The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Medicare update Grrrrrrr!

Forums General Melanoma Community Medicare update Grrrrrrr!

Participant

Today I got in touch with the Medicare coodinator and found out that NO approval is needed if you have "original Medicare" and NOT Advantage plan and that I was told incorectly that I was not "approved" and should have had my first Ippi treatment yesterday. Somehow the Nurses and doctor had the wrong infomation and communications were messed up. I don't know who was at fault..but it is over and after I gave her a pretty strong lecture about better communications.. I was able to schedule my first treatment for Monday…hoppefully all will go without a hitch.

Today I got in touch with the Medicare coodinator and found out that NO approval is needed if you have "original Medicare" and NOT Advantage plan and that I was told incorectly that I was not "approved" and should have had my first Ippi treatment yesterday. Somehow the Nurses and doctor had the wrong infomation and communications were messed up. I don't know who was at fault..but it is over and after I gave her a pretty strong lecture about better communications.. I was able to schedule my first treatment for Monday…hoppefully all will go without a hitch. I have both Medicare and a Medigap policy.. this mess should not have happened. Please be proactive people!

Joan

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

Joan, so happy it all turned out okay, I think everyone should be proactive in their health care all the time. Praying your treatment goes well.

yoopergirl
          Participant

Joan, so happy it all turned out okay, I think everyone should be proactive in their health care all the time. Praying your treatment goes well.

yoopergirl
            Participant

SteveBMe
              Participant

Hi Joan.

Sorry you got the "screw" on Medicare info.

During my time, I was on Medicare– I suppose it was the "original" as I had no gap-filler plans– everything that was needed was paid– except my lymphatic compression stockings. I was without insurance for 5 years, and only on Medicare Parts A and B, and was so glad when I returned to work and was able to get new stockings… now Obamacare has screwed it all up again, and my plan's deductibles have gone through the roof, essentially leaving my wife and I with no insurance, and paying 2400 a year for the pleasure….

If you have breast involvement, there was a plan signed by Clinton in 1998 that might cover all your needs.

As messy as it is– becoming your own patient advocate– unless you can find a really good one– will be your best plan. I hated it, but I got what I needed.

Oh, I remember… doh! Patient Advocate Foundation in Virginia.

http://www.npaf.org

They might be able to help.

Best– hang in there… as long as we're alive, there is hope.

SteveBMe
                Participant

Hi Joan.

During my time, I was on Medicare– I suppose it was the "original" as I had no gap-filler plans– everything that was needed was paid– except my lymphatic compression stockings. I was without insurance for 5 years, and only on Medicare Parts A and B, and was so glad when I returned to work and was able to get new stockings… now Obamacare has screwed it all up again, and my plan's deductibles have gone through the roof, essentially leaving my wife and I with no insurance, and paying 2400 a year for the pleasure….

If you have breast involvement, there was a plan signed by Clinton in 1998 that might cover all your needs.

As messy as it is– becoming your own patient advocate– unless you can find a really good one– will be your best plan. I hated it, but I got what I needed.

SteveBMe
                  Participant

Hi Joan.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics