The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mel in situ and more WLEs

Forums General Melanoma Community Mel in situ and more WLEs

Participant

After being diagnosed with melanoma in situ on my arm back in March, I've since had 6 moles removed 3 of which have been dysplastic Nevis requiring WLEs. I just came from the 2nd of them and the nurse spotted 2 more suspicious moles and made a note for the doctor to check at my next appointment in 2 weeks. It just never ends. I'm racking up huge bills and she acted like if I didn't pay some today they wouldn't see me. So now I'm thinking what happens when the bill IS out of control and they won't? Compared to almost everything I've read on this board my problems are small and I apologize. I guess my concerns are how do I deal with the never ending trips to the dermatologist, how do I keep the depression anxiety and worry at bay, and is this really manageable at the external level? My over zealous Doctor sent me for a pet scan in April which was clear so as shocked as I was to have to go thru that at stage 0 I am thankful. I guess the depression comes from knowing I have a ton of moles and a lot seem to be bad. How many more scars? And what if I miss one which gets worse? To stage 0 to 2 people how did you cope with the biopsies and the waiting and the bills etc? The depression and worry? I really want to be a big girl and deal with this with strength and grace but I just feel like hiding and crying.. Sorry just had to vent a little. Certainly no one in my real life who understands. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Plenty okay to vent.

Sometimes ( well many times actually) each of us just need to blow offf some steam, express our frustrations and fears and seek a understanding , non judgemental ear in order to best move ahead.

Strange as it may seem, I think everybody needs a secret place with cancer; especially with the confounding aspects of melanoma.

I have been coming here since, oh, 1996 I think, because one thing I found in this digital life that I did not in my day to day real life was a bunch of people that "get it" about melanoma.

I encourage you to express your fear, anxiety, uncertainity, frustration, isolation and just all over thought that you have been thrown into some big dark barrel all by yourself.

Everybody here gets what you are going through.

It is pretty cool for everybody to have at least ONE secret friend.

All of us can be yours ; and we won't tell.

Well, unless we find a rat and will then shoot them at sunrise (smirk)

Breathe deep and come here for understanding.

You are at a place where people get what you are going through with no apologies

Cheers,

Charlie S

Aubreesmommy41
            Participant

Thank you Charlie s for your reply.. I read everything on this board.. I probably shouldn't.. But I've seen your recent struggles and it means the world that you would take the time to let me know I'm not alone.. Idk if you pray or believe but I am praying for you.. And again thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Aubreesmommy41
              Participant

Thank you Charlie s for your reply.. I read everything on this board.. I probably shouldn't.. But I've seen your recent struggles and it means the world that you would take the time to let me know I'm not alone.. Idk if you pray or believe but I am praying for you.. And again thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

Charlie S
                Participant

Plenty okay to vent.

Sometimes ( well many times actually) each of us just need to blow offf some steam, express our frustrations and fears and seek a understanding , non judgemental ear in order to best move ahead.

Strange as it may seem, I think everybody needs a secret place with cancer; especially with the confounding aspects of melanoma.

I have been coming here since, oh, 1996 I think, because one thing I found in this digital life that I did not in my day to day real life was a bunch of people that "get it" about melanoma.

I encourage you to express your fear, anxiety, uncertainity, frustration, isolation and just all over thought that you have been thrown into some big dark barrel all by yourself.

You are at a place where people get what you are going through with no apologies

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Plenty okay to vent.

Cheers,

Charlie S

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      This disease is never easy. The constant visits and worry takes its toll on all of us. Once you’re diagnosed, vigilance is key, and it’ll make you feel so much better about your health. You can take back a lot of control on these biopsies by watching your own skin. Take photos and every week, check out your skin. Compare and contrast. Any potential change and keep a closer eye on it. If it starts to look like a sure change, schedule a check. If it hasn’t changed, it shouldn’t worry you.

I’ve become so accustomed to my moles I only take out the photos when I think something has changed. Your moles are not the enemy. They aren’t out to get you, but just like kids, you have to keep an eye on them!

I hope Janner chimes in here. Did your dysplastic Nevis have severe irregularities? I’ve never heard of a WLE for abnormal moles. If they were only mild or moderate, it sounds almost as though your derm is feeding off your fear and being a little too scalpel happy. If you feel this may be, do you have access to another derm in your area? Do you trust your derm? These are all so important in your treatment and play a huge factor in your stress level.

Wishing you all the best! You can do this!

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

You know I do think he is scalpel crazy and $$ hungry.. Plus he has no personality.. I do want to find another Derm.. I think once my next WLE is done I'm going to try another one.. Trouble is in my area most only have backgrounds in cosmetic dermatology.. He is considered the best around here and specializes in skin cancer.. I don't know but I can tell you this is taking its toll on me.. Thanks for your reply and advice.. I will look into finding a friendlier less chop happy Derm lol

Aubreesmommy41
                          Participant

You know I do think he is scalpel crazy and $$ hungry.. Plus he has no personality.. I do want to find another Derm.. I think once my next WLE is done I'm going to try another one.. Trouble is in my area most only have backgrounds in cosmetic dermatology.. He is considered the best around here and specializes in skin cancer.. I don't know but I can tell you this is taking its toll on me.. Thanks for your reply and advice.. I will look into finding a friendlier less chop happy Derm lol

Aubreesmommy41
                            Participant

WithinMySkin
                            Participant
                              This disease is never easy. The constant visits and worry takes its toll on all of us. Once you’re diagnosed, vigilance is key, and it’ll make you feel so much better about your health. You can take back a lot of control on these biopsies by watching your own skin. Take photos and every week, check out your skin. Compare and contrast. Any potential change and keep a closer eye on it. If it starts to look like a sure change, schedule a check. If it hasn’t changed, it shouldn’t worry you.

I’ve become so accustomed to my moles I only take out the photos when I think something has changed. Your moles are not the enemy. They aren’t out to get you, but just like kids, you have to keep an eye on them!

I hope Janner chimes in here. Did your dysplastic Nevis have severe irregularities? I’ve never heard of a WLE for abnormal moles. If they were only mild or moderate, it sounds almost as though your derm is feeding off your fear and being a little too scalpel happy. If you feel this may be, do you have access to another derm in your area? Do you trust your derm? These are all so important in your treatment and play a huge factor in your stress level.

WithinMySkin
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics