The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MD Anderson and Hurricane Harvey

Forums General Melanoma Community MD Anderson and Hurricane Harvey

Participant

Hi all,

Sorry, haven't been on in a while after Josh passed away, just too sad.  But we just came through Harvey here in Houston and rain has stopped.  We live just south of the Med Center where MD Anderson is located. I know MD Anderson had to evacuate and not sure if there are any patients from the board that need place to stay or help of any kind.  The roads should clear soon and my husband and I can help with anything that's needed, transportation, food, extra room, coordination help etc.  Not sure if anyone from the board are currently getting treatment here, but if you need anything, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or [email protected].  

Hugs

Jackie

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Just wanted to say you and your husband are good souls.  That's extremely thoughtful!

Bubbles
            Participant

Amen! c

MichelleRHG
            Participant
              I had appointments scheduled for this week. My oncologist k7dt called to touch base and said I might get rescheduled in a couple of weeks. Do you know if I’d be able yo get from,the airport to the hospital by then? I forgot to ask her!
                jbronicki
                Participant
                  Hey Michelle, the airport are opening back up and I was on highways today, most flooding is gone. So you should be able to travel here. Do you need ride from airport or a place to stay??? I can drive or provide room if you need it. I’m not sure if hotel will be open since many flooded. Just let me know, will gladly help. we
                  kst
                  Participant

Thanks for the highway update. Their website shows they are closed through Friday but they called last night to verify we would be there for our radiation treatment this morning. I was afraid I might need to bring a boat based on what we are seeing in NE Texas  

jbronicki
                    Participant

Hey KST,

My husband works at the Baylor Genetics lab which is right by MD Anderson and he went to work starting yesterday, the area is definitely passable and my guess is that they have limited staff at all these places (since many employees are so affected by the storm and may have lost houses and had to be evacuated themselves).  So I'm guessing they are operating but not fully and priortizing who they can treat from the outside at this point based on severity.  I'm going to drive to MD Anderson today hopefully to visit a friends mother later.  Here is best link to Houston roads https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/ (but even this isn't updated enough, they don't have the manpower to keep all these things updated!), they only show one area right now that still has water in Houston but my guess is that this is old information.  It's kind of hard to fathom what this all looked like two days ago and once the water goes down it's a different scene (at least on the roads, but not in the buildings.  Do you need anything today?  I should be in that area all afternoon?

kst
                      Participant

Thanks, we made it w without any issues.  No flooding issues at hospital that I could see.

MichelleRHG
                        Participant
                          You are so kind! Usually I take uber and stay at the Rotary House. I don’t know if I will have anyone traveling with me this time, which is intimidating since I will have scans and RESULTS while there. If I’m alone I may reach out to you to have coffee or something. Thank you for offering. So sweet!
                          jbronicki
                          Participant

Hey Michelle,

Seriously, feel free to ask me for anything.  It helps me more to help others and if you are coming alone will gladly help in any way I can from transportation to coffee.  I'm also really GOOD in a waiting room and i understand scanxiety pretty well too!  i have it every time my husband goes for his but I also tend to read a lot of research too (I'm one of those who finds research soothing) as a previous medical librarian.

Just let me know!  

Viewing 1 reply thread
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics