The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mekinist

Forums General Melanoma Community Mekinist

Participant

Hello well down to last treatment before chemo (which my dad won't do)is Mekinist. We cannot combine with the equivalent of zelboraf because his kidneys failed from that and he almost died from pd-1.

yeh, doesn't sound good. Had anyone been on just Mekinist and if so what were Side effects?

thanks much!!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I don't recall anyone on this forum getting Mekinist (trametinib) alone, although DeniseK may be doing that now. We most often hear about patients who got the Taflinar + Mekinist combo. There was a Phase III clinical trial of  Mekinist vs standard chemo (Flaherty et al, NEJM July 2012) that showed that Mekinist worked somewhat better than standard chemo, but not a lot better. 

The most common adverse effects reported for the clinical trial were: "rash, diarrhea, peripheral edema, fatigue, and dermatitis acneiform; among the patients with rash, less than 8% had grade 3 or 4 rash. A decreased ejection fraction or ventricular dysfunction was observed in 14 patients (7%) in the trametinib group (11 with a decreased ejection fraction and 3 with left ventricular dysfunction).'

I hope this helps you.

POW
          Participant

I don't recall anyone on this forum getting Mekinist (trametinib) alone, although DeniseK may be doing that now. We most often hear about patients who got the Taflinar + Mekinist combo. There was a Phase III clinical trial of  Mekinist vs standard chemo (Flaherty et al, NEJM July 2012) that showed that Mekinist worked somewhat better than standard chemo, but not a lot better. 

The most common adverse effects reported for the clinical trial were: "rash, diarrhea, peripheral edema, fatigue, and dermatitis acneiform; among the patients with rash, less than 8% had grade 3 or 4 rash. A decreased ejection fraction or ventricular dysfunction was observed in 14 patients (7%) in the trametinib group (11 with a decreased ejection fraction and 3 with left ventricular dysfunction).'

I hope this helps you.

POW
            Participant

I hope this helps you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics