The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Medical Oncology Visit Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Medical Oncology Visit Update

Participant

Went to see Joe's medical oncologist yesterday.  So at present he is stage IIIA, and interferon vs completion of lynph node dissection.  With Interferon having a low percent success rate and the controversial data out there on the surgery….a decision has been made for 3 month observations, alternating between surgical oncologist, medical oncology and dermatology.  Yesterday they drew a LDH, metabolic panel and a re-evaluation of the tissue samples from surgery for BRAF mutation.

Went to see Joe's medical oncologist yesterday.  So at present he is stage IIIA, and interferon vs completion of lynph node dissection.  With Interferon having a low percent success rate and the controversial data out there on the surgery….a decision has been made for 3 month observations, alternating between surgical oncologist, medical oncology and dermatology.  Yesterday they drew a LDH, metabolic panel and a re-evaluation of the tissue samples from surgery for BRAF mutation.  Next week he will have an MRI of the brain and CT with contrast of the Chest, Abdoman/Pelvis, followed with Dermatologist appt. then seeing surgical oncologist the following day….who said you slow down during retirement!

Hoping for the best….always 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoWen
        Participant

My last sentence needs an explanation…Joe has insisted that I must continue to be the person that always makes him laugh…lately there has been more tears than laughter….so please I hope that no one takes offense by the comment I made about slowing down and retirement….I would feel awful if it was upsetting to anyone.

Wendy

JoWen
          Participant

My last sentence needs an explanation…Joe has insisted that I must continue to be the person that always makes him laugh…lately there has been more tears than laughter….so please I hope that no one takes offense by the comment I made about slowing down and retirement….I would feel awful if it was upsetting to anyone.

Wendy

hbecker
              Participant

Wendy, no apologies needed. I retired completely from a part-time freelance business when Robert was diagnosed – and I can't believe how busy I am!!

Keep us posted – and keep laughing!

~Hazel

JoWen
                Participant

Thank you Hazel smiley

JoWen
                  Participant

Thank you Hazel smiley

JoWen
                    Participant

Thank you Hazel smiley

hbecker
                      Participant

Wendy, no apologies needed. I retired completely from a part-time freelance business when Robert was diagnosed – and I can't believe how busy I am!!

~Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

~Hazel

JoWen
                        Participant

Wendy

Colleen66
                          Participant

Wendy,

It looks like you've got a good plan.  Get thru all the scans, more blood work.  Make sure you do see the dermatologist also.  After my treatment I had a couple moles that weren't right.  Sure enough biopsy said atypical Nevis and sliced em right out.  Take some time to calm your brains now.  Things are in motion and soon enough you will have some options.  

Let us know how it goes.

Good thoughts and prayers for you and Joe,

Colleen 

P.S.  Did you like Dr O?

JoWen
                              Participant

Colleen,

Yes I agree with you….we really do need to get our brains to calm down.  He has several other moles that I am anxious for her to examine.  Dr. O and his staff were wonderful…..and just like Dr. A, I know Joe is in good hands.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers….. we send the same to you.

Wendy

JoWen
                                Participant

Colleen,

Yes I agree with you….we really do need to get our brains to calm down.  He has several other moles that I am anxious for her to examine.  Dr. O and his staff were wonderful…..and just like Dr. A, I know Joe is in good hands.

Wendy

JoWen
                                  Participant

Colleen,

Wendy

Colleen66
                                  Participant

Wendy,

It looks like you've got a good plan.  Get thru all the scans, more blood work.  Make sure you do see the dermatologist also.  After my treatment I had a couple moles that weren't right.  Sure enough biopsy said atypical Nevis and sliced em right out.  Take some time to calm your brains now.  Things are in motion and soon enough you will have some options.  

Let us know how it goes.

Colleen 

P.S.  Did you like Dr O?

Colleen66
                                    Participant

Wendy,

Let us know how it goes.

Colleen 

P.S.  Did you like Dr O?

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

My older brother-in-law told me that if I had anything I wanted to get done in life, I'd better get ti done BEFORE i retired.  Told me that I wouldn't have atime aafterwards.  SO TRUE.

We appreciate humkor here, without it liofe would be much worse.One of the tales I have repeated a few times is when my   Pastor told me that no"No one gets out of life alive, I asked if he didn't belive the Bible?  He looked at me rather weird, so I asked about EZEKIEL.  The Pastor looked at me and said, "I don't think you are in the same catagory!"

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

My older brother-in-law told me that if I had anything I wanted to get done in life, I'd better get ti done BEFORE i retired.  Told me that I wouldn't have atime aafterwards.  SO TRUE.

We appreciate humkor here, without it liofe would be much worse.One of the tales I have repeated a few times is when my   Pastor told me that no"No one gets out of life alive, I asked if he didn't belive the Bible?  He looked at me rather weird, so I asked about EZEKIEL.  The Pastor looked at me and said, "I don't think you are in the same catagory!"

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

JoWen
                                              Participant

Thank you Jerry

JoWen
                                                Participant

Thank you Jerry

JoWen
                                                  Participant

Thank you Jerry

JoWen
                                                    Participant

Thank you Jerry smiley

JoWen
                                                      Participant

Thank you Jerry smiley

JoWen
                                                        Participant

Thank you Jerry smiley

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics