The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma excised from central chest, Breslow thickness 2.9 mm, pT3b

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma excised from central chest, Breslow thickness 2.9 mm, pT3b

Participant
      I received the above diagnosis recently and have an appointment to see a Plastic Surgeon this Thursday. Can anyone explain to me what to expect and what pT means? I understand that 3b is the stage? Also, how long I will probably have to wait for the next procedure, which I believe will be a wle, and Lymph Node Assessment. I am getting concerned because I have read that the melanoma can spread quickly, and I have already waited a month for the upcoming appointment. I live in Hampshire, UK.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Fern,

Sorry you are facing this diagnosis. PT – simply stand for “primary tumor”. In fact, in this instance as you have not yet had a sentinel node biopsy, “pt3b” simply means – a “Primary tumor of 2-4 mm with ulceration”. You can look on your pathology report to see if ulceration is mentioned. Generally, a melanoma patient is not STAGE 3 until it has been determined that there are traces or outright melanoma cells in reginal nodes. Still, you are correct that your next steps will be a wide local excision to ensure clear margins around the tumor and sentinel node biopsy to determine if there has been spread to nodes. Yes, melanoma can spread quickly compared to other cancers, but I imagine that if you are getting this done within a couple months you are okay.

Here is a link to a site that does a really good job breaking down staging in melanoma: AIM at melanoma – stages of melanoma

Hope this helps. Ask more questions as you have the need. There are many smart caring peeps on this board. Hopefully there will be no further spread, but there are now effective treatments for melanoma should you have the need!!! Hang in there. celeste

Fernackapan
            Participant
              Hi Bubbles,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply and the information you have provided has clarified things in my mind which is very helpful indeed.

Kind regards.

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics