The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

mekinist and tafinlar

Forums General Melanoma Community mekinist and tafinlar

Participant
      My husband had reaccurence Mets in transit found at 3 month dermatologist check. He had just finished 4 infusion of yervoy. Went back to ctca in Chicago Wednesday this week , oncologist did ct scan now has small nodule in right lung too small to biopsy. Now he is to start mekinist and tafinlar hopefully next week. Wanting to know thoughts and anyone experience with this combo treatment. Thank you and blessings
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Cathy, I am just wondering if they offered him one of the Pd-1 drugs. The combo drugs have a great track record of working but they tend to eventually develop resistance. The Pd-1 drugs work for about 40% of use with stage 4 and when they work they tend to be very durable and patients continue to respond out for years. Wishing you the best with your journey!!! Ed 

stevecathy
            Participant
              Thanks Ed for the reply. They did not offer anything else . I will mention this to his dr. I appreciate the information. Thank you and blessings
              stevecathy
              Participant
                Thanks Ed for the reply. They did not offer anything else . I will mention this to his dr. I appreciate the information. Thank you and blessings
                stevecathy
                Participant
                ed williams
                Participant

Hi Cathy, I am just wondering if they offered him one of the Pd-1 drugs. The combo drugs have a great track record of working but they tend to eventually develop resistance. The Pd-1 drugs work for about 40% of use with stage 4 and when they work they tend to be very durable and patients continue to respond out for years. Wishing you the best with your journey!!! Ed 

ed williams
                  Participant

jamieth29
                    Participant
                      Just wanted to add that immunotherapy seems to work best when there is a low tumor burden. I was on taf/mek for 4 months to try and get me to be surgically resectable. The drugs did the job pretty well but when pathology from surgery came back live cells were still there. The median time to maximum response is about 2 months with median resistance at 11.5 months. After surgery my doctor pulled me off them. I dont think you want to use them until you become resistant because the cancer can become more aggressive after resistance. I think the trick is finding that right time to switch to immunotherapy as it is the only thing showing long durable response.
                        stevecathy
                        Participant
                          Thank you so much , I truly appreciate all the imput. Our emotions are on overload. We need to beat this. This is my prayer. Thank you again , and blessings always
                          stevecathy
                          Participant
                            Thank you so much , I truly appreciate all the imput. Our emotions are on overload. We need to beat this. This is my prayer. Thank you again , and blessings always
                            stevecathy
                            Participant
                            jamieth29
                            Participant
                              Just wanted to add that immunotherapy seems to work best when there is a low tumor burden. I was on taf/mek for 4 months to try and get me to be surgically resectable. The drugs did the job pretty well but when pathology from surgery came back live cells were still there. The median time to maximum response is about 2 months with median resistance at 11.5 months. After surgery my doctor pulled me off them. I dont think you want to use them until you become resistant because the cancer can become more aggressive after resistance. I think the trick is finding that right time to switch to immunotherapy as it is the only thing showing long durable response.
                              jamieth29
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics