The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Medical Oncologist Suggestions – Pittsburgh and Boston

Forums General Melanoma Community Medical Oncologist Suggestions – Pittsburgh and Boston

Participant

Hi all!

I'm finally at the stage where I'm ready to meet with the medical oncologist.  My surgical oncologist, who I think is really great, has been handling my case so far.  I had a 1.25 mm mole on my arm, Clarks IV, 1/20 lymph nodes with a microsite, so Stage 3A.   Mole was on my arm for approx 5 – 8 years.

First, I know I'm incredibly lucky, if you ware going to be Stage 3, only 1 microsite in 1 lymph node is awesome.  But, I'm only 29; therefore, we would prefer to be more aggressive than just wait and see, if possible.

My finace and I live in Pittsburgh, PA.  However, we are not originally from here, and have quite a few other cities that we can travel to and potentially live for a few months or longer if needed.  My finace works for himself so we can be pretty flexible.  He is from Boston, so our original thought was Boston on Pittsburgh – but we are open to other suggestions if the treatment option fits. 

My surgical oncologist will set me up with a medical oncologist at either UPMC Hillman Center, or Allegheny General.  At a minimum I was planning on going to Boston for a 2nd Opinion before making any final decisions on treatment (i.e. interferon).

I have read / been advised by others that I should see Dr. John Kirkwood and/or Dr. Ahmad Tarhini at UMPC, but my dr mentioned that these may not be the best dr's for me b/c of personality differences – I think he alluded to the 2 recommendations being more straight shooters, which I'm not sure is a bad thing.

I would really appreciate any advise you all can give – but specifically Pittsburgh and Boston medical oncologist recommendations.

Thanks everyone!!!

Lilly

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        gostan
        Participant

Dr. F. Stephen Hodi at Dana Farber.

gostan
          Participant

gostan
            Participant

bj63
              Participant

UPMC is one of the foremost Melanoma treatment centers in the country.  My local oncologist referred me specifically to Dr. Kirkwood, so I'm driving from over 3 1/2 hours away for appointments to consult with him about my own case.

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that you would be crazy for not taking advantage of such a tremendous resource, especially since you're in the area.  Any Stage III Melanoma is nothing to take lightly.  If I knew then (when I was Stage III) what I know now (when I'm stage IV), I would have gone to an expert like Dr. Kirkwood and asked about enrolling in some kind of Adjuvant Therapy clinical trial, possibly with one of the immunotherapies like PD1 or Ipilumimab.

And maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't be stage IV now.

Just my opinion, of course.

bj63

bj63
                Participant

UPMC is one of the foremost Melanoma treatment centers in the country.  My local oncologist referred me specifically to Dr. Kirkwood, so I'm driving from over 3 1/2 hours away for appointments to consult with him about my own case.

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that you would be crazy for not taking advantage of such a tremendous resource, especially since you're in the area.  Any Stage III Melanoma is nothing to take lightly.  If I knew then (when I was Stage III) what I know now (when I'm stage IV), I would have gone to an expert like Dr. Kirkwood and asked about enrolling in some kind of Adjuvant Therapy clinical trial, possibly with one of the immunotherapies like PD1 or Ipilumimab.

bj63

bj63
                  Participant

bj63

Linny
                    Participant

I agree with bj63 in that you would be crazy to not take advantage of that melanoma center in Pittsburgh. It's one of 6 melanoma treatment centers in the state. You have 4 in Philadelphia, one in Bethlehem and then the one at Pittsburgh.

Also, don't rule out Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland over in Baltimore. Those two may be closer to you than Dana Farber.

Also suggest doing research on the pros and cons of Interferon for melanoma treatment. It's got a number of nasty side effects and it's not much more effective than frequent observation. Some folks don't want to be laid up for a year feeling lousy and dealing with side effects while other feel they need to do SOMEthing. It's matter of personal choice. That being said, Interferon is becoming "old school".

Cooper
                        Participant

Boston is tops for research and doctors who specialize in melanoma.  Kirkwood is known for pushing interferon and set up a phone line with nurses for interferon with the company that owns it.  He is finally starting to back down on this but that's what he is known for in melanoma period this old drug.

Mass General has Keith Flaherty and others who did the pioneer work on BRAF and the newest therapies that are making patients live longer with less bad side effects.

Cooper
                          Participant

Boston is tops for research and doctors who specialize in melanoma.  Kirkwood is known for pushing interferon and set up a phone line with nurses for interferon with the company that owns it.  He is finally starting to back down on this but that's what he is known for in melanoma period this old drug.

Mass General has Keith Flaherty and others who did the pioneer work on BRAF and the newest therapies that are making patients live longer with less bad side effects.

Cooper
                            Participant

Tina D
                              Participant

I will say that I saw Dr. Kirkwood and started on interferon a few yrs ago. He was nice, but I did not feel like he was upfront about all aspects of interferon and really did feel I was manipulated into going on the treatment ( and that under false pretenses). It was his pioneering research, so that may be part of the reason. Have never seen him for anything else, so I cannot comment outside of that.

Tina D
                                Participant

I will say that I saw Dr. Kirkwood and started on interferon a few yrs ago. He was nice, but I did not feel like he was upfront about all aspects of interferon and really did feel I was manipulated into going on the treatment ( and that under false pretenses). It was his pioneering research, so that may be part of the reason. Have never seen him for anything else, so I cannot comment outside of that.

Tina D
                                  Participant

Linny
                                  Participant

I agree with bj63 in that you would be crazy to not take advantage of that melanoma center in Pittsburgh. It's one of 6 melanoma treatment centers in the state. You have 4 in Philadelphia, one in Bethlehem and then the one at Pittsburgh.

Also, don't rule out Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland over in Baltimore. Those two may be closer to you than Dana Farber.

Also suggest doing research on the pros and cons of Interferon for melanoma treatment. It's got a number of nasty side effects and it's not much more effective than frequent observation. Some folks don't want to be laid up for a year feeling lousy and dealing with side effects while other feel they need to do SOMEthing. It's matter of personal choice. That being said, Interferon is becoming "old school".

Linny
                                    Participant

Lil0909
                                      Participant

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it.  Seeing Dr. Kirkwood soon.

Lil0909
                                        Participant

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it.  Seeing Dr. Kirkwood soon.

Lil0909
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics