells metabolize a lot of glucose and show up on PET scans. But any type of increased activity can light up a PET scan. If you have arthritis or bursitis in the hip, that may well be causing an inflammatory reaction in the affected area which would show up on a PET. With no other mets and a good response to ipi, I suspect it's plain, ordinary arthritis or bursitis. 

POW
          Participant

PET scans just show areas of increased metabolic activity. Rapidly growing cancer cells metabolize a lot of glucose and show up on PET scans. But any type of increased activity can light up a PET scan. If you have arthritis or bursitis in the hip, that may well be causing an inflammatory reaction in the affected area which would show up on a PET. With no other mets and a good response to ipi, I suspect it's plain, ordinary arthritis or bursitis. 

POW
            Participant

awillett1991
              Participant
                My PETs are notoriously wrong, but did find a small met in my pelvis – rt side, which was confirmed via MRI. I had the area resected, put in plates, screws, bone cement then did radiation. No trouble in this area since.

Don’t drive yourself nuts without all the information. I’m sure the PET will reference a hip socket, pelvic bonevarea, or leg bone and have the doc explain what you don’t understand.

I’ve also had scans where they’ve said “now looking back at the prior scan this area can be seen but was very small” ya da ya da. All very subjective. This is what CT and MRI is for.

awillett1991
                Participant
                  My PETs are notoriously wrong, but did find a small met in my pelvis – rt side, which was confirmed via MRI. I had the area resected, put in plates, screws, bone cement then did radiation. No trouble in this area since.

Don’t drive yourself nuts without all the information. I’m sure the PET will reference a hip socket, pelvic bonevarea, or leg bone and have the doc explain what you don’t understand.

I’ve also had scans where they’ve said “now looking back at the prior scan this area can be seen but was very small” ya da ya da. All very subjective. This is what CT and MRI is for.

awillett1991
                  Participant

buffcody
                    Participant

I saw my oncologist on Wednesday.  The met is not on the hip but the left buttock, subcentimeter right next to or on the gluteus maximus.  No other progression.  The brain tumors are: stable (one) , smaller (two) after SRS.  Decision, having just completed ipi infusions ending four weeks ago, is to watch and wait until further scans in 8 weeks.  I'm in NYC this weekend to get a second opinion with Dr. Chapman at Sloan on Monday.  I signed up with him back in October and feel is is worth the trip to get more expertise than I have at the University of Michigan.  I'm happy to have passed eight months from diagnosis with relative tranquility, though the itching from the ipi is worse now than it's been.

buffcody
                      Participant

I saw my oncologist on Wednesday.  The met is not on the hip but the left buttock, subcentimeter right next to or on the gluteus maximus.  No other progression.  The brain tumors are: stable (one) , smaller (two) after SRS.  Decision, having just completed ipi infusions ending four weeks ago, is to watch and wait until further scans in 8 weeks.  I'm in NYC this weekend to get a second opinion with Dr. Chapman at Sloan on Monday.  I signed up with him back in October and feel is is worth the trip to get more expertise than I have at the University of Michigan.  I'm happy to have passed eight months from diagnosis with relative tranquility, though the itching from the ipi is worse now than it's been.

buffcody
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics