The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MEK Trial for Brent

Forums General Melanoma Community MEK Trial for Brent

Participant

Hi everyone,

Brents scans this past last week, after 9 months, where mixed.  Some measured a tiny bit larger than 2 months ago, but not as big as the baseline scan from February.  His doctor did not take him off the trial, for which he was grateful,  saying there is not significant growth.  Yesterday he is telling me he has some strange (discomfort in the lung area near where the growth was measured to be the most).  He will be scanned again in February. 

Hi everyone,

Brents scans this past last week, after 9 months, where mixed.  Some measured a tiny bit larger than 2 months ago, but not as big as the baseline scan from February.  His doctor did not take him off the trial, for which he was grateful,  saying there is not significant growth.  Yesterday he is telling me he has some strange (discomfort in the lung area near where the growth was measured to be the most).  He will be scanned again in February. 

We are looking into the plan B for the next treatment.  He was retested for a whole list of mutations and is negative.  The NRAS and GNAQ results are still not available.  He was Braf negative when he went on the trial.  The arm  of that  trial he started in Feb. was for solid tumors and he did not have to be  Braf positive to begin treatment.

He feels fantastic,  great appetite, high energy, and no real pain to speak of.  His breathing is good also. 

We know that CT scans can show different things at different times and are not perfect.  This could account for the difference from this scan to last.

We also know that most trials require that you not have previous treatment with inhibiitors.  I am aware that it is not going to be easy to move onto the next treatment and want to have some options in mind aheard of the game.

Anyone out there who has failed  a MEK inhibitor and has moved on to another trial?  Your input and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless you all.

Sharon and Brent

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

So sorry about your news.

What are your doctors recommending for plan B? How about IPI?

Stay strong..Brent is a fighter!

sharmon
            Participant

Brent was on a trial for ipi with carbo and taxol for over 6 months last year in 2009.  He progressed more than they allowed to remain on the trial.  That was a Moffit

sharmon
              Participant

Brent was on a trial for ipi with carbo and taxol for over 6 months last year in 2009.  He progressed more than they allowed to remain on the trial.  That was a Moffit

sharmon
                Participant

sharmon
                  Participant

killmel
                  Participant

So sorry about your news.

What are your doctors recommending for plan B? How about IPI?

Stay strong..Brent is a fighter!

Jim in Denver
                    Participant

Hi Sharon,

You and Brent would probably next consider a systemic treatment if the targeted treatment is not helping.  I am sure others will make the same observation.  That would mean ipilimab for "Plan B" and maybe IL2 or biochemo for "Plan C".

Best Wishes,

Jim

sharmon
                        Participant

hi,  He was on ipi for over 6 months with carbo and taxol.  Then this last January he did 1 week in the hospital with bio chemo and 11 days in the icu trying to recover. 

sharmon
                          Participant

hi,  He was on ipi for over 6 months with carbo and taxol.  Then this last January he did 1 week in the hospital with bio chemo and 11 days in the icu trying to recover. 

Jim in Denver
                          Participant

Hi Sharon,

You and Brent would probably next consider a systemic treatment if the targeted treatment is not helping.  I am sure others will make the same observation.  That would mean ipilimab for "Plan B" and maybe IL2 or biochemo for "Plan C".

Best Wishes,

Jim

Jim in Denver
                            Participant

I forgot about MDX 1105 or Anti PD1 as a possible Plan B as well, but that would be a Phase I Trial.  Here is more info:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01024231

Jim in Denver
                              Participant

I forgot about MDX 1105 or Anti PD1 as a possible Plan B as well, but that would be a Phase I Trial.  Here is more info:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01024231

killmel
                                  Participant

I agree with jim….just remember Phase 1 trials are "dose escalation" so you must consider the toxicity issues of the drugs!

killmel
                                    Participant

I agree with jim….just remember Phase 1 trials are "dose escalation" so you must consider the toxicity issues of the drugs!

sharmon
                                      Participant

Hi thanks for the help,  but cannot do PD1 if you have had ipi in the past or at least that is what is on the trials exclusions list.

sharmon
                                        Participant

Hi thanks for the help,  but cannot do PD1 if you have had ipi in the past or at least that is what is on the trials exclusions list.

Jim in Denver
                                        Participant

Sharon:

Not thinking clearly today – I meant to say MDX 1106.  Since Brent is currently being treated at MDA, your Oncologist there can tell you if he would be eligible for the Ipi + Temador Trial in which I am participating.  It is one of a few Ipi combination trials and is available only at MDA., so it would make sense to ask about it.   Researh into MDX 1106 is not as far along as with Ipi (also known as MDX 010 – both owned by Bristol Meyers), but it looks very promising, expecially in combination with Ipi, but it is available only at Yale Univ and MSK in NYC.  I see that Brent has already had biochemo, so that would maybe leave IL2 as another option.

Best,

Jim

sharmon
                                            Participant

hi, thanks for the information>  If i am wrong on this please let me know but my understanding is no mdx 1106 if there was prior IPI used in the past and Brent has has ipi with a combo chemo in 2009

Jim in Denver
                                              Participant

Yes you are correct, so these two treatment options would be mutually exclusive.   You obviously are up to speed on your options, so my comments are probably not helpful.  Has Brent already received Ipi?  If not, you might ask your Doc at MDA about both the Ipi+Temador as well as Compassionate Use Ipi.  Of course, Ipi trials will stop once the FDA apprives "Yervoy" (late March?), and then the decision about whether it is an option will be up to you and your insurance company.

Best Wishes

Jim

Jim in Denver
                                                Participant

Yes you are correct, so these two treatment options would be mutually exclusive.   You obviously are up to speed on your options, so my comments are probably not helpful.  Has Brent already received Ipi?  If not, you might ask your Doc at MDA about both the Ipi+Temador as well as Compassionate Use Ipi.  Of course, Ipi trials will stop once the FDA apprives "Yervoy" (late March?), and then the decision about whether it is an option will be up to you and your insurance company.

Best Wishes

Jim

sharmon
                                                  Participant

hi, thanks for the information>  If i am wrong on this please let me know but my understanding is no mdx 1106 if there was prior IPI used in the past and Brent has has ipi with a combo chemo in 2009

Jim in Denver
                                                  Participant

Sharon:

Not thinking clearly today – I meant to say MDX 1106.  Since Brent is currently being treated at MDA, your Oncologist there can tell you if he would be eligible for the Ipi + Temador Trial in which I am participating.  It is one of a few Ipi combination trials and is available only at MDA., so it would make sense to ask about it.   Researh into MDX 1106 is not as far along as with Ipi (also known as MDX 010 – both owned by Bristol Meyers), but it looks very promising, expecially in combination with Ipi, but it is available only at Yale Univ and MSK in NYC.  I see that Brent has already had biochemo, so that would maybe leave IL2 as another option.

Best,

Jim

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics