The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and cervix

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and cervix

Participant
      Has anyone ever heard of melanoma spreading to the cervix? Would it show up “black”? I just had two spots biopsied after an abnormal pap smear. It’s probably nothing to worry about. I was just curious…don’t melanoma cells always look dark (ie lung mets etc)
      Thanks for any input.

Has anyone ever heard of melanoma spreading to the cervix? Would it show up “black”? I just had two spots biopsied after an abnormal pap smear. It’s probably nothing to worry about. I was just curious…don’t melanoma cells always look dark (ie lung mets etc)
      Thanks for any input.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Don't get paranoid.  Even if the final report says Melanoma.  Yes melanoma can even be a primary on the cervix.  And No, melanoma is not always dark.  Mine have been, but I have heard of them being all different colors and even colorless.  It is a rare occurance when it hapens. 

http://www.cancerfacts.com/GeneralContent/Cervical/gen_overview.asp?CB=12

Melanoma
          This type of the cervical cancer is also rare. It can be hard to determine if it originated in the cervix, in which case the cervix would be the "primary" site, or migrated (metastasized) from elsewhere in the body, in which case the melanoma of the cervix would be the "metastatic" site. Careful examination to determine the primary site is important.

In 1999 it was published that ony 26 cases had ever been published, in 2010 they said only 60 cases have ever been published about.  So while  it is possible, It is extremely rare.

If it does turn out to be melanoma you should have a Mutation test and learn if the tumors contain c-kit or BRAF mutations.  There are targeted drugs that may help in this case.  There are also two drugs that have the best track record against general melanomas, IL-2 and Yervoy.  there are also trials for other treatments such as MEK and PD-1 that may be beneficial.

Good luck and pleasse let us know what is found.

Praying for you.

ccbreeding
            Participant
              Thank you for your reply! I know it’s very unlikely it’s melanoma!…however, I had stage III melanoma 4 yrs ago on my leg.
              I guess I’ll always be a little paranoid:)
              Courtney
              JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Concerned watchfulnes, I call being vigilant.  Paranoid to me is when you cannot really function.  You seem to be function and learning.  This is good.  

With melanoma, knowing the odds is one thing, knowing for sure is so much better!

With having the leg melanoma, even if the revix is not in the exact lymph path to the lungs, I would want to know for sure.  My right breast  lump was not in the path, but I did want to bbe sure even though I didn't think it was mel.  I WAS CORRECT!  It wasn't mel.  Knowiing this has sure made me more at ease about skippiing my next bloodwork test to go be with my new grandchild!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Concerned watchfulnes, I call being vigilant.  Paranoid to me is when you cannot really function.  You seem to be function and learning.  This is good.  

With melanoma, knowing the odds is one thing, knowing for sure is so much better!

With having the leg melanoma, even if the revix is not in the exact lymph path to the lungs, I would want to know for sure.  My right breast  lump was not in the path, but I did want to bbe sure even though I didn't think it was mel.  I WAS CORRECT!  It wasn't mel.  Knowiing this has sure made me more at ease about skippiing my next bloodwork test to go be with my new grandchild!

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

ccbreeding
                    Participant
                      Thank you for your reply! I know it’s very unlikely it’s melanoma!…however, I had stage III melanoma 4 yrs ago on my leg.
                      Courtney
                      ccbreeding
                      Participant
                        Courtney
                      JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Don't get paranoid.  Even if the final report says Melanoma.  Yes melanoma can even be a primary on the cervix.  And No, melanoma is not always dark.  Mine have been, but I have heard of them being all different colors and even colorless.  It is a rare occurance when it hapens. 

Melanoma
                        This type of the cervical cancer is also rare. It can be hard to determine if it originated in the cervix, in which case the cervix would be the "primary" site, or migrated (metastasized) from elsewhere in the body, in which case the melanoma of the cervix would be the "metastatic" site. Careful examination to determine the primary site is important.

In 1999 it was published that ony 26 cases had ever been published, in 2010 they said only 60 cases have ever been published about.  So while  it is possible, It is extremely rare.

If it does turn out to be melanoma you should have a Mutation test and learn if the tumors contain c-kit or BRAF mutations.  There are targeted drugs that may help in this case.  There are also two drugs that have the best track record against general melanomas, IL-2 and Yervoy.  there are also trials for other treatments such as MEK and PD-1 that may be beneficial.

Praying for you.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Melanoma

Praying for you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics