The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MELANOMA AND BREAST CANCER

Forums General Melanoma Community MELANOMA AND BREAST CANCER

Participant

Is anyone aware of a correlation between melanoma and breast cancer?

Thanks

Is anyone aware of a correlation between melanoma and breast cancer?

Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        CAdesiree
        Participant

i am new to melanoma.  but i think i read something about it increasing your chances of breast cancer by 50%.  scared the **** out of me.  both my grandmothers died with breast cancer, and my mother had diseased ducts removed.  but i read that one night i couldnt sleep… so my info may be confused.

CAdesiree
          Participant

i am new to melanoma.  but i think i read something about it increasing your chances of breast cancer by 50%.  scared the **** out of me.  both my grandmothers died with breast cancer, and my mother had diseased ducts removed.  but i read that one night i couldnt sleep… so my info may be confused.

MichaelFL
            Participant
              You may wish to research the BRCA2 (and perhaps BRCA1) genetic mutation. The name of this gene is called: breast cancer 2, early onset.

This may help you some too, it is from NCI:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

Please keep in mind, the risk is still low, and it does not mean anyone will ever get these other cancers, just that one is at a slightly increased risk if positive for the mutation.

In addition to female breast cancer, mutations in the BRCA2 gene can also lead to an increased risk of ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, fallopian tube cancer, male breast cancer, and of course melanoma.

Here is a post of mine from some time ago as well:

Posted by MichaelFL at 01:32 on Sat, Nov 07, 2009 [Show other posts by MichaelFL]

In Reply to: question by audreyvi posted at 01:01 on Sat, Nov 07, 2009

BRCA1 (breast cancer 1, early onset) is a gene in humans, in which some mutations are associated with a increase in the risk of breast cancer, as well as other cancers too.

BRCA1 belongs to a class of genes known as tumor suppressors, which maintains genomic integrity to prevent dangerous genetic changes. The multifactorial BRCA1 protein product is involved in DNA damage repair especially error-free repair of DNA double strand breaks,ubiquitination, transcriptional regulation as well as other functions.

BRCA2 (Breast Cancer Type 2 susceptibility protein) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the BRCA2 gene. BRCA2 belongs to the tumor suppressor gene family, and the protein encoded by this gene is involved in the repair of chromosomal damage with an important role in the error-free repair of DNA double strand breaks.

The BRCA1 gene accounts for about 45 percent of hereditary breast cancer, but researchers believe it is not associated with an increased risk for melanoma. The BRCA2 gene, on the other hand, has been associated not only with an increased risk for breast cancer, but also with increased risk for melanoma as well.

BRCA genetic mutations can also be found in other cancers as well such as:

Fallopian tube cancer: where lifetime risk to be less than 1% in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.

Pancreatic cancer: Although studies on carriers of both BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations have indicated an elevated lifetime risk for pancreatic cancer, they say that the the risk is small.

Primary peritoneal cancer: which is the layer of cells lining the inside of the abdomen. The risk for primary peritoneal cancer is still very low in both mutation carriers: one study estimated the lifetime risk in BRCA carriers to be 1.3%, while another study found the risk to be 3.5%.

Prostate cancer: where Both BRCA1 and BRCA2 have been linked with an increased risk factor for prostate cancer.

Stomach cancer: where carriers of a BRCA2 mutation may have a slightly increased lifetime risk.

Uterine cancer: where risk is slightly increased in women who carry one of the genes.

Michael

boot2aboot
                Participant

if you are going to get cancer, breast cancer is easier to treat than melanoma…you should be afraid of melanoma much more than BC…i remember my breast onc saying…i wish it was BC…

i am told that BRCA2 gene defect is implicated in the melanoma i got…i am MUP….my sister is also BRCA2 and she DID have BC…

i really believe cancer starts because of mutated genes you get at birth…they are finding new mutations all the time implicated in cancers…

boots

boot2aboot
                  Participant

if you are going to get cancer, breast cancer is easier to treat than melanoma…you should be afraid of melanoma much more than BC…i remember my breast onc saying…i wish it was BC…

i am told that BRCA2 gene defect is implicated in the melanoma i got…i am MUP….my sister is also BRCA2 and she DID have BC…

i really believe cancer starts because of mutated genes you get at birth…they are finding new mutations all the time implicated in cancers…

boots

MichaelFL
                  Participant
                    You may wish to research the BRCA2 (and perhaps BRCA1) genetic mutation. The name of this gene is called: breast cancer 2, early onset.

This may help you some too, it is from NCI:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

Please keep in mind, the risk is still low, and it does not mean anyone will ever get these other cancers, just that one is at a slightly increased risk if positive for the mutation.

In addition to female breast cancer, mutations in the BRCA2 gene can also lead to an increased risk of ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, fallopian tube cancer, male breast cancer, and of course melanoma.

Here is a post of mine from some time ago as well:

Posted by MichaelFL at 01:32 on Sat, Nov 07, 2009 [Show other posts by MichaelFL]

In Reply to: question by audreyvi posted at 01:01 on Sat, Nov 07, 2009

BRCA1 (breast cancer 1, early onset) is a gene in humans, in which some mutations are associated with a increase in the risk of breast cancer, as well as other cancers too.

BRCA1 belongs to a class of genes known as tumor suppressors, which maintains genomic integrity to prevent dangerous genetic changes. The multifactorial BRCA1 protein product is involved in DNA damage repair especially error-free repair of DNA double strand breaks,ubiquitination, transcriptional regulation as well as other functions.

BRCA2 (Breast Cancer Type 2 susceptibility protein) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the BRCA2 gene. BRCA2 belongs to the tumor suppressor gene family, and the protein encoded by this gene is involved in the repair of chromosomal damage with an important role in the error-free repair of DNA double strand breaks.

The BRCA1 gene accounts for about 45 percent of hereditary breast cancer, but researchers believe it is not associated with an increased risk for melanoma. The BRCA2 gene, on the other hand, has been associated not only with an increased risk for breast cancer, but also with increased risk for melanoma as well.

BRCA genetic mutations can also be found in other cancers as well such as:

Fallopian tube cancer: where lifetime risk to be less than 1% in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.

Pancreatic cancer: Although studies on carriers of both BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations have indicated an elevated lifetime risk for pancreatic cancer, they say that the the risk is small.

Primary peritoneal cancer: which is the layer of cells lining the inside of the abdomen. The risk for primary peritoneal cancer is still very low in both mutation carriers: one study estimated the lifetime risk in BRCA carriers to be 1.3%, while another study found the risk to be 3.5%.

Prostate cancer: where Both BRCA1 and BRCA2 have been linked with an increased risk factor for prostate cancer.

Stomach cancer: where carriers of a BRCA2 mutation may have a slightly increased lifetime risk.

Uterine cancer: where risk is slightly increased in women who carry one of the genes.

Michael

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics