The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and Sun.

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and Sun.

Participant

HI

My husband is stage 3A since July 2012. He is with interferon pegylado treatment since October 2012. Since his diagnosis that we have no holiday. My husband is terrified of being under the sun, so is very difficult to go out somewhere. I do not know how to solve this issue. My husband used sunscreen but the sunscreen does not give the peace. He is now 40 years old.

Appreciate any advice

Regards

Gaby

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Gaby,

This is such a hard one.  I too am stage 3a but I have been able to go on living a relatively normal life.  Janner can probably give you the stats on how rare a reoccurrence is.  And whether or not the sun effects the chances of a metastasis, I would sincerely doubt it.

But all the facts in the world isn't going the help your husband.  He's had the scare of his life.  He needs to sit down and have a heart to heart with is oncologist about lifestyle.  This is hard to do sometime because the are so busy they tend often to be in and out.  Sometimes you have to force the issue.  If that doesn't convince him then he really needs to see a psychologist (good luck with that one!). 

I have traveled to Egypt, Africa,and Turkey since my dx.  I always wear SPF 55 and a fairly large hat.  Yes, even with SPF 55 I still tan but I don't worry about it.

Good Luck to the both of you.

Mary 

gaby
            Participant

Thanks Mary!

It is a very difficult subject. The oncologist does not talk about it and my husband does not ask questions about the lifestyle. Maybe I should suggest that you talk to your dermatologist, or maybe I have to ask my dermatologist …

My husband thinks that if he is under the sun will die … Even my husband enjoyed much of the sea and now will not go to the beach anymore …

I am happy to read that you are NED 4 years, with stage 3A like my husband

thanks for your words.

regards

Gaby

gaby
              Participant

Thanks Mary!

It is a very difficult subject. The oncologist does not talk about it and my husband does not ask questions about the lifestyle. Maybe I should suggest that you talk to your dermatologist, or maybe I have to ask my dermatologist …

My husband thinks that if he is under the sun will die … Even my husband enjoyed much of the sea and now will not go to the beach anymore …

thanks for your words.

regards

Gaby

gaby
                Participant

Thanks Mary!

thanks for your words.

regards

Gaby

washoegal
                Participant

Gaby,

This is such a hard one.  I too am stage 3a but I have been able to go on living a relatively normal life.  Janner can probably give you the stats on how rare a reoccurrence is.  And whether or not the sun effects the chances of a metastasis, I would sincerely doubt it.

But all the facts in the world isn't going the help your husband.  He's had the scare of his life.  He needs to sit down and have a heart to heart with is oncologist about lifestyle.  This is hard to do sometime because the are so busy they tend often to be in and out.  Sometimes you have to force the issue.  If that doesn't convince him then he really needs to see a psychologist (good luck with that one!). 

I have traveled to Egypt, Africa,and Turkey since my dx.  I always wear SPF 55 and a fairly large hat.  Yes, even with SPF 55 I still tan but I don't worry about it.

Mary 

washoegal
                  Participant

Gaby,

Mary 

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hello Gaby,

My husband got melanoma after working mostly midnight and afternoon shifts.  He feels his was not caused from the sun and to add to that fact he got it on the back of his head and he has long, thick and dark hair.  He was also Stage IIIa and progressed to Stage IV in 2 and 1/2 years.  He has been stage IV since Oct.  2010 and was on a clinical trial and is now NED since Oct. 2012.

Also low Vitamin D3 is not good for you as it will also make you more susceptible to more diseases.  He tries to get 15 minutes a day of direct sunlight for the Vitamin D.  Not enough to burn you but enough to help your body get the natural vitamin D.

I hope this helps a little. Vitamin D defiency is a concern to Colon Cancer and Breast Cancer.  My husbands Vitamin D is tested all the time and his has been in the 90's for years.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hello Gaby,

My husband got melanoma after working mostly midnight and afternoon shifts.  He feels his was not caused from the sun and to add to that fact he got it on the back of his head and he has long, thick and dark hair.  He was also Stage IIIa and progressed to Stage IV in 2 and 1/2 years.  He has been stage IV since Oct.  2010 and was on a clinical trial and is now NED since Oct. 2012.

Also low Vitamin D3 is not good for you as it will also make you more susceptible to more diseases.  He tries to get 15 minutes a day of direct sunlight for the Vitamin D.  Not enough to burn you but enough to help your body get the natural vitamin D.

I hope this helps a little. Vitamin D defiency is a concern to Colon Cancer and Breast Cancer.  My husbands Vitamin D is tested all the time and his has been in the 90's for years.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Hello Gaby,

gaby
                            Participant
                              Thanks Judy. 
                              My husband had melanoma in a mole ankle having since childhood, but my husband has very fair skin and have many moles. Coincidentally, a few months before the diagnosis had a sunburn on his feet, but we do not know if that was the cause .. I think there is a genetic predisposition. 

It scares me to know that her husband was stage 3A and after 2 1/2 years and was stage 4 … My husband is doing interferonpegylado since October 2012, but we know that is not a guarantee .. 

Strange, the oncologist never had him tested for vitamin D.. 

regards 
                              Gaby
                              gaby
                              Participant
                                Thanks Judy. 
                                My husband had melanoma in a mole ankle having since childhood, but my husband has very fair skin and have many moles. Coincidentally, a few months before the diagnosis had a sunburn on his feet, but we do not know if that was the cause .. I think there is a genetic predisposition. 

It scares me to know that her husband was stage 3A and after 2 1/2 years and was stage 4 … My husband is doing interferonpegylado since October 2012, but we know that is not a guarantee .. 

regards 
                                Gaby
                                gaby
                                Participant
                                  Thanks Judy. 

regards 
                                  Gaby
                                ed williams
                                Participant

Wow, first time that I have heard someone talk about this issue since I started following the forum. I have been stage 4 now for the last year. When I was stage 3 about two years (2011-2013) going in the sun was no big issue, with my wife always reminding me to wear a hat and put on sun screen. Since last July when they found mets in my lung, the sun has become a big issue. I love to ride my mountain bike 4 or 5 times a week and other than that I avoid the sun. Even when riding my bike I choose a bike path that is through a wooded area that provides sun cover for most of the ride. I also wear clothing that covers my arms and legs, even when it is hot out. I hope that this is of some help to you.  Avoiding the sun which has caused so much damage to my health is the price I have to pay for not being sun smart over the years. Ed

ed williams
                                  Participant

Wow, first time that I have heard someone talk about this issue since I started following the forum. I have been stage 4 now for the last year. When I was stage 3 about two years (2011-2013) going in the sun was no big issue, with my wife always reminding me to wear a hat and put on sun screen. Since last July when they found mets in my lung, the sun has become a big issue. I love to ride my mountain bike 4 or 5 times a week and other than that I avoid the sun. Even when riding my bike I choose a bike path that is through a wooded area that provides sun cover for most of the ride. I also wear clothing that covers my arms and legs, even when it is hot out. I hope that this is of some help to you.  Avoiding the sun which has caused so much damage to my health is the price I have to pay for not being sun smart over the years. Ed

gaby
                                      Participant

Hi ED, you are right, this is a subject that is rarely discussed, but is an important issue and I believe that melanoma has a genetic basis but the sun is also guilty in some cases.

My husband was not tan, but in his childhood had some sunburn, perhaps, that helped get sick of the adult.

I understand your situation, He need to make some changes in lifestyle but try to live a "normal" life is difficult.

Now I'm worried because many people quickly passed stage 3 in 2 or 3 years at stage 4 …. that's scary …

Thanks for your tips.

luck!

gaby

gaby
                                        Participant

Hi ED, you are right, this is a subject that is rarely discussed, but is an important issue and I believe that melanoma has a genetic basis but the sun is also guilty in some cases.

My husband was not tan, but in his childhood had some sunburn, perhaps, that helped get sick of the adult.

I understand your situation, He need to make some changes in lifestyle but try to live a "normal" life is difficult.

Now I'm worried because many people quickly passed stage 3 in 2 or 3 years at stage 4 …. that's scary …

Thanks for your tips.

luck!

gaby

gaby
                                          Participant

Thanks for your tips.

luck!

gaby

ed williams
                                          Participant

arthurjedi007
                                            Participant

I am concerned about the sun too. Especially after some of these meds that warn against being in the sun and getting several skin cancers by being on the meds. This is keeping in mind until the meds no one ever found anything on my skin but I was stage 4 anyway.

What I do is I have a coolibar hat with side and back flaps. a dark visor that I can lower over my face. A wrap that covers the sides and lower front of my face and entire neck. spf 100 kids sunblock for the face that's sort of but not really exposed cause of the visor. Shirt and pants. All that clothing is uv 50+. With all that I can easilly walk a mile in the sun and feel protected. I also saw a video of a ned guy from moffit wearing everything exactly like that except the visor as he piloted his boat.

Yeah it is a lot to go through. I get lots of stares. But it can be fun too. Mom told one kid I was auditioning for the new Star Wars movie and he became really excited. lol.

I also don't like the sun coming in my house windows so I have them boarded up. But I leave the front and back doors open most of the time to get some indirect sunlight. Also if they keep me on this pd1 med I plan to just get some film tinting on the house windows instead of being boarded up. That 3M tinting works really well in my car.

I also take my vitamin D3 and K2 supplements to try and make up for the lack of sunlight.

So yeah I'm right there with your husband and maybe I went overboard in the protection but I feel comfortable in the sun that way.

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

I am concerned about the sun too. Especially after some of these meds that warn against being in the sun and getting several skin cancers by being on the meds. This is keeping in mind until the meds no one ever found anything on my skin but I was stage 4 anyway.

What I do is I have a coolibar hat with side and back flaps. a dark visor that I can lower over my face. A wrap that covers the sides and lower front of my face and entire neck. spf 100 kids sunblock for the face that's sort of but not really exposed cause of the visor. Shirt and pants. All that clothing is uv 50+. With all that I can easilly walk a mile in the sun and feel protected. I also saw a video of a ned guy from moffit wearing everything exactly like that except the visor as he piloted his boat.

Yeah it is a lot to go through. I get lots of stares. But it can be fun too. Mom told one kid I was auditioning for the new Star Wars movie and he became really excited. lol.

I also don't like the sun coming in my house windows so I have them boarded up. But I leave the front and back doors open most of the time to get some indirect sunlight. Also if they keep me on this pd1 med I plan to just get some film tinting on the house windows instead of being boarded up. That 3M tinting works really well in my car.

I also take my vitamin D3 and K2 supplements to try and make up for the lack of sunlight.

So yeah I'm right there with your husband and maybe I went overboard in the protection but I feel comfortable in the sun that way.

gaby
                                                  Participant

Hi Arthur! I always read your post, I know you're giving battle to melanoma.

To know the Coolibar clothing but unfortunately I am from Argentina (a country in south america) and here in Argentina do not sell such clothing ….. then use common clothing without sun protection factor.

thanks for your advice

you are in my prayers

regards

Gaby

gaby
                                                    Participant

To know the Coolibar clothing but unfortunately I am from Argentina (a country in south america) and here in Argentina do not sell such clothing ….. then use common clothing without sun protection factor.

thanks for your advice

you are in my prayers

regards

Gaby

gaby
                                                      Participant

thanks for your advice

you are in my prayers

regards

Gaby

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

sweetaugust
                                                        Participant

Hi Gaby,

I was diagnosed stage 2 back in 2000.  And I did not go out in the sun for the next 12 years.  I did what I was told and just hid.  So when I was diagnosed as stage 4 back in Oct 2012…I was taken aback a little.  But I then decided not to hide from life anymore…and just live the one life I have.  I am now also 40 years old like your husband. 

I bought all the sun clothes and they truly work so I can get out there and still be active. My two-piece is just no longer a bikini but a swim shirt and pants.  🙂

I now go on beach vacations with my friends and family a few times a year.  I just make sure those beaches have lots of trees to hide under.  St. John in the USVI is a great lsland for that.  With all the stress we deal with, you wouldn't believe how relaxing it is to just be under the trees getting no sun, and watching the ocean waves.  All stress melts away.  And releasing as much stress from your life as possible only helps your immune system become stronger and healthier.

Since being stage 4 I also try and get my natural vitamin D by being in the sun for 15 minutes a day.  I started thinking that maybe hiding from the sun every single day seemed un-natural to me.  That without the sun, there is no life….so to get out there for just 15 minutes of sun could not be bad thing.  It's when we fry our skin that trouble begins.  And I definitely won't ever do that again.

Knowing that our skin is our largest organ, I try to limit the amount of chemicals I put on it.  My gut feeling is that a lot of these SPF's out there may block some of the bad rays, but they are probably not good for our body in large quantities.  You may be familiar with the saying "everything in moderation."  So I, like some of the others here, use the sun clothes from http://www.coolibar.com; http://www.solumbra.com when I am going to be in the sun in the middle of the day.   I wear the long sleeve shirts and the pants….that way I only have to apply SPF to my face, ears, neck, hands and feet.  And I often wear a hat…and put my chair in the shade.

If I am to use SPF, I choose to either buy a more natural brand at Whole Foods, or my friend just forwarded me the following recipe the other day, so I could make my own.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/07/how-to-make-your-own-sunscreen-lotion.html?fb_action_ids=10151711672879868&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A10150924620161566%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Just cut and paste the above link into your browser and it gives the directions on how to make it.

These are just things I've found work for me, to help me get back out there, but in a way that I feel I am being smart. 

Good luck to you both and I hope a relaxing holiday is in your near future,

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                          Participant

Hi Gaby,

I was diagnosed stage 2 back in 2000.  And I did not go out in the sun for the next 12 years.  I did what I was told and just hid.  So when I was diagnosed as stage 4 back in Oct 2012…I was taken aback a little.  But I then decided not to hide from life anymore…and just live the one life I have.  I am now also 40 years old like your husband. 

I bought all the sun clothes and they truly work so I can get out there and still be active. My two-piece is just no longer a bikini but a swim shirt and pants.  🙂

I now go on beach vacations with my friends and family a few times a year.  I just make sure those beaches have lots of trees to hide under.  St. John in the USVI is a great lsland for that.  With all the stress we deal with, you wouldn't believe how relaxing it is to just be under the trees getting no sun, and watching the ocean waves.  All stress melts away.  And releasing as much stress from your life as possible only helps your immune system become stronger and healthier.

Since being stage 4 I also try and get my natural vitamin D by being in the sun for 15 minutes a day.  I started thinking that maybe hiding from the sun every single day seemed un-natural to me.  That without the sun, there is no life….so to get out there for just 15 minutes of sun could not be bad thing.  It's when we fry our skin that trouble begins.  And I definitely won't ever do that again.

Knowing that our skin is our largest organ, I try to limit the amount of chemicals I put on it.  My gut feeling is that a lot of these SPF's out there may block some of the bad rays, but they are probably not good for our body in large quantities.  You may be familiar with the saying "everything in moderation."  So I, like some of the others here, use the sun clothes from http://www.coolibar.com; http://www.solumbra.com when I am going to be in the sun in the middle of the day.   I wear the long sleeve shirts and the pants….that way I only have to apply SPF to my face, ears, neck, hands and feet.  And I often wear a hat…and put my chair in the shade.

If I am to use SPF, I choose to either buy a more natural brand at Whole Foods, or my friend just forwarded me the following recipe the other day, so I could make my own.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/07/how-to-make-your-own-sunscreen-lotion.html?fb_action_ids=10151711672879868&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A10150924620161566%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Just cut and paste the above link into your browser and it gives the directions on how to make it.

These are just things I've found work for me, to help me get back out there, but in a way that I feel I am being smart. 

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                            Participant

Hi Gaby,

Laurie

Colleen66
                                                              Participant

I just had this conversation with my Onc a couple weeks ago.  I am also really afraid of the sun.  He told me I have to live my life.  I need to stay healthy.  I need to relax.  It's hard.  I am following his advice tho.  I wear floppy hats, linen slacks and long sleeve cotton blouses and lots of sunscreen underneath it all.  It feels so good to enjoy the beauty outside, it's taking the fear away already!  I still see my Derm and she takes pictures of anything she's watching.  I still have scans.  I still see my Onc but I'm trying to make it routine.  I do all my sunscreen in the morning after my shower.  Then just reapply as needed.  If I have to run out quickly, I'm already prepared.  I really understand his fear.  It's a process to get thru.  I hope he will start to realize what he's missing as I did.  All my best wishes to both of you.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                                                Participant

I just had this conversation with my Onc a couple weeks ago.  I am also really afraid of the sun.  He told me I have to live my life.  I need to stay healthy.  I need to relax.  It's hard.  I am following his advice tho.  I wear floppy hats, linen slacks and long sleeve cotton blouses and lots of sunscreen underneath it all.  It feels so good to enjoy the beauty outside, it's taking the fear away already!  I still see my Derm and she takes pictures of anything she's watching.  I still have scans.  I still see my Onc but I'm trying to make it routine.  I do all my sunscreen in the morning after my shower.  Then just reapply as needed.  If I have to run out quickly, I'm already prepared.  I really understand his fear.  It's a process to get thru.  I hope he will start to realize what he's missing as I did.  All my best wishes to both of you.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                                                  Participant

Colleen

Rocco
                                                                    Participant

Hi Gaby –

I'm a Stage IV survivor, diagnosed in August 2005. At first I was scared todeath to go out in the sun, but eventually I just found ways to protect myself from it and felt more empowered in doing so.  I prefer to wear 'sun safe' clothing whenever possible in place of sunscreen.  Many more companies are offering newer options.  I also prepare better – in my car I keep a spare sunsafe long sleeved, botton front shirt, a wide brimmed hat and sunscreen.  My car windows are now tinted so I wear short sleeve shirts without care.  I vacation in Florida once a year, kayak and drive a convertable (my one bucket list item I went for!) in the summer, but in all cases I prepare for the sun.  I love to garden, but I shifted doing that activity to very early mornings or near dusk.  My advice would be: be prepared, gear up for it and go out and enjoy time outside – life is too short not to!

-Rocco – Stage IV since 2005, IPI responder since 2009, NED

Rocco
                                                                      Participant

Hi Gaby –

I'm a Stage IV survivor, diagnosed in August 2005. At first I was scared todeath to go out in the sun, but eventually I just found ways to protect myself from it and felt more empowered in doing so.  I prefer to wear 'sun safe' clothing whenever possible in place of sunscreen.  Many more companies are offering newer options.  I also prepare better – in my car I keep a spare sunsafe long sleeved, botton front shirt, a wide brimmed hat and sunscreen.  My car windows are now tinted so I wear short sleeve shirts without care.  I vacation in Florida once a year, kayak and drive a convertable (my one bucket list item I went for!) in the summer, but in all cases I prepare for the sun.  I love to garden, but I shifted doing that activity to very early mornings or near dusk.  My advice would be: be prepared, gear up for it and go out and enjoy time outside – life is too short not to!

Rocco
                                                                        Participant

Hi Gaby –

Janner
                                                                          Participant

The sun has never been implicated in a recurrence.  So the only reason for your husband to avoid the sun is to avoid a new melanoma primary.  <10% ever have more than one melanoma primary. 

I refuse to let melanoma win whether or not I recur.  So I garden, I play tennis, I go camping.  Yes, I tend to wear more clothing than most because I hate greasy sunscreen.  But I will NOT let melanoma steal away my life and things I like to do

Janner
                                                                            Participant

The sun has never been implicated in a recurrence.  So the only reason for your husband to avoid the sun is to avoid a new melanoma primary.  <10% ever have more than one melanoma primary. 

I refuse to let melanoma win whether or not I recur.  So I garden, I play tennis, I go camping.  Yes, I tend to wear more clothing than most because I hate greasy sunscreen.  But I will NOT let melanoma steal away my life and things I like to do

Janner
                                                                              Participant

kylez
                                                                                  Participant

The sunscreen I've found that doesn't drive me crazy and make me hate wearing it is Anthelios 40 with Mexoryl SX. It's priced like it contains gold nanoparticles (ecamsule, actually) but a 1.7 oz tube lasts an order of magnitude more than I would have guessed. I use for face and neck… I'm in that <10% with a second primary… don't want a third.

kylez
                                                                                    Participant

The sunscreen I've found that doesn't drive me crazy and make me hate wearing it is Anthelios 40 with Mexoryl SX. It's priced like it contains gold nanoparticles (ecamsule, actually) but a 1.7 oz tube lasts an order of magnitude more than I would have guessed. I use for face and neck… I'm in that <10% with a second primary… don't want a third.

kylez
                                                                                      Participant

CHD
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Gaby,

You might also mention to your husband that there are lots of people like me who have had melanoma that is completely unrelated to sun.  In my case, I have had vulvar melanoma.  My son had pre-melanoma on his lower abdomen in an area always covered by a bathing suit.  It is possible to have vulvar, vaginal, anal, and oral melanoma, none of which are related to sun exposure.  There is a genetic component to melanoma, too.

Of course we do know that UV exposure contributes to melanoma.  In some cases, though, it doesn't.  My advice to people is:  1) Be careful in the sun.  Wear sunblock.  My dermatologist said at least SPF30 and reapply every few hours, but no need to avoid the sun completely.  Go on vacation, hike, and swim, and seek out shady spots and wear big floppy hats.  2) Have a skin check regularly, head to toe, even in areas like bottoms of feet, under the nails, in the private areas that never see the sun.  The earlier it's caught, the better.   3) If you think something needs biopsied, don't necessarily back down when a dermatologist disagrees.  My derm tells me it is the easiest thing in the world to do a biopsy. 

Maybe it will help your husband to see the bigger picture.  Being careful in the sun is only one aspect of melanoma prevention, and there is no need to go to such an extreme that you no longer take vacations.  Again, there are melanomas that occur in places that never even see the sun!  Not vacationing will not protect you against those melanomas!  So enjoy your vacations, wear lots of sunblock, but above all be sure to check your skin regularly and get anything worrisome biopsied immediately.

Best of luck, Gaby!

Cheri

CHD
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Gaby,

You might also mention to your husband that there are lots of people like me who have had melanoma that is completely unrelated to sun.  In my case, I have had vulvar melanoma.  My son had pre-melanoma on his lower abdomen in an area always covered by a bathing suit.  It is possible to have vulvar, vaginal, anal, and oral melanoma, none of which are related to sun exposure.  There is a genetic component to melanoma, too.

Of course we do know that UV exposure contributes to melanoma.  In some cases, though, it doesn't.  My advice to people is:  1) Be careful in the sun.  Wear sunblock.  My dermatologist said at least SPF30 and reapply every few hours, but no need to avoid the sun completely.  Go on vacation, hike, and swim, and seek out shady spots and wear big floppy hats.  2) Have a skin check regularly, head to toe, even in areas like bottoms of feet, under the nails, in the private areas that never see the sun.  The earlier it's caught, the better.   3) If you think something needs biopsied, don't necessarily back down when a dermatologist disagrees.  My derm tells me it is the easiest thing in the world to do a biopsy. 

Maybe it will help your husband to see the bigger picture.  Being careful in the sun is only one aspect of melanoma prevention, and there is no need to go to such an extreme that you no longer take vacations.  Again, there are melanomas that occur in places that never even see the sun!  Not vacationing will not protect you against those melanomas!  So enjoy your vacations, wear lots of sunblock, but above all be sure to check your skin regularly and get anything worrisome biopsied immediately.

Best of luck, Gaby!

Cheri

CHD
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Gaby,

Best of luck, Gaby!

Cheri

JC
                                                                                              Participant

I was diagnosed in summer of 2011 and it has taken until this summer for me to finally be comfortable enough and the anxiety has fallen enough for me to be able to go swimming outdoors again sometimes

JC
                                                                                                Participant

I was diagnosed in summer of 2011 and it has taken until this summer for me to finally be comfortable enough and the anxiety has fallen enough for me to be able to go swimming outdoors again sometimes

JC
                                                                                                  Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics