The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MDA travel question

Forums General Melanoma Community MDA travel question

Participant

For the first time in 6 years, I am going to fly to MDA instead of drive. I'm on annual check up of chest x-ray and blood work only. My Dr. appt is at noon on a Monday in October. We will have a rental car to return at the airport. I'd like to take the 5:30 flight home. Do you think that's pushing it? There is also a 6:30 and 7:00 flight home but they cost more and get in later. I know the hospital has travel services with Continental and they waive the rescheduling fee if you have to change your flight.

For the first time in 6 years, I am going to fly to MDA instead of drive. I'm on annual check up of chest x-ray and blood work only. My Dr. appt is at noon on a Monday in October. We will have a rental car to return at the airport. I'd like to take the 5:30 flight home. Do you think that's pushing it? There is also a 6:30 and 7:00 flight home but they cost more and get in later. I know the hospital has travel services with Continental and they waive the rescheduling fee if you have to change your flight. But they are twice the price of Southwest so I'd like to book through them. I will be my Doctor's first appointment of the day so he shouldn't be behind, especially since my only tests are xray and lab. Do you think 5 1/2 hours is enough time between Dr. appt and flight time, assuming there is nothing found on x-ray and bloodwork and nothing to really discuss further? We're usually in and out pretty quick but I am not familiar with the Houston airport and how long it takes to get there from the hospital, return the car, and get through security. Thanks for any opinions.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jyc
        Participant

I'm from Houston.  If you fly Continental, you'll fly out of Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). The airport is approx. 45min away on the north side of town and the security lines are busier.  If you're flying out at 5:30, you'll need to be out of MDA by 3pm.  If you fly Southwest, you'll fly out of Houston Hobby (HOU) which is about 20min away from MDA and is closer to the medical center.  The airport is significantly smaller and security lines usually are shorter.  I'm not familiar with the rental car situation but I know that the rental car return at Bush is off site and you'll need to take a shuttle to the terminal once you drop off the car.

jyc
            Participant

I forgot to mention that we're in a sever heat wave here in Texas and our daily high temps are in the 100's.  Just be prepared for a sizzling time.

Jamietk
              Participant

Thank you for the info. It sounds like a noon appt and a 5:30 flight out of Hobby should be ok. I hope the temps are cooler by then, but I know you all have had it rough this summer. I whined about our 3 week heat wave in the midwest in July/beginning of Aug. I hate the heat.

Jamietk
                Participant

Thank you for the info. It sounds like a noon appt and a 5:30 flight out of Hobby should be ok. I hope the temps are cooler by then, but I know you all have had it rough this summer. I whined about our 3 week heat wave in the midwest in July/beginning of Aug. I hate the heat.

jyc
                  Participant

I forgot to mention that we're in a sever heat wave here in Texas and our daily high temps are in the 100's.  Just be prepared for a sizzling time.

jyc
                  Participant

I'm from Houston.  If you fly Continental, you'll fly out of Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). The airport is approx. 45min away on the north side of town and the security lines are busier.  If you're flying out at 5:30, you'll need to be out of MDA by 3pm.  If you fly Southwest, you'll fly out of Houston Hobby (HOU) which is about 20min away from MDA and is closer to the medical center.  The airport is significantly smaller and security lines usually are shorter.  I'm not familiar with the rental car situation but I know that the rental car return at Bush is off site and you'll need to take a shuttle to the terminal once you drop off the car.

jackiewin
                    Participant

Southwest is very good to patients at MDA.  If you find you might be able to catch an earlier flight, jut show up at the aiport and bring your MDA schedule with you.  If you have to catch a later flight, call them and reschedule.  Also, don't forget that MDA schedule.  You probably will have to show it to make changes without paying any additional monies.

Jackie W

jackiewin
                      Participant

Southwest is very good to patients at MDA.  If you find you might be able to catch an earlier flight, jut show up at the aiport and bring your MDA schedule with you.  If you have to catch a later flight, call them and reschedule.  Also, don't forget that MDA schedule.  You probably will have to show it to make changes without paying any additional monies.

Jackie W

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics