The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MEK in use for NRAS … Sam, Tracey, and Mark

Forums General Melanoma Community MEK in use for NRAS … Sam, Tracey, and Mark

Participant

Yesterday, I replied to this topic on its original posted question from Sam. I'm not NRAS nor BRAF, but did take MEK successfully for a few months as part of a study. The link to that study is on the original post. Buuuuuut that post is a few pages deep now, so I wanted to leave y'all an article link which just dropped into my email this morning from the European Journal of Cancer. It is an abstract specific to MEK use in NRAS patients……. although you may also wish to go back to the other post for the additional article, for a more informed explanation on how some of these mutations behave, and why MEK may work for them, even though they are not BRAF V600E or K.

MEK inhibition may increase survival of NRAS-mutated melanoma patients treated with checkpoint blockade: Results of a retrospective multicentre analysis of 364 patients — https://www.ejcancer.com/article/S0959-8049(18)30811-6/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_etoc_email

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Sorry… that link doesn't seem to be working properly. Perhaps because it was via a direct connect from my email. Anyway… here is the text content of the abstract:

Michael Constantin KirchbergerEmail the author Michael Constantin Kirchberger, Selma UgurelEmail the author Selma Ugurel, Johanna ManganaEmail the author Johanna Mangana, Markus Valentin HepptEmail the author Markus Valentin Heppt, Thomas Kurt EigentlerEmail the author Thomas Kurt Eigentler, Carola BerkingEmail the author Carola Berking, Dirk SchadendorfEmail the author Dirk Schadendorf, Gerold SchulerEmail the author Gerold Schuler, Reinhard DummerEmail the author Reinhard Dummer, Lucie Heinzerling'Correspondence information about the author Lucie Heinzerling

Highlights
          •Assessment of NRAS mutations revealed 12 different genotypes, mostly Q61 mutations (95%) with Q61L responding better to anti-PD1/ipilimumab.
          •Response rates to checkpoint inhibitor therapy are similar in NRAS mutant and NRAS wildtype/BRAF mutant melanoma patients.
          •NRAS mutant patients survived 12 months shorter compared to NRAS wildtype melanoma patients; MEK inhibitor could be beneficial toward survival.
          Abstract
          Background
          Melanoma harbours genetic alterations in genes such as BRAF, NRAS and KIT. Activating NRAS mutations are present in about 20% of melanomas. Even though BRAF mutations can be effectively targeted with specific inhibitors, this approach has proven more challenging in cases of NRAS mutations. Previous reports suggested that immunotherapy might be more successful in NRAS-mutated compared to BRAF-mutated or BRAF/NRAS wildtype melanoma.

Patients and methods
          In this study, overall survival and response to anti-PD-1 (nivolumab, pembrolizumab) and anti-CTLA-4 (ipilimumab) therapy of 364 patients with metastatic melanoma were assessed comparing 236 NRAS-mutated patients with 128 NRAS wildtype patients. Subtyping of NRAS mutation in 211 cases revealed 12 different genotypes of which Q61 mutations were predominant (95%).

Results
          Patients with NRAS mutant melanoma showed similar response rates to checkpoint inhibitor therapy compared to NRAS wildtype patients with 15% versus 13% for ipilimumab (P = 0.731), 21% versus 13% for anti-PD-1 monotherapy (P = 0.210) and 40% versus 39% for ipilimumab and anti-PD-1 therapy in combination or sequence (P = 0.859). Nevertheless, median overall survival of patients with NRAS mutant melanoma was significantly lower with 21 months compared to 33 months in NRAS wildtype melanoma patients (P = 0.034). Therapy with oral MEK inhibitors before or after checkpoint inhibitor therapy showed a trend toward a survival benefit in patients with NRAS mutant melanoma.

Conclusions
          Immune checkpoint inhibition shows comparable response rates in NRAS-mutated and NRAS wildtype melanoma even though survival is less favourable in case of NRAS mutation. Additional MEK inhibition might improve clinical benefit.

Bubbles
          Participant

Thanks for sharing, Niki.  Yes…the responses (and lack thereof!) as well as the molecular pathways involved in melanoma are nothing short of cray cray!!!  But, yes…while not as good as we need them to be there is reason to have hope and attain treatment options for NRAS folks.  Here's a post with more links within, that delves into this topic further for those who are interested: 

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/06/asco-2017-hope-for-nras-melanoma.html  

Wishing you all my best.  celeste

Mark_DC
              Participant

Dear Niki and Celeste,

thanks for thinking of us and for posting. I was not too happy with the results of the studies but thanks for remembering us!

that said, i am not sure about these studies. In Niki’s paper the response rates seem pretty low, both for NRAS and non NRAS, lower than in other studies, so am not sure these are correct. Also the lower survival rates for NRAS are disappointing so i hope they are not true

from the abstract I dont see where the conclusion to take MEK inhibitors comes from – how this is this justified. also the authors of this paper are the same as the authors of celestes second paper – where the response rates were higher, presumably for a similar cohort.

Celestes first paper shows a little more promise, in that it seems to show that some NRAS patients who had not done well on immunotherapy did OK with MEK inhibitors with either partial response or stable disease.

when my team was brainstorming (without me!) what to do next given my lack of response to pembro (Stable disease / slight worsening) i think one of them (the most senior) was thinking of giving MEK a try. I guess this was based on the findings of Celeste’s first paper (although only phase 1/2) – which i guess shows they were looking out for me and being imaginative.

in the end, since my disease burden (thankfully and so far so good, dont want to jinx it) we were going to do surgery, but then after a second opinion (and begging insurance) we decided to add tvec to pembro first then surgery if this fails. This tvec pembro combo seems to be working, at least its a partial response (and thus I am a fan of intralesionals plus pembro) 

before re-reading these posts i was under the impression that Immunotherapy tended to work better for NRAS, but the German authored posts suggest this is not correct, that NRAS does not lead to a higher probability of success, that its the same as for everyone else.

if fellow board members find any articles on NRAS if will be great if you can post – and thank you niki and celeste very much for doing this – i wish researchers would look at our mutation as well as BRAF

Thank you and best wishes

Mark

ed williams
                Participant

Hi Mark, glad things with t-vec + pembro are working, as far as the study from Niki, it is retrospective( looking back at old patients and data) and when doc do this they are usually looking for trends or ideas that they can then do a prospective trial where they control for that specific drug or condition that they came across in the retrospective data. So, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in data from retrospective papers. I did come across a company out of Philadelphia called "The Wistar Institute" who seem to have some paper out of NRAS research. Here are two links with the condition that I don't know a lot about their research or reputation, they look good, maybe others are more familiar with the Institute. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-combination-therapy-effective-nras-mutant.html           https://wistar.org/about-wistar

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

It is a little odd to me, that they fail to explain why MEK may show greater survival duration. They didn't even reference out to other studies showing why they came to that conclusion. This abstract is a little confusing, in that they looked at only NRAS patients. Following Celeste's link shows us that NRAS patients actually do RESPOND (overall) very similarly to checkpoint inhibitors as patients with other mutations. This paper points out that NRAS mutant versus NRAS wildtype (so I guess you'd have to know a deeper cut into "what kind" of NRAS you have) patients have lower overall survival duration. This is why the suggestion to perhaps try MEK in NRAS mutant patents upon recurrence or failure. I suppose they've basically left the option open for NRAS wildtype… as they don't really say, other than to note that NRAS mutant folks MIGHT extend overall survival duration to similar statistical outcomes as NRAS wildtype's. 

Looking over Ed's article links, it appears that along with the folks in Germany, the docs in Philly are searching deeper into helping NRAS patients who recur or don't respond… just as other institutions are focusing on BRAF patients who recur or don't respond. I'm sure there are also those out there searching for why those of use with "none of the above" do or do not respond. The kick in the shorts, is that the statistics seem to point to very similar response rates across the board on all types (more specifically all CUTANEOUS types, as mucosal and ocular are a whoooooole different breed of their own). This is where MEK gets interesting, because even across cancer types, researchers have seen enough interesting anecdotal success, that they are digging deeper into who, what, why, and how it can be of help. 

It's a tricky "game" to hook patients into sometimes, because unless docs and researchers can get a funded trial going, patients are either left funding their own off label shot at the meds, ooooor… some creative wording used for clearance with insurance company "standards of care" payment policies. 

As mentioned before, I'm not BRAF (not the traditional type found in 50%) and I'm not NRAS (of any variety). Odds of response to and overall survival with checkpoint inhibitors in me, were as good (or bad!) as any. MEK worked like a charm for the few months that I was on it. I'm sure my doc could detail "why". He has given me the general overgloss, but I never asked for the detailed biology lesson. ha! It's all part of the mutant dna puzzle that doesn't SEEM to occur in enough patients to make it a slam dunk project to get funding for. The good news, is that they have been picking through these ideas and trying to flesh them out further since at least 2014/2015… probably longer. The bad news being, that seems like a forever eternity to those who need the "next step" NOW. 

Good to hear that TVEC is doing a nice job of things for you. I used to joke with my doc about allowing him to potentially "give me herpes" one day. ha! He opted for the MEK first. LOL! At that time, the brain lesions were limiting options due to potential side effect risk levels. 

Just keep in mind, that although statistics don't always look like they're skewing in our favor… someone has to be the "statistical deviant". 😉 

Bubbles
                  Participant

To all, 

I really don't think that news re treatment for NRAS-mutant is all gloom and doom.  However, until each and every one of you (and all the other garden varieties of melanoma!!!) are treated successfully, I will keep turning over all the rocks I can find.  Today, I posted this:  

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-possible-option-for-nras-mutant.html

The data is from mice and not that informative…but….for what it's worth!  At least researchers continue their work in this area!!  Hang tough, guys!  Happy summer!!! – c

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

We need a "like" button here. 🙂 

Mark_DC
                        Participant

Agree on the need for a like button! Thanks for your postings and for finding these links. I had read them earlier but on my ipad and my typing on that is terrible! Now am on the computer.

I guess I have mixed feelings:

– its good the Wistar people are looking into NRAS, as it seems that few are looking into this mutatation. However, the intros to their research sound all gloom and doom, not exactly uplifting.

– on the MEK – I dont really understand this, but it seems that maybe MEK works for non BRAF people as well – maybe for NRAS and maybe too for Niki who has neither BRAF nor NRAS. So perhaps thats why one of my doctors on the tumour board (the senior one – I never met him) was suggesting MEK I think together with my keytruda

– in the end we went for tvec + pembro instead of surgery. since i only have one tumour (I hope!) plus pembro worked to dissolve a second tumour this seemed to make sense – try to get the thing inflamed and get the pembro to work again

its a weird idea being injected with (dead) herpes virus but it seemed to make sense

it does seem to be working, certainly not getting worse, but its taking time – seems that if I am a responder I am a slowish one. its also scary because every two weeks my tumour is measured by ultrasound so they know where and how much to inject. the ultrasound does not quite match the mri readings but it means i get mini scanxiety every two weeks. at first it was actually growing but i hoped this was inflammation and pseduo progression. now it is shrinking but who knows if it will actually disappear – i have to pray for such a miracle.

thanks to all of you, niki, ed (I saw your photo finally, I am too shy!) and celeste for digging up NRAS stuff

my take on having NRAS is that this solves the decision of whether to do BRAF inhibitors first or go to immunotherapy – we have to do the latter. it would be nice to know whether our response rates are better or worse (why no study on this?) – i was hoping we had slightly better response rates but maybe thats wrong and we may be lucky to have the same response rate

thanks very much for your help and for looking into this

I can at least remember wistar if i need new options

best wishes Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics