The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph node biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph node biopsy

Participant

I have stage lV metastatic melanoma and have gotten Keytruda treatments for over a year. I now have 2 swollen  lymph nodes in my underarm. I am scheduled for a pet scan tomorrow and a biopsy in April. I'm curious what might be done about them. One has doubled and redoubled in size while taking treatments. I am not cancer free but a lot has disappeared and gotten smaller and is now stable except for the lymph nodes. I am new to this forum. Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bradley75
        Participant

Hi Dwarla,

Welcome to this forum and sorry you have to be here.  I am a fellow stage 4 patient with a rather long history with this beast of a disease.  I have had reactive lymph nodes three different times.  They did the same procedure for me as they are doing for you.  All three times the biopsies came back as not cancer.  Very important to get them checked out, but they may not be what they seem to be.  Lymph nodes can get angry for many other reasons.  Praying for good results for you.

-Brad

Bradley75
            Participant

Did not mean to post as anon.  Sorry about that.

Dwarla
              Participant

Thank you so much for your info and prayers. Good to know that it very well may not be cancer. Sending prayers right back at you!

Dwarla
                Participant

Thank you so much for your info and prayers. Good to know that it very well may not be cancer. Sending prayers right back at you!

Dwarla
                  Participant

Bubbles
                  Participant

Glad someone like Brad, posted to you Dwarla, cause he makes an important point.  Lymph nodes can enlarge for many reasons…melanoma being only one of them.  Plus, at times areas that once did have melanoma in them can swell due to an influx of t-cells and inflammation to the area triggered by our body's immune response.  Because of that enlargement there are many patients who have them removed only to find the lesion filled with debris and dead cells with no viable or minimal melanoma present.

On the other hand, we know that melanoma can rear its ugly head again even after we have responded well to therapy.  More folks than we would like experience things like that.  "Jubes" on this forum had done very well but then developed an isolated lesion in her lung.  She had it surgically removed, did not restart therapy, (If memory serves she had already completed pembro…but you can look it up on the forum.) and is doing very well.  Surgery in and of itself can be a great treatment…esp if you continue with your immunotherapy.  Of course, sometimes given what is found, the patient's wishes and the doc's advice….a different systemic treatment may be needed.  Those are out there as well….should they be required.

However, at this point, I am going to keep fingers and toes crossed that you get good results on your biopsy in April.  Sorry you have to join this forum, but it is filled with lots of smart, caring peepsl  Ask more quesitons as you need.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Dwarla
                      Participant

Thank you so much for your answer. Everyone is very supportive on here!

I'm not sure how we ended up with 3 replies above. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics