The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MacVac Trial, 7th shot

Forums General Melanoma Community MacVac Trial, 7th shot

Participant

For those following my little clinical trial, I figure it's time for an update. I had my 7th shot on Wednesday. They rotate these shots between my two thighs and my right arm, my left arm is a 'no-stick' arm. So far, my most consistant side effect to my vaccine has been a headache, which I did NOT have this time. My site reactions have consistantly gotten worse with each shot, and the reaction on my arm this time was pretty fast and continued to get worse till about this morning, but is much better tonight.

For those following my little clinical trial, I figure it's time for an update. I had my 7th shot on Wednesday. They rotate these shots between my two thighs and my right arm, my left arm is a 'no-stick' arm. So far, my most consistant side effect to my vaccine has been a headache, which I did NOT have this time. My site reactions have consistantly gotten worse with each shot, and the reaction on my arm this time was pretty fast and continued to get worse till about this morning, but is much better tonight.

This month's reaction has given me a new empathy for those who suffer from lymphadema. My arm was swollen from shoulder to below my elbow. Last night was fairly painful, with the swelling around my elbow giving me the most problems, making it very difficult to bend my arm without pain. I'm still swollen tonight, but it's not painful anymore, and I think the itching has stopped.

I still feel like the side effects of this trial are very mild, especially when compared with other treatments and trials.

Hard to believe but I only have ONE shot left. I go back for skin tests and shots next month from the 8th the the 10th and then I am done with all of these trips to California. I feel very confident about making it through the trial without any recurrences.

This month it's been 2 yrs since I advanced to stage IV and, needless to say, I am thrilled to still be NED. I was NED for 11 months before starting the vaccine, so I guess there will never be any way to know if my continued good status is a result of the trial, or just my own good luck

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

hey dian,

Thanks for the update and it's so good to know that you only have one more to go.

Best,

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
          Participant

hey dian,

Thanks for the update and it's so good to know that you only have one more to go.

Best,

Jerry from Cape Cod

Janner
            Participant

Keep on keeping on, girl!!!  Glad to hear you at least had a headache reprieve.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Keep on keeping on, girl!!!  Glad to hear you at least had a headache reprieve.

Best wishes,

Janner

naty
                Participant

That's great news!!  

naty
                  Participant

That's great news!!  

BethA in VA
                    Participant

Celebrate you NED status.  And good luck with your last shot.  Sounds like you have done great with the trial.  ๐Ÿ™‚  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                      Participant

Celebrate you NED status.  And good luck with your last shot.  Sounds like you have done great with the trial.  ๐Ÿ™‚  Beth 3/B

Jim in Denver
                        Participant

Hi Dian,

Thanks very much for the update.  I've been wondering how you are doing, and things seem to be going pretty well.  The trial and being NED thing sound really good too!  Your spirit and humor are always a big part of your inspiration to the rest of us, so keep going forward and keep us posted now and then. 

Best Always,

Jim

Jim in Denver
                          Participant

Hi Dian,

Thanks very much for the update.  I've been wondering how you are doing, and things seem to be going pretty well.  The trial and being NED thing sound really good too!  Your spirit and humor are always a big part of your inspiration to the rest of us, so keep going forward and keep us posted now and then. 

Best Always,

Jim

lhaley
                            Participant

Dian,

So glad it's almost over!  Whether it's your luck or the trial continued NED status is the goal!

Linda

NED 1 month

lhaley
                              Participant

Dian,

So glad it's almost over!  Whether it's your luck or the trial continued NED status is the goal!

Linda

NED 1 month

Sharyn
                                Participant

Hi Dian,

Happy to see you're doing so well on this trial, despite the swelling. When I was on GM-CSF, my shot site would swell up too, so I know what you're going through. But like you said, pretty mild side effects compared to others. I just had my 3rd ipi infusion on Nov 4th, and no side effects for me so far. I hope your upcoming scans show continued NED.

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                  Participant

Hi Dian,

Happy to see you're doing so well on this trial, despite the swelling. When I was on GM-CSF, my shot site would swell up too, so I know what you're going through. But like you said, pretty mild side effects compared to others. I just had my 3rd ipi infusion on Nov 4th, and no side effects for me so far. I hope your upcoming scans show continued NED.

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                    Participant

Hi Dian,

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                      Participant

Hi Dian,

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

King
                                        Participant

Thanks for the update, Dian.  I am so happy that you are almost done and more importantly, still NED!!! ๐Ÿ™‚  Sometimes, we don't know why…especially when we go into a treatment NED.  Many times I am asked how I have survived so long as a Stage IV patient…..I just don't know that answer.  If I did, I would be sure to tell everyone.

Stay Strong

Kathie

King
                                          Participant

Thanks for the update, Dian.  I am so happy that you are almost done and more importantly, still NED!!! ๐Ÿ™‚  Sometimes, we don't know why…especially when we go into a treatment NED.  Many times I am asked how I have survived so long as a Stage IV patient…..I just don't know that answer.  If I did, I would be sure to tell everyone.

Stay Strong

Kathie

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics