The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Malignant Spitzoid Melanoma Diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Malignant Spitzoid Melanoma Diagnosis

Participant

Hi all,

Hi all,

I was just dx'd with having melanoma last week. Two lesions one on my rib cage is in situ, the other on my inner calf is malignant spitzoid melanoma. The questions I have are the following: spitzoid melanomas are very rare? I have done a lot of research and to say the least data is conflicting with these types of melanomas. My patho report showed a lesion 1.6mm, Clark's IV, Growth phase vertical, mitotic rate=0, TIL's non-brisk, Regression absent, ulceration absent, perineural invasion absent, lymphovascular invasion absent, margins uninvolved but melanoma is present 3mm from the nearest margin, satellites absent. Does anyone have any idea of what the heck this all means. I know all of the technical jargon and I know how to interpret these different diagnostic factors but what I don't know is does this patho report sound good? It does sound pretty hopeful to me due to the absence of so many factors. I have done a lot research with regard to pathology of these lesions and I see nothing that mimics my report in the least. I was just curious what you all might think being that you have been dealing with this longer than I have. I have been making myself crazy trying to figure all of this out. I am a nurse so Type A would be an understatement LOL;). I have an appt this Friday with an oncologist who specializes in melanoma and I realize he can answer all of these questions but if I can talk to someone before hand I think it would ease my mind. thanks in advance for any comments you all have to offer. I wish you all the best with your dx's as well.

Brandi

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        DonW
        Participant

Brandi — I found some info that spitzoid melanoma would have the same prognosis as other melanoma variants. I assume that would mean that the treatment would be the same as well. Normally with a melanoma 1.6mm thick you would have a sentinel node biopsy to check a few lymph nodes for melanoma. This would be done along with your wide excision. Otherwise,as you said, the factors look good. Assuming this is the route you take, the results of the node biopsy will determine if you need any further treatment or if  you just need observation and checkups. Good luck and let us know what the oncologist has to say.

Brandi
            Participant

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been making myself crazy with this. Thank you for the well wishes.

Janner
              Participant

You somehow managed to post this on the Off Topic bulletin board.  If you reposted it on the main bulletin board, you might get other responses.  However, Don covered the response pretty well… and waiting for more information definitely sucks.

Best wishes,

Janner

Brandi
                Participant

Janner,

Thanks for letting me know I have no idea how I posted on the off topic board. Now, how do I change that? I'm new to the site and not exactly sure what I did wrong. Thanks for the well wishes. I am hoping the doc has hopeful news for me on Friday. I am really not wanting the SLN done I guess if I have to I have no choice but believe me I am not happy about the thought.

Thanks again,

Brandi

W.
                  Participant

Hi,

there is a menu on left side of the screen where you chose the board. It can be a bit confusing because of the indentation. 

COMMUNITY

Community central

Bulletin board       <- click here to go to the main board
                       Offtopic board
                       …

You can read some basic info about the SLN here: http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/types-therapy-melanoma

It is not such a bad procedure and it's important for staging, so I would recommend it. But nevertheless I want to emphasize that you DO have a choice. What treatment you chose is always YOUR decision.

W.
                    Participant

Hi,

there is a menu on left side of the screen where you chose the board. It can be a bit confusing because of the indentation. 

COMMUNITY

Community central

Bulletin board       <- click here to go to the main board
                         Offtopic board
                         …

You can read some basic info about the SLN here: http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/types-therapy-melanoma

It is not such a bad procedure and it's important for staging, so I would recommend it. But nevertheless I want to emphasize that you DO have a choice. What treatment you chose is always YOUR decision.

Brandi
                      Participant

Janner,

Thanks for letting me know I have no idea how I posted on the off topic board. Now, how do I change that? I'm new to the site and not exactly sure what I did wrong. Thanks for the well wishes. I am hoping the doc has hopeful news for me on Friday. I am really not wanting the SLN done I guess if I have to I have no choice but believe me I am not happy about the thought.

Thanks again,

Brandi

Janner
                        Participant

You somehow managed to post this on the Off Topic bulletin board.  If you reposted it on the main bulletin board, you might get other responses.  However, Don covered the response pretty well… and waiting for more information definitely sucks.

Best wishes,

Janner

Brandi
                          Participant

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been making myself crazy with this. Thank you for the well wishes.

DonW
                          Participant

Brandi — I found some info that spitzoid melanoma would have the same prognosis as other melanoma variants. I assume that would mean that the treatment would be the same as well. Normally with a melanoma 1.6mm thick you would have a sentinel node biopsy to check a few lymph nodes for melanoma. This would be done along with your wide excision. Otherwise,as you said, the factors look good. Assuming this is the route you take, the results of the node biopsy will determine if you need any further treatment or if  you just need observation and checkups. Good luck and let us know what the oncologist has to say.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics