The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Maybe a story will help this place

Forums General Melanoma Community Maybe a story will help this place

Participant

Flying Bugs

by SirWilho

"Tara dumped me," I say to brother Bishop.  "She dumped you???," replied Bishop, "yep," says me.  "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha," Bishop taunts. 

Flying Bugs

by SirWilho

"Tara dumped me," I say to brother Bishop.  "She dumped you???," replied Bishop, "yep," says me.  "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha," Bishop taunts. 

I believe it was the summer of 1982 when this all came about, 30 years ago and it's still burned in my brain.  Woe was me to endure the pain, humiliation and disgrace of being tossed aside like a banana peel.  

Tara was actually brother Bishop's girlfriend, but he dumped her in exchange for someone new.  All the girls loved Bishops feathered hair, quirky smile and quick wit.  The chest hair showing from a shirt unbuttoned down to his navel really had them all twitterpated and they flocked to him like a seagull to McDonalds.

The reality of my demise with Tara was that she exploited me by trying to make Bishop jealous and 'going out' with his brother.  Her plan didn't work so she dropped me like a hot rock.  The only one that got screwed in this whole interaction was me, and so began the first callous on my virgin heart.

This wasn't the first time Bishop's antics caused me grief.  The previous winter a new girl moved to the lake. Rosie was her name, and she was intriguing.  My mom called her Pineapple because Rosie claimed to be Polish and Hawaiian.  We thought it fascinating to be around a girl of her mix.  Her hair was black as coal and afflicted with Menkes Syndrome, which means it was very kinky.  Big pouty lips and a complexion very similar to that of an African American with a voice that spoke with perfect Ebonic style.  We had never seen a Polish Hawaiian American before so she received a lot of attention from us boys.  Bishop's curiosity was piqued by her and it wasn't long before they could be seen walking hand in hand along the lake. 

I have mentioned before that Bishop loved to work on cars or trucks and this hobby always gave him greasy, dirty hands.  One day, neighbor Stevie and I were spying on them and we were sure they looked to be in the throes of a deep make out session.  We ran up to them hollering, "Kotcha!!!" and "Busted!!!" Bishop nonchalantly says that they weren't doing 'nuttin', and to shut up or he would pound us, so we closed our yaps. 

Bishop was still in denial over his involvement with Pineapple so she started to walk away.  The girl looked good that day, her hair all kinky and bushy, the pouty lips, and was wearing a cool pair of snow white pants.  We, of course, were checking her out as she turned to walk home and then Stevie and I started laughing.  Those white pants told no lies and perfectly placed across one butt cheek was the mark of a greasy handprint.  Bishop was busted. 

This was a long story just to tell you that Bishop dumped her too and she also tried to make him jealous with me.  It didn't work for her either but I wasn't hurt when we 'broke up' since my involvement with her was strictly for the purpose of getting my hand print on the other cheek where Bishop laid claim.  Little FYI for ya… no, it never happened.

I had to digress for a moment with the Pineapple girl story but now will revert back to the heart breaking Tara experience. 

I'm dumped and sad, Bishop is upbeat and happy, brother Gump is looking for something to do and neighbor Richie has the ride. 

A plan is hatched and went something like this; We all pile into Richie's VW Bug and explore uncharted roads through the deep woods of Wisconsin.  It was a simple plan since the Wisconsin border was only 3 miles away and our destination was Sach's bar, a mere 7 miles after the border.  Now, 10 miles isn't far on a highway but our route used side roads, snowmobile trails and maybe even a couple deer trails. 

For the record, I wasn't really into the adventure due to my morose mood but the thought of a Whiskey Seven sure seemed to liven my spirits. 

We cruised down the dirt roads with reckless abandon. Aldo Nova, Scorpions and AC/DC pounded out of our downed windows as we sang "I've got Big Balls, You've Got Big Balls, We've Got The Biggest Balls Of Them All". 

Tires chattered as we rounded corners laced with washboard gravel and big plumes of dust rolled behind us in our quest for drink.  The ride took about an hour, in daylight, and we congratulated ourselves on good navigation and driving skills.

It was now dark and time to drown my sorrows.  There was just one little problem… I was 14.  In 1982, a person had to be 18 years old to drink in Wisconsin.

Brother Gump was 18 so he gave me his old license that had the corner clipped off and said I should be, 'good to go'.  Bishop unbuttoned his shirt some more so he was fine and Richie would have to sneak a drink or two.

We walked in like we owned the place and then huddled in the corner.  All eyes seemed to follow me since I looked so young and my baby face wasn't even afflicted with the tell-tale signs of puberty.

Our group pounded about 3 drinks each and soon ran out of money.  The adventure was deemed a success so we went about our way back home. 

I ponder about why we didn't just take the main road home instead of our adventure trail but it seemed like a no-brainer at the time and off we zoomed in Richies Bug.

Pretty much the same story as we drove back, music blaring, chattering tires, singing, etc.  The only thing different was the darkness, real dark, dark like Rosie's hair dark. 

Zoom, zoom, zoom all over the trails we went, so much so in fact, I was sure we passed the same sign three times.  The fourth time we approached the sign I called it…. "We're lost."  "Hmmmm," we all sighed in unison.

Gump really doesn't have a care in the world over this problem and starts chanting on the top of his lungs for the trees to hear, "Wedafugowwee, Wedafugowwe, Wedafugoweee," then laughs and says we are a new tribe of Indians.  Yeah…. hilarious.

Bishop takes the navigational lead and is giving Richie step by step Mapquest instructions.  "Right here, left there, straight on this one…Whoaaa on this corner," until he is positive that we are on the right road.  He instructs Richie to 'give er' so Richie puts it to the boards. 

All I heard was, "Yep, this is the road for sure," then, "GHAAA, WHOAAA," from Bishop.  I instantly popped up to see what they were seeing.  Grass.  Yes, grass.  Richie nails the brakes but they are ineffective due to the dew.  "CRASH MODE," Gump hollers. 

Bishop was right, we were on the right road, but 25 years late since they took the bridge out since then.  With no bridge, we sailed about 20' out and over 10' down into the swift waters of the Brule River.

The down stream door was opened since the raging waters kept Richie from opening the driver side.  Trepidation is a good word to describe the fear we had as we crossed the river hand in hand, like a band of brothers. 

Safely on the other side we took a five and went into a deep moment to philosophize our state of being.  The divine hand of God reached out to us that night was our conclusion.  Our group must be special, Ghandi-like perhaps and were all destined for Greatness.  Hmmmm… I now say to myself.

This story should be over now.. right???  I mean, there is romance, dejection, drama, excitement and resolve.. dun… end of story… nope..

We didn't know where we were so we walked in wet shoes until a darkened landmark was seen.  "Billy Neslo lives about a mile away," I say.  "He will surely give us a ride home." 

Billy Neslo once wrapped a chain around his neighbors neck for chasing their family dog.  "Yeah, he's a good guy," I say.

Pound, Pound, Pound on his door and the dog comes a runnin'.  "For the love of God don't chase it," I say.

Billy comes to the door all sleepy and wondering what the commotion is about.  He let us in and we rehashed the story.  Don't you think he should be have looked at us like we possess Divine powers?  After all, we sailed into the Brule River with nary a scratch.  Instead, he slowly spreads butter and then peanut butter on Saltine crackers and quietly eats them, yawning as he munches. 

Billy then drove us home in his old Chevy truck,  5 of us crammed into the front seat as we rode in silence.

Pappy wakes up from his slumber to see us try to slink in and we kinda tell him the story.  The story with him went something like this:  Richie conned us into taking a ride with him. We somehow ended up in Wisconsin. We stopped to discuss the star formations of Orion and the Big Dipper when dumb Richie didn't engage the parking brake on his car and it rolled into the Brule River. He coulda killed us but we were lucky we chant, all the while poor Richie is thrown under the bus. Pappy goes back to bed with nary an upturn in heartbeat or blood pressure.  Phew, lucky again, we did possess Divine Powers.

It's the next morning and we are up early.  Pappy clearly forgot our story but my Mom is grilling us when uncle Broom pulls into the driveway for a visit.  My brothers and I are now very happy with his distraction. 

Uncle Broom is a great character, he looks like Kenny Rogers, and once, while in the process of a divorce, I heard him sing 'Ya picked a fine time to leave me Lucille,'  over and over at the Shamrock Bar.

Uncle Broom starts telling us this crazy story about what he saw that morning.  He was making the rounds of visiting and stopped on the bridge over the Brule River.  (4 miles downstream from where we flew in)  "I'll be damned," he said, "Never seen anything like it."  "What? What?" we asked.  "I'm standing on the bridge and coming from the bend in the river I see a yellow Volkswagen Bug just bumping down the river heading for Florence, Wisconsin."

My brothers and I freak out (secretly) and plan how we will intercept the bug.  About the time we were ready to leave Uncle Broom tells us he was just joking and that he talked with Billy Neslo before coming to our house. 

He leaks the real story to my parents and we were in trouble… again. 

Since the Bug is still in the river, Brother Gump goes with Richie and the tow truck driver to lift it out.  Gump is a great 'lil' helper and as he was helping the tow truck guy winch the car up, he lost his grip of the handle on the winch.  The handle came spinning back at him where it caught him square on the jaw requiring six stitches.  Evidently Divine Powers were only given to Bishop and I.

Richie finally gets his VW Bug to his house and starts looking it over.  I watched as he opened the passenger door to let the water out.  A little fishing bobber flowed with that water to the ground and I asked Richie if I could have it.  He seemed crabby at my request so I let it go.  No… I didn't make this part up…. Close to six quarts of water/oil came from the engine but Richie did get it running again and used that car for several more years.

On this note I will end my story of romance, dejection, drama, excitement and resolve.  And Tara?  I haven't a clue, and I bet she would never think she would be the stimulus of a story…

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

1 Likeyes

yoop
            Participant

Hi John,

I hope all is going well with you and thanks for the thumbs up. 

Do you think this forum is akin to the towns of the wild West?  Pretty much just tumbleweeds rolling through.

Not even a comment about the greasy handprint on Rosie's cheek. 

My writing career is a bust…. I can't even get a "That sucked" or "You suck" or "Genius Work",,, heehee I threw that in since I know that won't be written…

jag
              Participant

yes Genius Work Yoop!

I don't know if wild west is a good description, I'm thinking more dustbowl.

jag
                Participant

yes Genius Work Yoop!

jag
                  Participant

yes Genius Work Yoop!

jag
                    Participant

Come to think of it, this story would provide a different (and much more interesting) perspective if you just told the truth about these girls being your first cousins.

yoop
                      Participant

You want to hear about that story?  Who told you??? I was drunk and sworn to secrecy, the flippin' video better not surface either… KIDDING…. JUST KIDDING

Hmmm, you want more interesting… let me think…  There was a time I opted to walk back to our hotel after a country music festival… Bad idea since it was about 10 miles away and I instantly took a wrong turn and ended up in BFE.  I had something walking in the woods next to me… I walk, it walked, very scared I was.  Definately was 'The Hodag' since that is what the locals called it but was a Bigfoot for sure.  A couple cars drove by me and wouldn't stop to give me a ride.  Bigfoot is now really close and ready to rip my lips off when a car wanted to get by me but would have had to run me over first since I was in the middle of the road and waving my hands.  The driver rolled down her window an inch and I persuaded her to give me a ride back to festival.  I've hated Bigfoot's ever since.

Sorry, you wanted some type of incest and I gave you Bigfoot.

yoop

yoop
                        Participant

You want to hear about that story?  Who told you??? I was drunk and sworn to secrecy, the flippin' video better not surface either… KIDDING…. JUST KIDDING

Hmmm, you want more interesting… let me think…  There was a time I opted to walk back to our hotel after a country music festival… Bad idea since it was about 10 miles away and I instantly took a wrong turn and ended up in BFE.  I had something walking in the woods next to me… I walk, it walked, very scared I was.  Definately was 'The Hodag' since that is what the locals called it but was a Bigfoot for sure.  A couple cars drove by me and wouldn't stop to give me a ride.  Bigfoot is now really close and ready to rip my lips off when a car wanted to get by me but would have had to run me over first since I was in the middle of the road and waving my hands.  The driver rolled down her window an inch and I persuaded her to give me a ride back to festival.  I've hated Bigfoot's ever since.

yoop

yoop
                          Participant

yoop

jag
                            Participant

Again, simple just replace Bigfoot w/coach BillMFl, and put yourself in the boys shower after school sports.  Bingo!

jag
                              Participant

Again, simple just replace Bigfoot w/coach BillMFl, and put yourself in the boys shower after school sports.  Bingo!

jag
                                Participant

jag
                                  Participant

Come to think of it, this story would provide a different (and much more interesting) perspective if you just told the truth about these girls being your first cousins.

jag
                                    Participant

yoop
                                      Participant

Hi John,

Do you think this forum is akin to the towns of the wild West?  Pretty much just tumbleweeds rolling through.

My writing career is a bust…. I can't even get a "That sucked" or "You suck" or "Genius Work",,, heehee I threw that in since I know that won't be written…

yoop
                                        Participant

Hi John,

jag
                                        Participant

1 Likeyes

jag
                                          Participant

1 Likeyes

BonnieLea
                                            Participant

I just love the characters.  Good story.  Keep them up.  Take care my friend.

Bonnielea

BonnieLea
                                              Participant

Bonnielea

BonnieLea
                                                Participant

Bonnielea

jag
                                                    Participant

How's it hanging BL? I know you won't complain even if it isn't so good.  Definitely hang in there, and say hello to bob and the cats for me, and for godsakes, don't get snakebit..  Mama is looking big these days.  Never thought I would be attracted to a prego, but the more I see her, the better she (and the bump) look.  7 more weeks!

BonnieLea
                                                      Participant

Dear husband of PREGO? 

tsk tsk tsk.  Keep on and your dear better half will smack you with her protrusion of belly.  Husbands are suppose to love, admire, and adore the tummys containing the best thing that will ever happen to them. 

I can hardly wait   to find out if it is a little J  or a little M.

I know about the snake  (big furry one remember?)  This is the same campsite that it happened at HMMMM   We take kitties to the vet on the 21 of March I shall then ask the doc about the drug for Chloe and her hip or elbow (he called it her elbow, do kitties have elbows?  Bob is doing great,  he went through a rough time when I was in the hospital, as it was a different hobbithall and it took him hours in rush hour traffic to get to see me and they (hobbithall were stickler for visttors)  Then the long drive home.  Then looking after me.  It was terrible.  Newmoaniya, terrible skin breakdown from adhesive causing a real mess of oooze  oh ick…… and bladder big time infection.  But at least they got the whole tumour out and left me with plenty of kidney whew!  what next?  NOTHING

Love Bonnie Lea

BonnieLea
                                                        Participant

Dear husband of PREGO? 

tsk tsk tsk.  Keep on and your dear better half will smack you with her protrusion of belly.  Husbands are suppose to love, admire, and adore the tummys containing the best thing that will ever happen to them. 

I know about the snake  (big furry one remember?)  This is the same campsite that it happened at HMMMM   We take kitties to the vet on the 21 of March I shall then ask the doc about the drug for Chloe and her hip or elbow (he called it her elbow, do kitties have elbows?  Bob is doing great,  he went through a rough time when I was in the hospital, as it was a different hobbithall and it took him hours in rush hour traffic to get to see me and they (hobbithall were stickler for visttors)  Then the long drive home.  Then looking after me.  It was terrible.  Newmoaniya, terrible skin breakdown from adhesive causing a real mess of oooze  oh ick…… and bladder big time infection.  But at least they got the whole tumour out and left me with plenty of kidney whew!  what next?  NOTHING

Love Bonnie Lea

BonnieLea
                                                          Participant

Dear husband of PREGO? 

Love Bonnie Lea

jag
                                                            Participant

How's it hanging BL? I know you won't complain even if it isn't so good.  Definitely hang in there, and say hello to bob and the cats for me, and for godsakes, don't get snakebit..  Mama is looking big these days.  Never thought I would be attracted to a prego, but the more I see her, the better she (and the bump) look.  7 more weeks!

jag
                                                              Participant

yoop
                                                                Participant

Morning Bonnielea,

I hope you are doing well…. spring is right around the corner and the bears and looking forward to your first visit. 

Take care,

yoop

BonnieLea
                                                                  Participant

Oh my dear Mr. Yoop

I have booked my vacation already and will head out July 8 in the wee small hours.  DD is coming along as well, to help her dad and I set up our massive (grows each year) campsite, as I am rather useless at the moment.  and for the next while me thinks.    But ya even same Provincial Park, but this campground is diff from where we were last year, but again we have seen BARES there too! like 3 years ago, one wandered lonely as a tree! terrorizing other campers,  ME?  just jumped into the truck (after being dragged by DH)

This is the same camping spot as when on my birthday three years ago, a sort of Hurricane blew through and down came our tents, one with DD in it who was preparing canapes for said birthday pahtee!  hahaha  She will stay a week in her own campsite, then her by then Husband will join her and then they come home.  Then my Sonny Boy and his better half will come up the second week.

DD is getting married in two weeks, this is why (part) why I have been quiet.  Hard to do the mother of bride expctations just not long after the kidley surgery of mid Jan.  SIGH  but at least it wasnt melanoma  just regular kidney cancer  So I have had in my short life (ahem)  three different types of cancer! all within  8 years.  This afternoon (sunday) I join DD and her buddies in the beeeeeg city for English Tea at the King Edward Hotel.  so I must be cool.  and not fall asleep in the tea pot like the door mouse of ALICE fame.

thankyou for the stories. 

BonnieLea
                                                                    Participant

Oh my dear Mr. Yoop

I have booked my vacation already and will head out July 8 in the wee small hours.  DD is coming along as well, to help her dad and I set up our massive (grows each year) campsite, as I am rather useless at the moment.  and for the next while me thinks.    But ya even same Provincial Park, but this campground is diff from where we were last year, but again we have seen BARES there too! like 3 years ago, one wandered lonely as a tree! terrorizing other campers,  ME?  just jumped into the truck (after being dragged by DH)

This is the same camping spot as when on my birthday three years ago, a sort of Hurricane blew through and down came our tents, one with DD in it who was preparing canapes for said birthday pahtee!  hahaha  She will stay a week in her own campsite, then her by then Husband will join her and then they come home.  Then my Sonny Boy and his better half will come up the second week.

DD is getting married in two weeks, this is why (part) why I have been quiet.  Hard to do the mother of bride expctations just not long after the kidley surgery of mid Jan.  SIGH  but at least it wasnt melanoma  just regular kidney cancer  So I have had in my short life (ahem)  three different types of cancer! all within  8 years.  This afternoon (sunday) I join DD and her buddies in the beeeeeg city for English Tea at the King Edward Hotel.  so I must be cool.  and not fall asleep in the tea pot like the door mouse of ALICE fame.

BonnieLea
                                                                      Participant

Oh my dear Mr. Yoop

yoop
                                                                        Participant

Morning Bonnielea,

I hope you are doing well…. spring is right around the corner and the bears and looking forward to your first visit. 

Take care,

yoop

yoop
                                                                          Participant

Morning Bonnielea,

Take care,

yoop

keyon
                                                                          Participant

How low can we get for a presidential candidate?  How do you trust someone with a personal life and professional career littered with disgracefull behavior. Toss in a pugnacious, arguementative, negative personality and what do you have? A combination of DanT, Jag and BG with a pot belly and a skinny bottle

jag
                                                                              Participant

Can't you even spell right?

Who cares if he can spell. The stragglers still here enjoy the effort.  Posts are far and few between these days. Hope you are enjoying the fruit of your labor as your dogged vitriol turned this place into a dustbowl.  I offer sincere congratulations on the impending birth of your child. Fatherhood changes a person, most for the better. It's a shame the improvement in behavior will be too late for all the patients who've lost a resource that provided enjoyment for many years before your fanaticism and resentment brought it down.

Who cares if he can spell. The stragglers still here enjoy the effort.  Posts are far and few between these days. Hope you are enjoying the fruit of your labor as your dogged vitriol turned this place into a dustbowl.  I offer sincere congratulations on the impending birth of your child. Fatherhood changes a person, most for the better. It's a shame the improvement in behavior will be too late for all the patients who've lost a resource that provided enjoyment for many years before your fanaticism and resentment brought it down.

jag
                                                                                Participant

Ooooh, very creative, The Speckled Hen and monkey.  Nobody would suspect you disguised as a man, why not try Chaz?

jag
                                                                                  Participant

Ooooh, very creative, The Speckled Hen and monkey.  Nobody would suspect you disguised as a man, why not try Chaz?

jag
                                                                                    Participant

jag
                                                                                      Participant

jag
                                                                                        Participant

keyon
                                                                                        Participant

How low can we get for a presidential candidate?  How do you trust someone with a personal life and professional career littered with disgracefull behavior. Toss in a pugnacious, arguementative, negative personality and what do you have? A combination of DanT, Jag and BG with a pot belly and a skinny bottle

keyon
                                                                                          Participant

BillMFl
                                                                                            Participant

Apparantly there are still three people who still visit here. Well make that two and a half since John is obviously only partially still there. 

jag
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  Keep going w/pictures of your grandkids, this place will be packed with so many new fun people maybe mix it up w/something from that Bingo game too.

Yeah that will work.

I’m thinking it is more like 5-6 people and 1 troll.

jag
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Keep going w/pictures of your grandkids, this place will be packed with so many new fun people maybe mix it up w/something from that Bingo game too.

Yeah that will work.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                    Participant

i am here.  Dotter got married finally (yesterday) it was grand and elegant but much more in the FUN lines.  Interfaith marriage went so loverly.  Now I can rest more. 

who be your troll?  more than 5 or six of us.  just some must be SHY???

Luff Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                      Participant

i am here.  Dotter got married finally (yesterday) it was grand and elegant but much more in the FUN lines.  Interfaith marriage went so loverly.  Now I can rest more. 

Luff Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                        Participant

Luff Bonnie Lea

jag
                                                                                                          Participant

Yeah that will work.

BillMFl
                                                                                                          Participant

Apparantly there are still three people who still visit here. Well make that two and a half since John is obviously only partially still there. 

BillMFl
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics