The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

medicare coverage for melanoma care

Forums General Melanoma Community medicare coverage for melanoma care

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

I had to quit work last month and decided to pay for ongoing private health insurance through COBRA at the cost of $654 a month for me and my two kids in college. We have a $10,000 family deductible. I also have medicare, part A and part B. I have learned that if I let the private insurance go I can still sign up for part D even though the open enrollment period has ended. My question is this: Will medicare cover all the neccessary medical care I need for melanoma, that I am used to having? Ie PET/CT scans when the doctor requests them (I have had frequent given my history), and I am in the middle of the IPI trial (the drug is covered by BMS, the pharmaceutical company). What if I end up having to do bio chemo? What about other treatments, or second opinions (they are still talking leg amputation). What about leg amputation?? I called my medical center financial office and they said to call the "estimate line" and tell them what procedures I specifically wanted to know, they would then give me the procedure code and I could then call medicare and ask them the specific procedure code. Ok I am doing that. But I dont know ALL the procedure codes to ask, or what I would maybe need??

I would like to hear from people who have only had medicare and what their experiences have been or anyone who knows about this such stuff!!!

Thanks!!!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Allen C
        Participant

Hello Vermont Donna.   I am Allen C  in Miami FL. I have been stage IV since 1999 and have been covered by medicare since that time and have had only one problem with my insurance. If you would like to I can call you at your convience and tell you all aout it.  Send me your e-mail address and we can go from there. Have had numerous CAT's, PET's, CHemo and also Cyberknife treatments.  I am currently since November NED but have been through it all

SIncerely Allen

Allen C
          Participant

Hello Vermont Donna.   I am Allen C  in Miami FL. I have been stage IV since 1999 and have been covered by medicare since that time and have had only one problem with my insurance. If you would like to I can call you at your convience and tell you all aout it.  Send me your e-mail address and we can go from there. Have had numerous CAT's, PET's, CHemo and also Cyberknife treatments.  I am currently since November NED but have been through it all

SIncerely Allen

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics