The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MD Anderson 2nd Opinion

Forums General Melanoma Community MD Anderson 2nd Opinion

Participant

Just wondering if anybody knows what MDA tests for with the pathology slides you send them for a second opinion?  My dad is stage IV and didn't have to send pathology slides to the other 2nd opinion he got at the Angeles Clinic.  Thanks in advance 🙂

Just wondering if anybody knows what MDA tests for with the pathology slides you send them for a second opinion?  My dad is stage IV and didn't have to send pathology slides to the other 2nd opinion he got at the Angeles Clinic.  Thanks in advance 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I have never gone to MDA but I have gotten 2nd opinions and different hospitals. They have always wanted my past slides to read them with their own pathologists.  It never hurts to have another set of eyes to reread the pathology. 

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I have never gone to MDA but I have gotten 2nd opinions and different hospitals. They have always wanted my past slides to read them with their own pathologists.  It never hurts to have another set of eyes to reread the pathology. 

Linda

skysar
            Participant
              I have been a patient at MDA since August and they requested all slides, reports ,etc. It’s a great place and would recommend a second opinion from MDA.

Sue
              Hotlanta

skysar
              Participant
                I have been a patient at MDA since August and they requested all slides, reports ,etc. It’s a great place and would recommend a second opinion from MDA.

Sue
                Hotlanta

LynnLuc
                Participant

When I went to Fred Hutchinson they tested it for the immunophenotypes-like I am GP-100 positive, Mart 1 positiveetc etc…When I went to the NIH they requested 20 unstained slides…they told me were testing for antigens and other proteins specific to the trial and wanted to test for the immunophenotypes. They said they do not routinely check for mutations  unless it is needed for a specific trial. I had blood work done in which they tested for my specific HLA's.

When I went to Moffitt they also wanted unstained slides ( as they also do their own labs on them) and they needed to check for antigens and protiens and immunophenotypes….they also said they did not check for mutations as it wasn't needed for the trial I am on…they did say would test for specific mutations later as needed…

LynnLuc
                  Participant

When I went to Fred Hutchinson they tested it for the immunophenotypes-like I am GP-100 positive, Mart 1 positiveetc etc…When I went to the NIH they requested 20 unstained slides…they told me were testing for antigens and other proteins specific to the trial and wanted to test for the immunophenotypes. They said they do not routinely check for mutations  unless it is needed for a specific trial. I had blood work done in which they tested for my specific HLA's.

When I went to Moffitt they also wanted unstained slides ( as they also do their own labs on them) and they needed to check for antigens and protiens and immunophenotypes….they also said they did not check for mutations as it wasn't needed for the trial I am on…they did say would test for specific mutations later as needed…

Acutelvn
                    Participant

Yes they reexamine and if needed restage they slides and other tests. I have been to MD Anderson as well as UAMS where they also requested previous slides. My initial diagnosis of stage II-b apparently was wrong. I was stage IV from the beginning according to MD Anderson records. They will do a good job there. Be sure to ask if you qualify for clinical trials. I have only had surgeries and scans, I never qualified for treatment or trials for multiple reasons. 

Acutelvn
                      Participant

Yes they reexamine and if needed restage they slides and other tests. I have been to MD Anderson as well as UAMS where they also requested previous slides. My initial diagnosis of stage II-b apparently was wrong. I was stage IV from the beginning according to MD Anderson records. They will do a good job there. Be sure to ask if you qualify for clinical trials. I have only had surgeries and scans, I never qualified for treatment or trials for multiple reasons. 

deirgey
                        Participant

I guess there is a reason to get a second opinion!  Thanks for all the info.  We are very new to this process. 

Deidre

deirgey
                          Participant

I guess there is a reason to get a second opinion!  Thanks for all the info.  We are very new to this process. 

Deidre

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics