The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MEK1 inhibitor

Forums General Melanoma Community MEK1 inhibitor

Participant
      Doc just told me he would like to start me on this in the next couple of days. Having trouble finding info, any hints?

Doc just told me he would like to start me on this in the next couple of days. Having trouble finding info, any hints?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I don't think that there is a lot of information about using a MEK inhibitor alone. For one thing, it only came on the market this month so not many people have taken it. The one clinical trial I saw about MEK alone (Phase I/II trial) showed partial responses to MEK in about 30% of treatment naive patients but only 10% responses in patients who had previously taken Zelboraf. 

If you search this site for BRAF + MEK you will see quite a few posts from people who were in the GSK BRAF + MEK clilnical trials. Apparently, BRAF+MEK works better than either drug alone– more people are responders (30-40%) and there are fewer side effects. 

Is your doctor recommending Trametinib (MEK) alone or the BRAF + MEK combination?

POW
          Participant

I don't think that there is a lot of information about using a MEK inhibitor alone. For one thing, it only came on the market this month so not many people have taken it. The one clinical trial I saw about MEK alone (Phase I/II trial) showed partial responses to MEK in about 30% of treatment naive patients but only 10% responses in patients who had previously taken Zelboraf. 

If you search this site for BRAF + MEK you will see quite a few posts from people who were in the GSK BRAF + MEK clilnical trials. Apparently, BRAF+MEK works better than either drug alone– more people are responders (30-40%) and there are fewer side effects. 

Is your doctor recommending Trametinib (MEK) alone or the BRAF + MEK combination?

POW
            Participant

mama1960
              Participant
                I don’t know yet, will reply when I know
                mama1960
                Participant
                  mama1960
                  Participant
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics