The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mage3 Side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Mage3 Side effects

Participant

Has anyone had side effects with the Mag3 vaccine?

Monday was the first time I've taken the Mage3 vaccine without a week of HIL-2.  I developed flu like symptoms with a temperature of up to 101.

What has been your experience with the Mage3 vaccine?

Has anyone had side effects with the Mag3 vaccine?

Monday was the first time I've taken the Mage3 vaccine without a week of HIL-2.  I developed flu like symptoms with a temperature of up to 101.

What has been your experience with the Mage3 vaccine?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

I've had several symptoms: slight fever, nausea, sweats, extreme fatigue, and a general feeling of malaise This leads me to believe that I'm probably getting the vaccine as opposed to the placebo. When the nausea has hit, it's usually been within about 2 hours of getting the injection. The fatigue kicks in about 5-6 hours after getting the injection. It's pretty intense. After the last shot, I slept sitting up on my couch from 4:00pm to 9:00pm. Then I got up to go to the bathroom and fell asleep sitting on the pot! I did make it to bed and slept through the night.

For me the symptoms vary from month to month but the most predominant one is the fatigue. The side effects always go away in about 24 -48 hours and are tolerable.

Hope this helps!

Linny
          Participant

I've had several symptoms: slight fever, nausea, sweats, extreme fatigue, and a general feeling of malaise This leads me to believe that I'm probably getting the vaccine as opposed to the placebo. When the nausea has hit, it's usually been within about 2 hours of getting the injection. The fatigue kicks in about 5-6 hours after getting the injection. It's pretty intense. After the last shot, I slept sitting up on my couch from 4:00pm to 9:00pm. Then I got up to go to the bathroom and fell asleep sitting on the pot! I did make it to bed and slept through the night.

For me the symptoms vary from month to month but the most predominant one is the fatigue. The side effects always go away in about 24 -48 hours and are tolerable.

Hope this helps!

Linny
            Participant

Hope this helps!

michelleg
              Participant

I am in the same trial as Linny.  Like Linny, I assume I am getting the vaccine too because of the side effects.  I have fatique, body aches, sweats and general malaise also.  I usually get a large reaction at the injection site.  Linny and I are having overall the same side effects.  I received the last injection for the trial in September.  Hope this  helps!

Michelle – stage 3b

Linny
                  Participant

Congratulations on reaching the "final injection" milestone, Michelle! I think I have two more shots left. I'm glad to hear most of our symptoms are consistent. I don't get the reaction at the injection site, thouugh. But then, I don't even get a reaction at the injection site when I get a flu shot, either. I hope to God this vaccine winds up being worthy of approval so those at Stage III B/C will have an option.

Linny
                    Participant

Congratulations on reaching the "final injection" milestone, Michelle! I think I have two more shots left. I'm glad to hear most of our symptoms are consistent. I don't get the reaction at the injection site, thouugh. But then, I don't even get a reaction at the injection site when I get a flu shot, either. I hope to God this vaccine winds up being worthy of approval so those at Stage III B/C will have an option.

Linny
                      Participant

michelleg
                      Participant

I am in the same trial as Linny.  Like Linny, I assume I am getting the vaccine too because of the side effects.  I have fatique, body aches, sweats and general malaise also.  I usually get a large reaction at the injection site.  Linny and I are having overall the same side effects.  I received the last injection for the trial in September.  Hope this  helps!

Michelle – stage 3b

michelleg
                        Participant

Michelle – stage 3b

Swanee
                          Participant

Hi Brent,

I too, did the Mage 3 vaccine, it was the first treatment I did.  I got the vaccine and experienced the symptoms that Linny and Michelle describe.  I received 6 vaccines, but another subcutaneous tumor was discovered and so I was eliminated from the study, which I thought was unfair as it was so small and was probably there at the start but not big enough to show up on a PET/CT scan.  Since then, I went on to do the ippi, which did not turn out well for me, only receiving one dose and having a severe reaction that ended that treatment.  One thing that I did note with the Mage 3 protoccol is that the  injection needs to last for 30 seconds….meaning the nurse needs to do it very slowly.  One time the nurse gave the injection in 10 seconds and I had a major reaction in my arm, so after that,  I had to remind the nurse to take her time and make sure the injection was done slowly and as much as possible, stick to the recommended 30 seconds, it made all the difference.   I hope your treatment is successful and I think the Mage A3 was a mild and reasonable treatment compared to some of the other treatments out there.  Good luck to you and keep us posted with your progress and results.

Best wishes,

Swanee

Swanee
                            Participant

Hi Brent,

I too, did the Mage 3 vaccine, it was the first treatment I did.  I got the vaccine and experienced the symptoms that Linny and Michelle describe.  I received 6 vaccines, but another subcutaneous tumor was discovered and so I was eliminated from the study, which I thought was unfair as it was so small and was probably there at the start but not big enough to show up on a PET/CT scan.  Since then, I went on to do the ippi, which did not turn out well for me, only receiving one dose and having a severe reaction that ended that treatment.  One thing that I did note with the Mage 3 protoccol is that the  injection needs to last for 30 seconds….meaning the nurse needs to do it very slowly.  One time the nurse gave the injection in 10 seconds and I had a major reaction in my arm, so after that,  I had to remind the nurse to take her time and make sure the injection was done slowly and as much as possible, stick to the recommended 30 seconds, it made all the difference.   I hope your treatment is successful and I think the Mage A3 was a mild and reasonable treatment compared to some of the other treatments out there.  Good luck to you and keep us posted with your progress and results.

Best wishes,

Swanee

Swanee
                              Participant

Hi Brent,

Best wishes,

Swanee

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics