The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma 1a – confused and scared

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma 1a – confused and scared

Participant

My husband was recently diagnosed with SSM 1a. We had another pathologist to read his path (second opinion).

First report: Breslow 0.6 Clark IV no regression 0 mitosis no ulceration

Second report: Breslow 0.84 Clark IV partial regression present 0 mitosis no ulceration

He had wide excision, but did not have SLNB!!

I am panicking! That is all I can think all day and all night… I can't focus on anything else…

What should we do?

Can he have SLNB now? Will it be accurate?

Any experts on this?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

His lesion doesn't warrant a SNB – with either report.  They have guidelines for a reason and your husband's lesion, Stage 1a, doesn't fit the criteria.  Doing the SNB now is not helpful.  Once the wide local excision has been done, the SNB would no longer be conclusive.  The WLE removes enough tissue that drainage paths may be altered, and the SNB relies upon drainage paths being undisturbed.

Maybe you should see some type of counselor.  Yes, he has had cancer but his prognosis is excellent.  How is your husband doing?  How does he feel about this?  Survival rates for stage 1a is in the high 90's.  That's about as good as it gets with any type of cancer.  There is never any 100% guarantee, that is the uncertainty of living with a cancer diagnosis.  But by letting melanoma steal your focus on you life, you are letting it win NOW whether or not it ever comes back.  Don't let melanoma take away life NOW!

Janner
          Participant

His lesion doesn't warrant a SNB – with either report.  They have guidelines for a reason and your husband's lesion, Stage 1a, doesn't fit the criteria.  Doing the SNB now is not helpful.  Once the wide local excision has been done, the SNB would no longer be conclusive.  The WLE removes enough tissue that drainage paths may be altered, and the SNB relies upon drainage paths being undisturbed.

Maybe you should see some type of counselor.  Yes, he has had cancer but his prognosis is excellent.  How is your husband doing?  How does he feel about this?  Survival rates for stage 1a is in the high 90's.  That's about as good as it gets with any type of cancer.  There is never any 100% guarantee, that is the uncertainty of living with a cancer diagnosis.  But by letting melanoma steal your focus on you life, you are letting it win NOW whether or not it ever comes back.  Don't let melanoma take away life NOW!

tinochka
              Participant

Janner, thank you for your support! He is trying to stay positive. I feel like I negatively affect him( 

I just don't know how to handle it. It feels like no joy in life anymore. I feel scared and uncertain…

I keep reading articles…. and more I read, more scared I get..

Janner
                Participant

I will tell you what I tell every newbie early stager.  STAY OFF THE INTERNET.  This is not the place for you.  What you don't see when you look at stories is the vast majority of people, like yourself, who were diagnosed, asked questions and moved on.  Or maybe didn't even ask questions on the internet.  I have literally talked to thousands of early stagers over the 15 years I've been on this site and they're not still here posting.  They are living life.  Researching melanoma is NOT the right thing to do at the moment.  His has been excised, he is done.  IF and that is a giant IF, he ever has to deal with melanoma again, there will be plenty of time to learn what you need to know then.  The field is changing so fast that it is impossible to keep up on things and it makes absolutely no sense for someone stage 1a to try and do that.  LEAVE THIS SITE – you will be better off for doing it.  This site is for the "exceptions", the 3%.  Not the 97% of stage 1a people who never deal with melanoma again.

GOODBYE and we all with you the best. 

tinochka
                  Participant

Thank you! 

tinochka
                    Participant

Thank you! 

tinochka
                      Participant

Thank you! 

deardad
                        Participant
                          So true Janner! I’m back here after 4 years just to see how ones are going and Im so happy that you are still advising and supporting ones on this forum new and old. Truly a dedicated person with sound advise!
                          deardad
                          Participant
                            So true Janner! I’m back here after 4 years just to see how ones are going and Im so happy that you are still advising and supporting ones on this forum new and old. Truly a dedicated person with sound advise!
                            deardad
                            Participant
                              jenny22
                              Participant

I think Janner gave you the best advice…..I especailly liked her GOODBYE and her good wishes…..

Go live your life….

no need to spend time here with us now!!!!!!

jenny22
                                Participant

I think Janner gave you the best advice…..I especailly liked her GOODBYE and her good wishes…..

Go live your life….

jenny22
                                  Participant

Go live your life….

Janner
                                    Participant

I will tell you what I tell every newbie early stager.  STAY OFF THE INTERNET.  This is not the place for you.  What you don't see when you look at stories is the vast majority of people, like yourself, who were diagnosed, asked questions and moved on.  Or maybe didn't even ask questions on the internet.  I have literally talked to thousands of early stagers over the 15 years I've been on this site and they're not still here posting.  They are living life.  Researching melanoma is NOT the right thing to do at the moment.  His has been excised, he is done.  IF and that is a giant IF, he ever has to deal with melanoma again, there will be plenty of time to learn what you need to know then.  The field is changing so fast that it is impossible to keep up on things and it makes absolutely no sense for someone stage 1a to try and do that.  LEAVE THIS SITE – you will be better off for doing it.  This site is for the "exceptions", the 3%.  Not the 97% of stage 1a people who never deal with melanoma again.

Janner
                                      Participant

tinochka
                                        Participant

Janner, thank you for your support! He is trying to stay positive. I feel like I negatively affect him( 

I just don't know how to handle it. It feels like no joy in life anymore. I feel scared and uncertain…

tinochka
                                          Participant

Janner
                                          Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics