The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma on skull

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma on skull

Participant

Can Melanoma that spread to the skull spread to the brain?   It has not happened yet…thank God… Had a brain MRI… Last Friday… Results negative (Soo happy).. Dr. said chances are slim of it spreading to brain???Hoping that is true,but not believing it.

On a side note, dr described my husband's response to ipi as "mixed"…. He had considerable shrinkage in his chest and tumor on lung…. But PET and Bone scan show three new tumors…. So we are thrilled about the shrinkage, but again worried…. They are trying to get the insurance to approve another round of ipi…the battle of this beast continues..

Any input you have would be appreciated!

Thanks and God Bless you all

Nancy 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hello Nancy,

My husband first lesion was on the skull as well as the second, third and fifth and he never had any brain mets but became stage IV with lesions in the lungs and liver.

His first surgery was in January 2008.  You can read more in his profile if you desire.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED since Oct. 2012)

scmccann
            Participant

Dear Judy, My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma in 2012. I would love to hear how your husband got to be NED.

Sandra (loving wife of Jim)

Gene_S
            Participant

Hello Nancy,

My husband first lesion was on the skull as well as the second, third and fifth and he never had any brain mets but became stage IV with lesions in the lungs and liver.

His first surgery was in January 2008.  You can read more in his profile if you desire.

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello Nancy,

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Haven't seen any statistics on this question, but would not expect it be be higher than the 40-50% chance that at the stage Iv level it can go to the brain for any of us.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Haven't seen any statistics on this question, but would not expect it be be higher than the 40-50% chance that at the stage Iv level it can go to the brain for any of us.

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

I assume by skull you mean the skull bones. Based on a PET in October mine spread to the back skull bone and later on a PET in early February to the top left and right skull bone areas.

The Dr was suprised the MRI in mid February showed no brain mets yet. Actually I believe he's still suprised all mine are still in lots of bones but nowhere else yet.

So yes mel can go anywhere but at least you are getting some response from ipi so that is great.

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

I assume by skull you mean the skull bones. Based on a PET in October mine spread to the back skull bone and later on a PET in early February to the top left and right skull bone areas.

The Dr was suprised the MRI in mid February showed no brain mets yet. Actually I believe he's still suprised all mine are still in lots of bones but nowhere else yet.

So yes mel can go anywhere but at least you are getting some response from ipi so that is great.

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

nancyg
                            Participant

Thanks everyone for your responses

nancyg
                              Participant

nancyg
                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics