The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph Nodes that lit up “brighter” than previous scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph Nodes that lit up “brighter” than previous scan

Participant

Hi everybody,

Here is a question for all my experts on this board.  My husband (Stage 3b) had a petscan last week.  His scan 3 months ago showed that 3 lymph nodes were mildly bright and wee bit larger.  I believe our Oncologist said he did not think they were cancerous, possibly carbon filled due to my husband being a contractor.  Fast forward to last week with recent scan and those 3 lymph nodes are now a bit brighter than 3 months ago.  Any one have this experience?  He has had 5 infusions of Opdivo and they are going to have him have 4 more than do another scan.

Donna  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Donna, didn't want to leave you hanging for an answer, but I haven't had petscans just regular Ct scans. My understanding is that you should have uptake # from previous scan to compare to most recent scan. Hopefully Jenn or some other member that has gotten regular petscans will chime in and give more guidance!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed

jennunicorn
          Participant

Opdivo will make lymph nodes light up, they are being reactive. I can't tell you how many PET scans I have had with lymph nodes lighting up sometimes brighter one time and less another and visa versa. I would get CTs with my PET scans and that would tell us if something is lighting up and looking suspicious in the CT also.. if it was normal size in CT and PET FDG uptake was low (under 7) then it was reactive and nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be worried since being in the middle of treatment this is quite normal. 

miaka618
            Participant

My experience is a little bit different. Every lymph node that lit up for consecutive scans were eventually biopsied and came back positive which bumped me up to a 3C. I have had about 6 additional positive nodes removed. At the same time, I haven't been on any extensive treatment with the exception of radiation. Right now we are keeping our eyes on 3 additional lymph nodes that are lighting up and increased in size, but their activity has downgraded a bit since the last scan.

I would say that because he is on treatment, the lymph nodes might be reactive and it is best just to keep an eye on them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics